IGNORED

Mother Teresa yet again

teddybear

I seems that in addition to hanging out with dictators, convicted felons and amassing huge amounts of money for the Vatican, Mother Teresa has also been revealed as protecting pedophile priests.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2012-01-11/news ... e-jesuits/

In a 1994 letter to McGuire's Jesuit superior in Chicago, it appears that Mother Teresa acknowledged she had learned of the "sad events which took [McGuire] from his priestly ministry these past seven months," and that McGuire "admitted imprudence in his behavior," but she wished to see him put back on the job. The letter was written after McGuire had been sent to a psychiatric hospital following an abuse complaint to the Jesuits by a family in Walnut Creek.

"I understand how grave is the scandal touching the priesthood in the U.S.A. and how careful we must be to guard the purity and reputation of that priesthood," the letter states. "I must say, however, that I have confidence and trust in Fr. McGuire and wish to see his vital ministry resume as soon as possible."

He was returned to active ministry and went on to abuse at least 8 more kids.

Disgusting. But it doesn't surprise me at all. She was a horrible, horrible person. I wish more people knew.

MTE! I am in a discussion with someone in another forum who is adamant that despite all these silly little 'bad' things, MT more than made up for it with her goodness.

There was no goodness. There was sick and twistedness.

Disgusting. But it doesn't surprise me at all. She was a horrible, horrible person. I wish more people knew.

I have to admit, I didn't know how nasty of a person she was until I came here! I was raised the standard findy-lite-Catholic-hater, so we never discussed people like her, and after I left fundyism, I never thought about it or cared to look into her.

I've learned a lot at FJ! :D

Hmm I wonder why there are no pages or groups on facebook regarding the real Mother Teresa. Just a lot of fan pages, and a lot of anti-abortion-fanatics like Baptism of the Unborn (victims of abortion).

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but... yeah. It's pretty ironic though, isn't it? I think the Bible explicitly mentions something about there being a special place in hell for people who mistreat kids, IIRC.

how careful we must be to guard the purity and reputation of that priesthood

This part in particular doesn't surprise me at all. It's all about the Church's reputation, especially for MT. A few dozen hundred abused kids can be swept under the rug as long as the catholic church is protected :roll:

This thinking is, at its core, not so bad:

Not all priests should be held guilty for the crimes of a few.

But the way MT handled it, it's sweeping it under the rug.

I thought very positively about her for a long time, because I thought she had honest motives (loving the church, protecting its reputation, helping the poor), but now, I think a woman that managed to achieve so much MUST have seen what she was doing, she can't have been that naive.

She put the institution "Church" before the people that form, in Christian thinking, the true Church of Christ, and I'll have to regard her as an hypocrite.

Yup...

I wonder how many people in her order's care in India caught HIV or Hep. C due to her policy of not being very thourough with using sterelized needles. Even Pope JP II gave her a dressing down once re: this, as hard as it is to believe (bad PR for the Church and all).

She was a wretched woman.

Yup...

I wonder how many people in her order's care in India caught HIV or Hep. C due to her policy of not being very thourough with using sterelized needles. Even Pope JP II gave her a dressing down once re: this, as hard as it is to believe (bad PR for the Church and all).

She was a wretched woman.

Please enlighten me. Apparently, I have been so busy look at everyone elses' crazy religions, I have overlooked some in the one I was fundicized within. No, I am seriously not being snarky. I've seen some allegations, and I find the whole protection of pedophile priests abhorrent, but I don't know much about Mother Teresa= disgusting wretched woman. I am not in a defensive state here: educate me, please. And not with FB links, I don't spend a lot of time on FB! Thanks!

Please enlighten me. Apparently, I have been so busy look at everyone elses' crazy religions, I have overlooked some in the one I was fundicized within. No, I am seriously not being snarky. I've seen some allegations, and I find the whole protection of pedophile priests abhorrent, but I don't know much about Mother Teresa= disgusting wretched woman. I am not in a defensive state here: educate me, please. And not with FB links, I don't spend a lot of time on FB! Thanks!

I'd kind of like to know, too. I never honestly gave her much thought, good, bad or indifferent. She was just a nun, like the pope is the pope, you know? I'm not Catholic and wasn't raised Catholic. I didn't live under a rock, so know the basics about her, but nothing that indicates she was horrible person. I am not being defensive either - I have no ideas of her to defend. I just don't know.

This thinking is, at its core, not so bad:

Not all priests should be held guilty for the crimes of a few.

But the way MT handled it, it's sweeping it under the rug.

I thought very positively about her for a long time, because I thought she had honest motives (loving the church, protecting its reputation, helping the poor), but now, I think a woman that managed to achieve so much MUST have seen what she was doing, she can't have been that naive.

She put the institution "Church" before the people that form, in Christian thinking, the true Church of Christ, and I'll have to regard her as an hypocrite.

As a life long Catholic this is me too. I did know from people who knew her that she ruled like a dictator, she was very hard on the sisters in her community. But I always thought of her as helping so many unfortunate people in India and elsewhere. Now I see her for what she was and I don't like her. No way should she be declared a saint.

MT fantastically asserted to a dumbfounded audience when receiving the Nobel Peace Prize *. Believers are likewise enjoined to abhor and eschew divorce, but they are not required to insist that a ban on divorce and remarriage be a part of the state constitution, as MT demanded in a referendum in Ireland (which her side narrowly lost) in 1996.

So wait. There was a referedum in Ireland that wanted to uphold a ban on divorce and remarriage as a part of the Constitution? And this was in NINETEEN Freaking NINTY SIX? And it almost stayed that way? :?

Dear god. I know a lot of Canadian expats in Ireland right now looking back at horror at what is going on in Canada. I'm so tempted to go "Not much better where you are, in fact probably worse".

Oh and the more I hear about Mother Teresa, the more I think she's a complete and utter fraud. I've been to the Vatican twice and was just amazed at the amount of money it takes to upkeep that place besides selling souveniors (which the nuns are doing for free) and making money off admissions to the museums. Yeah. Not cool that the money went there instead of for the poor.

Thank you. Ugh!~ I avoided those threads, because I didn't want to know. I don't think she is a saint in the slightest!

This should make for fun conversation starters the next time I am forced into a visit with my parents and siblings who did not leave fundie Catholicism!

It's the pain relief thing that gets to me. There's an interview with someone who worked with her posted in one of the earlier threads about how awful it was to be surrounded by such suffering and be prevented from doing anything real to stop it, because that wasn't what they did.

So wait. There was a referedum in Ireland that wanted to uphold a ban on divorce and remarriage as a part of the Constitution? And this was in NINETEEN Freaking NINTY SIX? And it almost stayed that way? :?

Dear god. I know a lot of Canadian expats in Ireland right now looking back at horror at what is going on in Canada. I'm so tempted to go "Not much better where you are, in fact probably worse".

Much worse, Maul. When it comes to women and their rights Ireland is so backward it's unreal. When a cousin got pregnant SIX YEARS AGO by her long-term boyfriend members of my family used the term "out of wedlock" in disgust to indicate how shameful it was. Its roughly the 50s in Ireland, possibly earlier. :?

Slightly oT, but the Magdalene Sisters is a very good film (imho) about Ireland and the Catholic Church/strict Christian morality/fundamentalism (put this because there have been non-Catholic institutions that were eerily similar in other countries at the same time).

Archived