Welcome to the south. *SIGH*

My mission? To get a picture of it, and make it my avatar here. :twisted:

Good thread idea: Now mine.......

Jesus is my rock between the hard place

Honest to god.

pfftt.... :lol:

We need a thread with nothing but pictures of church signs. :D

Atheists.jpg

Except that, if God doesn't believe that anything created Him, then clearly God IS an atheist 8-)

The church by my highschool always used to have funny signs. The first one we noticed was "Free trip to heaven, details inside!" I don't remember most of them but I was always fond of "don't worry, Moses was a basket case too." They were meant more to be funny than anything.

My favorite:

"Evolution? You gotta be kidding me."

-God

Is that not blasphemy? really now?

I once passed a church sign that said:

"Touching people, changing lives."

Sort of OT, but there is a hymn that we occasionally sing at my church (and probably many others) called "He Touched Me." It is literally impossible to sing that hymn with anything resembling a straight face, particularly if the high school choir is anywhere in the vicinity. Even the choir director has a hard time keeping it together.

Sort of OT, but there is a hymn that we occasionally sing at my church (and probably many others) called "He Touched Me." It is literally impossible to sing that hymn with anything resembling a straight face, particularly if the high school choir is anywhere in the vicinity. Even the choir director has a hard time keeping it together.

I heard that in a Catholic church once. Yeah, it's hard. No pun intended.

Back in college, I believe my friends and I (we'd been given the opportunity to provide the music for a small church's Sunday night service for a few weeks) once included that timeless classic, "While I was sleeping, somebody touched me / I know it was the hand of the Lord" in the program. And proceeded to sing it with a straight face. Still don't know how we did that :lol:

Favorite church sign I ever saw was my (Catholic) church's: "There's no stop, drop, and roll in Hell."

I wanted to get a picture of it, but never got a chance to. :( I just think it's hilarious because my parish has never been known to be fire and brimstone type community.

Growing up, there was this tiny, fundamentalist church that we'd drive by all the time on the way to the next town over to go to the library, Wal-Mart, whatever. For years, its sign said, "Jesus is coming soon- are you ready?" I remember being eleven or twelve and sitting in the car as we passed that sign for the millionth time, looking at my mom and saying, "Jesus's idea of 'soon' must be really different from mine!"

And I hate, hate, hate those stupid billboards that quote G-d. Hate them, with a burning, fiery passion. I can put whatever words I want into G-d's mouth, too. They're stupid and condescending, and they irritate me to no end. Which I'm sure is the whole point. Ugh.

This, on the other hand, is pretty freaking funny:

Honk-if-you-love-him.jpg

My sister and I have wanted to do a photo book about funny marquis signs for years now. Not just church ones, but also the ones with bad grammar and spelling, etc. My favorite was seen on the board outside of a barbeque joint in the next town - "Now Hiring Big Salads". A church one that had me scratching my head read "Jesus is life insurance for eternity". Wow, guess you NEVER get to collect on that policy! LOL

I really think churches have a source where they get ideas from. I've seen the Jesus text one on many signs, and have seen repeats a lot. Of course where I live, you can't swing a cat without hitting a church.

My sister and I have wanted to do a photo book about funny marquis signs for years now. Not just church ones, but also the ones with bad grammar and spelling, etc. My favorite was seen on the board outside of a barbeque joint in the next town - "Now Hiring Big Salads". A church one that had me scratching my head read "Jesus is life insurance for eternity". Wow, guess you NEVER get to collect on that policy! LOL

I really think churches have a source where they get ideas from. I've seen the Jesus text one on many signs, and have seen repeats a lot. Of course where I live, you can't swing a cat without hitting a church.

I've never heard that phrase before but it's hilarious! Is it a Southernism? (Yeah I just made that up.)

I've never heard that phrase before but it's hilarious! Is it a Southernism? (Yeah I just made that up.)

It must be a Southernism because I live in the South and I've heard it all my life!

You mean a stickied thread dedicated to church signs?

I don't know what a "stickied" thread is. Was just thinking that a thread with pix of church signs could be fun, but don't know whether it's appropriate here.

I saw a church sign of the way home that said, "If you think it's hot now...."

"...wait 'till you see our new Stripper Sunday service!"

I always heard it as "can't swing a dead cat." But yes, it is very much a southernism.

I say "swing a dead cat" here in the Ohio, having grown up in PA. But I did live in Texas when I was a little girl, so maybe I picked it up there.

My boss was speaking at his church today and asked everybody at work to come hear him speak because he was nervous. Several of us decided to "suck it up" and go to support him, and when I got home, my husband asked me how it was, and I said, "yeah. . . uncomfortable. . . I felt like a long-tailed cat in a room full rocking chairs", so another cat-ism.

No wonder my cats look at me funny :D

PG Wodehouse said "You can't throw a brick without hitting _____"

I like this church sign:

If+God+is+your+Co-pilate.jpg

Archived