IGNORED

Mother Teresa yet again

teddybear

Slightly oT, but the Magdalene Sisters is a very good film (imho) about Ireland and the Catholic Church/strict Christian morality/fundamentalism (put this because there have been non-Catholic institutions that were eerily similar in other countries at the same time).

I've watched that film as well and even more shocking is those laundries closed only in 1996. That's pretty damn recent. The more and more I read about Ireland the more disillusioned I am with the thought moving to that part of Europe. I've got it pretty damn good here, even if I hate Harper. It irritates me to no end when I see on these people's statuses "Stay in Ireland! It's so much better there". Has no one done their research?

Please enlighten me. Apparently, I have been so busy look at everyone elses' crazy religions, I have overlooked some in the one I was fundicized within. No, I am seriously not being snarky. I've seen some allegations, and I find the whole protection of pedophile priests abhorrent, but I don't know much about Mother Teresa= disgusting wretched woman. I am not in a defensive state here: educate me, please. And not with FB links, I don't spend a lot of time on FB! Thanks!

I know that while no one talked about it openly, most people in India were very very ambivalent towards her and her methods. Health and family planning advocates especially seemed to think that she did more harm than good in India at a time that the government was desperately trying to encourage family planning so that families could limit the number of children born and child and maternal health could improve. I think another part of the ambivalence was the fact that she and her order seem to wallow in suffering and misery and never really seemed to encourage the importance of joy (either through Christ or any other source). I think that later on in her life many people wondered if she was seriously mentally ill and her illness expressed itself in her work.

I was one of those people who really wanted to love Mother Theresa. Who couldn't love a woman who spent her life helping others? This board changed my mind but I admit that for awhile, I put my fingers in my ears and chanted. "LA LA. I can't hear you guys."

Wow, I haven't been a catholic in 10 years and I still don't want to click on those links. Although it doesn't really surprise me. Looks like I have some reading to do!

I was one of those people who really wanted to love Mother Theresa. Who couldn't love a woman who spent her life helping others? This board changed my mind but I admit that for awhile, I put my fingers in my ears and chanted. "LA LA. I can't hear you guys."

I feel the same way, debrand. Major let down for me. :(

Archived