IGNORED

Maxwell July 4th post

YPestis

The Maxwell has a new post up which was kind of exist, even amongst fundie families. It fails to even acknowledge the women who fought and died for this country. Even among many conservatives, there is acknowledgement that women have been killed in the line of duty.

Sarah Maxwell was the poster. I'm not sure if this indicative of the state of her (un)awareness of the world, or perhaps the state of her (outdated) education. However, her father and her grandfather (as they like to point out) was in the military, so you'd think they'd be aware that females are joining the military and making sacrifices for their country, some offering up their lives in the name of duty. I guess even that bit of female achievement would be too much to acknowledge from the Maxwells, huh?

Honestly, I'm more surprised that she goes on and on about freedom and how valuable a commodity it is when we all know that there is no freedom in the Maxwell household.

Well at least they aren't asking people to remember the blood shed from all the aborted babies this time.

My favorite quote from the entry

As I see our country sliding away from God at a rapid speed, my heart is grieved.

How is this? I thought that it was Papa Steve's job to shield his children from the world and all its evil ways, so how could she possible see the country sliding away from God. Oh right, she didn't, he daddy told her.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that she goes on and on about freedom and how valuable a commodity it is when we all know that there is no freedom in the Maxwell household.

Ditto here. How can you ramble on about freedom, then make your family live such a restricted lifestyle?

It's funny they praise the founding fathers when they and others on the right are against a lot of what the founding fathers stood for.

This entire post is worded in such a weird way. I'm sure Daddy M will be editing it so I think we should make a record of the original:

It is a beautiful Independence Day here in Kansas.

I’m grateful for:

» Those who gave our lives for our freedom

» Our founding fathers, who drafted and signed the Declaration of Independence

» For the widows and those left behind who bore the sadness of losing a husband, father, brother, uncle, or son in the war

» Those who are continuing to give their lives to protect this country

Although I’m grateful, my highest gratitude goes to my precious Lord and Savior. Just as our earthly freedom was not without a high price, our eternal freedom was through the awful cost of God’s only Son, Jesus Christ. That freedom is offered to everyone, but many reject that Precious Gift. Freedom is not free. Our freedom in the United States was paid for by the blood of Americans. Our freedom in the Lord Jesus was paid for by His blood. As I see our country sliding away from God at a rapid speed, my heart is grieved. Yet, I know whom I have believed. There is nothing to fear as a child of the Lord Jesus. I have been bought and paid for by my Savior. If you haven’t given your life to the Lord Jesus, my Friend, today is the day. None of us is guaranteed a single day.

With love,

Sarah

I know not why God’s wondrous grace,

To me, He hath made known.

Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love,

Redeemed me for His own. (taken from the hymn, I Know Whom I Have Believed)

In addition to those who "gave our lives" I think it is weird that she is grateful "For the widows and those left behind who bore the sadness of losing a husband, father, brother, uncle, or son in the war." Grateful for people who have lost loved ones? That's weird right?

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up too, with the "widows" and "husband, father, brother, uncle or son" references. But after additional thought, I wondered if Sarah was referring to the Revolutionary War. There were no doubt more male deaths than female deaths in the conflict, but, really, it's not hard to realize that certainly some of those killed were women. Well, unless you're a Maxwell.

But, just like the Memorial Day post, something else here rubs me the wrong way. Why is it that fundies always seem to think that, unless we practice religion in the exact same way they do, we are unsaved heathens who have not given our lives to Jesus Christ? Or that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal salvation? One of our many freedoms is that we can choose for ourselves the right path to follow...we don't need a bunch of evangelicals pointing out THEIR way and grieving their hearts over us.

I posted a response to the fact that war does not know gender and there are plenty of families who have lost their sister and mother as well. I also told them that there are many Christians who don't think this country is sliding on the handbasket to hell and they work daily to show their commitment to their faith and to not just their families.

I doubt Steve will approve it. But it felt good to write it. Perhaps one day one of their children will break free of their tyranny and see what the real world is.

Ditto here. How can you ramble on about freedom, then make your family live such a restricted lifestyle?

They would probably argue they have freedom "from" not freedom "too"

I think Sarah was saying, in a typically clumsy way, that she was grateful to the families of the soldiers who endured the loss of a loved one so that she could be free.

Like the Memorial Day post, this one strikes me as being "off" somehow, and the only thing I can think of is that neither post sounded sincere. The Maxwells don't want to be a part of this country or this world because they see it as evil. So why would they celebrate this heathen nation's holidays or be grateful to a military filled with soldiers who may not be Christian or may engage in any number or behaviors that the Maxwells don't approve of? Celebrating anything goes against Steve's obsession with death. I get the feeling that both of these posts were PR exercises to appease their readers. They didn't want to be accused of being unpatriotic. Yes, Steve and his father were in the military, but that was before Steve dragged the family into uber-fundieland. I suspect that Steve Maxwell today would never enlist, nor would his sons.

Steve said in a reply to the Memorial Day post that as of now the Lord hadn't called any of his sons to be in the military. I don't think they'd ever go in because ::gasp:: women might be placed in authority over those poor wittle boys and freak them out.

I wonder if they know that women fought in the Revolutionary War? That woman have fought in every war?

What I hate is the hypocrisy. The Maxwells, and fundies in general, are grateful for the freedom they have to live as they choose, yet they want to impose on our freedoms to do the same if we aren't uber-conservative, god-fearing, gun-toting, misogynistic Jesus freaks.

like god calls people into the military. I thought god was about love not fighting wars? wait a minute he loves to fight I forgot.

if people are turning away from god then god needs to step up to the batters box and start doing some miracles. Staying hidden and letting man talk for you is not always going to work.

Perhaps one day one of their children will break free of their tyranny and see what the real world is.

I now have Queen's "I Want to Break Free" in my head. Aren't some of the lyrics just so fitting?

"I want to break free

I want to break free

I want to break free from your lies

You're so self-satisfied I don't need you

I've got to break free

God knows

God knows I want to break free"

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/queen-lyr ... z1RDhyhI7r

LetsSingIt - Your favorite Music Community

According to Sarah, there was only one war fought. I wonder which one she's referring to?

That really was a sad piece of Independence Day rambling. Poorly written, badly structured and no point. Made complete with preaching about how to 'be' saved with a whole lot of incorrect assumptions thrown in for typical Maxwell measure.

hey they had to post something. can't be looking anti american even though they are. that would impact sales. But hey Homecool at it's finest.

Saddens me that they missed a chance to compare the freedoms of US citizenship with the freedom from the terror of sin when we believe in Jesus' redemption of us. Or to contrast the temporal/temporary nature of the USA's freedoms - what if the nation falls to a dictator? - with the unchanging, eternal freedom we always have in Jesus Christ's sacrificial love.

Steve said in a reply to the Memorial Day post that as of now the Lord hadn't called any of his sons to be in the military. I don't think they'd ever go in because ::gasp:: women might be placed in authority over those poor wittle boys and freak them out.

Never mind what the Lord thinks - it's Steve who hasn't, and won't, call any of his sons to be in the military.

Did they do a 4th post last year? It would be interesting to compare the two if they did because this one is just really strange.

Did they do a 4th post last year? It would be interesting to compare the two if they did because this one is just really strange.

Nope, no 4th of July post in 2010 or 2009. They did have one in 2008, but it was entirely about family getting together for a b-b-q.

P.S. I got this from their archives, not from memory! :)

Well, in that case I think that they are just doing this so they won't look like unpatriotic people and drive away customers. I shocked they don't spend the day praying for the souls of those who are going to die today in America.

I wonder if something's wrong in Maxwell Land? I mean, beyond the usual/obvious. They used to put up new blog posts almost every day, with lots of pictures of the "children" looking extremely happy as they fixed the bus or cleaned the house or sewed new jumpers. Now the posts are fewer and farther between, without so many photos. We are also seeing less of the grandchildren.

Ever since reading the one about how time is running out to book a conference, then the weird thing Sarah said about her dad "flying" I wonder if Steve is ill. I don't know for sure of course, but yes the posts are very vague and infrequent.

Maybe they are just focusing on finding a man for Sarah. I would think they would want her to be married by 30, and that is coming up quickly.

Archived