IGNORED

More GOP lunacy about girl scouts.

doggie

Well it is only one nutjob that believes everything they read on the net but still it is crazy. One of these days the squirrels are going to attack and hall all of these flakes off hopefully.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... 89489.html

An Indiana lawmaker has decided not to support a resolution celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts because he feels the group is a "radicalized organization" that "sexualizes" young girls and promotes homosexuality.

In a letter sent to Indiana lawmakers obtained by the Journal Gazette, Rep. Bob Morris (R-Fort Wayne) said he plans to pull his two daughters out of their Indiana Girl Scout troop because information he found online about how the organization allegedly operates. One source he mentions is conservative "news" site World Net Daily.

The Associated Press reports:

... Morris said he found online allegations that the Girl Scouts are a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood, encourage sex and allow transgender females to join. He also wrote that the fact that first lady Michelle Obama is honorary president should give lawmakers pause before they endorse the Girl Scouts.

Morris goes on to say those considered role models by the Girl Scouts are all "feminists, lesbians, or Communists" and claims that troops are no longer allowed to pray or sing Christmas Carols. (Read Morris's full letter to lawmakers here)

Morris is the only Indiana lawmaker who has refused to sign the nonbinding resolution, which aims to honor the "strong positive influence" the group has had on American women.

The Girl Scouts have been criticized by conservatives after allowing a 7-year-old transgender child into a Colorado troop in the fall. Ashley Sharp, assistant director of marketing for the Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana, told the Indiana News Center that there are several websites dedicated to "exposing" the organization.

“Misinformation is passing as fact,†Diane Tipton, president of the Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s Capital, told the Washington Post in January. “The Girl Scout organization does not take a position on abortion or birth control, and these topics are not part of the Girl Scout program or our materials. We believe these matters are best discussed by girls with their families.â€

In response to these allegations, the Girl Scouts have released a statement of where they stand on sensitive issues here [PDF].

And then there's the GS troop that ousted a leader because she was involved in an online business with her husband that was perceived as less than savory.

Girl Scouts can't win either way.

Morris said he found online allegations that the Girl Scouts are a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood, encourage sex and allow transgender females to join. He also wrote that the fact that first lady Michelle Obama is honorary president should give lawmakers pause before they endorse the Girl Scouts.

Oh no, they encourage girls to think and stretch! Must be evil.

Also, the First Lady is always asked to be the honorary president. Laura Bush, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan - all of them have also held that post. It's...what's that word? Oh yes, TRADITIONAL.

And when it comes to people my daughter looks up to, there could be a LOT worse than Michelle Obama, at least in my opinion.

He also wrote that the fact that first lady Michelle Obama is honorary president should give lawmakers pause before they endorse the Girl Scouts.

Huh? Why should THAT "give lawmakers pause"? She's the First Lady! Just because this guy doesn't agree with her political views?

I have already purchased two boxes of cookies from the GirlScouts, and will continue to do so every time I see them. Love those GirlsScouts!

I have already purchased two boxes of cookies from the GirlScouts, and will continue to do so every time I see them. Love those GirlsScouts!

I gave my Mom lots of boxes of Thin Mints, and bought lots of variety for myself. Mine are all in my freezer until company comes or I want a special treat, since I am not eating sweets right now.

And I made sure the parents of the Scout knew why I was buying more than usual -- they loved it (and hadn't actually known about the controversy).

Huh? Why should THAT "give lawmakers pause"? She's the First Lady! Just because this guy doesn't agree with her political views?

Oh oh, and don't forget, she's also (looks left and right before whispering) black.

Oh, oh, oh and also, she's not really the First Lady because her husband is not the truly elected President of our United States of America. He's an usurper and so is she. Hmph!

I would add a laughing smile, but sadly too many people actually believe the above.

On a happier note: HAPPY MARDI GRAS!

Just here to say - my Girl Scout cookies arrived yesterday! Bought them from a girl I tutor in ebil secular subjects like math and reading. And religion, since she goes to a Catholic school, but she actually knows more of that than I do (except I'm the one with the answer key . . .). The mom describes herself as a "cafeteria Catholic" for whatever that's worth.

Quick! Someone tell this guy you can get an iPad for $29.37 if you act quickly! I read it on teh Internets, so it must be true!

Jeez, you expect this from the politicians of the smaller towns in the boonies (such as the dumbass who isn't going to give up on having religious nonsense taught in science class), but this guy is from Ft. Wayne, the second biggest city in the state. I have no idea why it matters, but it's bother me even more so. If we cant get progressive thinkers in the bigger cities, what hope do I have?

Quick! Someone tell this guy you can get an iPad for $29.37 if you act quickly! I read it on teh Internets, so it must be true!

Jeez, you expect this from the politicians of the smaller towns in the boonies (such as the dumbass who isn't going to give up on having religious nonsense taught in science class), but this guy is from Ft. Wayne, the second biggest city in the state. I have no idea why it matters, but it's bother me even more so. If we cant get progressive thinkers in the bigger cities, what hope do I have?

I really hate that assumption of larger cities are more enlightened than smaller towns.

I really hate that assumption of larger cities are more enlightened than smaller towns.

But typically, they do tend to be more liberal. I'm not saying that all small towns are conservative and backwater by any means. Just saying that I am much more surprised to see this in my state, since the whacko legislation is usually coming from people who represent cities of 13,000 people. But I shouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

"He also wrote that the fact that first lady Michelle Obama is honorary president should give lawmakers pause before they endorse the Girl Scouts. "

The president is commander in chief of the military. So I guess Republicans should all flee from the military?

Guest Anonymous

This is sad. Last year when my daughter was outside of a store selling cookies with her troop, a man approached us and said he would never buy G/S cookies again because the organization supports Planned Parenthood. Of course I wanted to say something back to this guy but with 5 little girls around me watching I couldn't. We start our sales outside stores again this friday..we'll see what things I may hear this time around :roll:

This makes me so angry. I'm a former Girl Scout and I am so offended. Girl Scouts are destroying families and promoting abortion? I guess my troop skipped over the Abortion badge where we learned the alternative use for a coat hanger (to quote one of my twitter followers). And, come to think of it, we also skipped over the "Hate Christianity" and "Become a Lesbian" badges too! Shit, we were the hippies of the Girl Scout world! /sarcasm

Can these extremists just stop mincing words and say they hate the Girl Scouts because it's an organization that encourages girls to be strong, intelligent leaders who can do anything if they put their mind to it? And that they expect all girls to be at home, in the kitchen? Ridiculous.

Morris goes on to say those considered role models by the Girl Scouts are all "feminists, lesbians, or Communists" and claims that troops are no longer allowed to pray or sing Christmas Carols. (Read Morris's full letter to lawmakers here)

That right there is bullshit because every holiday season, my troop and some of the others in our council would visit the local nursing home and sing Christmas (and Hanukkah!) songs and pass out gifts and cards we made.

And we bought a ton of cookies this year and it turns out, my cousin's selling them now too. BUYING SOME MORE!

Edited for content

All of the right-wing hate directed at the Girl Scouts this year has just made me give them more of my money. My thighs may never recover from the influx of Thin Mints.

Hopefully, these jerks will keep it up and all of the evil liberals like me will donate enough to fund more community service, personal growth, and self-awareness.

I've always been happy to support the Girl scouts (was one myself about 40 years ago), but this year I think we purchased over 20 boxes of the cookies..with 2 teens and a niece and nephew in college, they went pretty quickly. By the way, the ABC cookie company (who makes them in our area..NJ) now makes 2 vegan versions, the Thin Mints and the Peanut Butter patties. My 21 year old niece who is vegan was thrilled to find this out, and took 4 boxes off my hands :) Hopefully they had record amounts raised this year toward their support.

This is sad. Last year when my daughter was outside of a store selling cookies with her troop, a man approached us and said he would never buy G/S cookies again because the organization supports Planned Parenthood. Of course I wanted to say something back to this guy but with 5 little girls around me watching I couldn't. We start our sales outside stores again this friday..we'll see what things I may hear this time around :roll:

Someone did that at our booth sale on Saturday. My 8 year old replied "You support unplanned parenthood?" she had no idea what PP was but thought parenthood should definitely be planned rather than a random accident or something. :lol:

Someone did that at our booth sale on Saturday. My 8 year old replied "You support unplanned parenthood?" she had no idea what PP was but thought parenthood should definitely be planned rather than a random accident or something. :lol:

Your daughter rocks!

And WHY have there been NO cookie sales anywhere I've been? Sheesh. I guess I have to buy the Keebler knock-offs. Really, not once this year have I seen any sales.

Archived