IGNORED

Thomas Jefferson's "Secret Bible"

Jenesis Jexodus

True. It was featured in the PBS series, God in America. He was also a great defender of religious freedom. It is not so much that he removed parts he believed to be incorrect as he removed things he felt did not stand up to logic. For example: He didn't believe in the Resurrection or the miracle of Lazarus but he did believe in the Beatitudes found in Matthew, because those were philosophical ideas one could apply to one's life.

This is why the Texas School Board wanted to de-emphasize Jefferson's role as a founding father in future textbooks. Pretty hard to do, given he was one of the main players.

Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, right?

Isn't that the document people use to say that an American right (incorrectly) is Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness whenever they try to say abortion is illegal?

But I have to admit, it's been a while since I did early American history, so the only thing I can remember is from the Animaniacs song: "Tom Jefferson stayed up to write the Constitution* late at night,

So he and his wife had a great big fight, and she made him sleep on the couch at night"

*I know, I know...the song is wrong.

The Declaration of Independence does say that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are "inalienable rights." (Some people incorrectly believe that line is in the Constitution.) But the Declaration isn't usually assumed to have any actual legal authority. It's just a patriotic and historically significant document.

I could imagine the Fundies reading this and going frenzy and ballistic. Probably they might say it is a 'Test of our Faith from God"

or they might say that it is a blasphemous lie spread by godless atheist infidels.

The Jeffersonian Bible? What's so "secret" about it? If I remember correctly, he took out all of the mystical stuff and concentrated on the "teachings" of Jesus. New members of Congress used to get one until the mid 20th century, I think.

The Jeffersonian Bible? What's so "secret" about it? If I remember correctly, he took out all of the mystical stuff and concentrated on the "teachings" of Jesus.

Not a secret at all! The Jefferson Bible has been a popular topic of discussion in UU and UCC circles.

Archived