IGNORED

According to Santorum, Women can Cause Distractions

Anxious Girl

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46340313/ ... ay_people/

He believes that it's part of our culture that draws men in the battlefield to protect women soldiers which distracts them from the mission at hand. He believes that if women were withdrawn from the fields, then men wouldn't be distracted and could more effectively complete the mission at hand. Remember people, this is the same guy who wants to send the military back to the Middle East.

Because there's a West Wing clip for every occasion...

_f7js0mLwY4

Admiral Fitzwallace: I also think the military wasn't designed to be an instrument of social change... Problem with that is, that's what they were saying about me 50 years ago. Blacks shouldn't serve with whites, it would disrupt the unit. You know what? It did disrupt the unit. The unit got over it. The unit changed. I'm an admiral in the U.S. Navy and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Beat that with a stick.

What an idiot. Does this moron not realize that women are playing a vital role in the current occupations this country is in?

There are special female teams that specifically go on missions to specifically help/aid/deal with the women and children of he middle east to accommodate policies/religious views of these nations. And yes, they do get hurt and killed! I really hate it when dickwads who never served think they have any valid input as an overall voice for the armed service members. It doesn't matter if you are a female or a male. When it comes down to it you are still a Marine, Sailor, Solider, Airmen/women, etc. When this idiot has gone through basic, has actually been deployed alongside females and has actually done missions with them, then he can freaking talk about the emotional state of a man in deployment and what sidetracks a male member of the armed forces from doing their job. Because I can assure you, they tend to get distracted by THEIR WIVES back home. hmmmmm I don't know what would tear with my emotions more if I was a male service member, a female service member serving alongside a me, who was trained to get the job done and upholds professionalism, who WILLINGLY signed up for the same selfless, risky job as I did. Or my cheating wife sending me a Dear John letter/getting into a fight with her over the satellite phone and having it cut out before a resolution is made. Being a former military so, I can assure you they are MUCH more emotionally distracted with problems back home. It is quite simple, don't wanna serve with women? DON'T TAKE THE OATH AND JOIN! Nevermind the overall emotional effects on yourself deployments overall have you!

Oh, the ol' male protective instinct argument!

It's funny because non-Thinking Housewife has a piece up by a former female soldier who argues that women should not be in the military due to the near constant sexual harassment, which she takes to be part of human nature and an unchangeable dynamic between men and women. So which is it -- should women be barred from the military because men will feel distracted by a need to protect them OR because the men will be constantly harassing them?

Then why isn't Santorum busy protecting women's health here at home? Because all I see is him trying his damndest to drag us back into the reproductive dark ages.

Yes, men have such protective instincts. Except, of course, for rapists, murderers, child molesters, those who are abusive to their wives and children, etc. (Obviously not all men, but since we're making generalizationse here ;) ). The stupid, it burns!

I have a good female friend who was in the military and she thinks that sexual harassment is a huge issue. The main issue being that when it is reported, it is not taken seriously.

There are easy ways to fix that. Make administration take it seriously. Yes, it has to be forced, the same way it was forced on corporations. Some men will harass their female coworkers if they have no legal reason not to.

I have a good female friend who was in the military and she thinks that sexual harassment is a huge issue. The main issue being that when it is reported, it is not taken seriously.

It's still a big issue, but the Army is working on it.

Can someone do me a favor and shove Santorum off a cliff? Kthnxbye.

Off the cliff? I want him off the RC ship.

It just amazes me though when folks use the huge sexual harassment problem as a reason to keep women out of the military -- instead of, you know, fixing the problem. Isn't the military all about enforcing discipline? What's so hard about this? And if the male soldiers are totally lacking in discipline to the point that they can't help but harass their colleagues, how are they going to have the discipline to perform a combat mission?

It just amazes me though when folks use the huge sexual harassment problem as a reason to keep women out of the military -- instead of, you know, fixing the problem.

And what's to stop conservatives from using this line of reasoning to bar women from every other form of employment?

Great. Another armchair warrior who knows all about combat, because he watched every episode of M*A*S*H. Maybe His Frothiness could serve his country in the military for a couple of years, preferably in a combat zone, and then come back and pontificate about women's emotions being a distraction.

Can someone do me a favor and shove Santorum off a cliff? Kthnxbye.

that's terrible. why would you want to push such a pile of crap onto a innocent animal insect or plant?

It just amazes me though when folks use the huge sexual harassment problem as a reason to keep women out of the military -- instead of, you know, fixing the problem. Isn't the military all about enforcing discipline? What's so hard about this? And if the male soldiers are totally lacking in discipline to the point that they can't help but harass their colleagues, how are they going to have the discipline to perform a combat mission?

If there's one thing I've noticed about fundies in particular, it's that their attention to certain details is so great, they tend to miss the bigger picture. In this case, simply enforcing rules and following through on discipline, as you said. It also boggles my mind that they don't even realize it's their own attitude and ideas about women which promote the 'distracting woman' model to men. Of course, they probably want it that way. :roll:

that's terrible. why would you want to push such a pile of crap onto a innocent animal insect or plant?

You're right. That would be mean. Can we lock him in a sewage treatment plant in the middle of August instead?

Austin, I always wonder what they do about that. And also what the women on Survivor do.

I don't know exactly, but my guess is, for those who can take oral contraceptives, that they use a product like Seasonale. There is no medical reason for a woman on oral contraceptives to have a period every month, and Seasonale (or one of the generics) reduces having a period to four times a year (I've manipulated it to only have one three times a year) so a female soldier could plan her periods according to her missions/leaves/R&R.

Not everyone can take oral contraceptives, I realize, and I would guess they do the same thing that all soldiers do with other waste, like toilet paper and the like.

Yucky to think about, I know, but I can't tell you how many people who oppose women in the military bring that issue up first :shock:

You're right. That would be mean. Can we lock him in a sewage treatment plant in the middle of August instead?

That would be an insult to human waste. I vote we just evaporate him with those sci-fi ray gun things.

Archived