IGNORED

Shit Christians Say to Jews

FaustianSlip

Just saw this video on Mayim Bialik's Facebook feed. I think my favorite is, "Oh my God, your mom converted? So you're, like, half Christian! That means you're half saved!" Sadly, I actually have gotten more than one of these.

51dFlpwKkBM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha. I have a friend who has "stein" in her last name. When someone she had just met mispronounced her last name, she said, "Actually, it's pronounced 'stine,' not 'steen.'" The person said, "Oh, well, that's much better. [breaking into a whisper] It sounds a lot less Jewish."

I have some Jewish heritage but my name isn't Jewish, and it's amazing what people will say when they don't think you'll be offended. I think my favorite is, "I know I shouldn't say this but he really Jewed me down." Um, if you know you shouldn't say it, then why . . . ?

Ha ha. I have a friend who has "stein" in her last name. When someone she had just met mispronounced her last name, she said, "Actually, it's pronounced 'stine,' not 'steen.'" The person said, "Oh, well, that's much better. [breaking into a whisper] It sounds a lot less Jewish."

I have some Jewish heritage but my name isn't Jewish, and it's amazing what people will say when they don't think you'll be offended. I think my favorite is, "I know I shouldn't say this but he really Jewed me down." Um, if you know you shouldn't say it, then why . . . ?

Totally, WTF? Why do people do this?

It ranks right up there with "I know it's not PC to say it, but..." and "You're not SUPPOSED to say it nowadays, but..." Which translate as "I am a bigoted wanker who is about to inflict my bigotry on you."

Things people have said to me:

"Has anyone ever told you about Jesus?" Yeah, in this day and age, I have never heard of the guy!

"The Jews killed Jesus." No, the Romans did. :roll:

"Has anyone ever told you about Jesus?" Yeah, in this day and age, I have never heard of the guy!

"The Jews killed Jesus." No, the Romans did. :roll:

Technically true, but the Romans just did what the Jews wanted, if you believe it happened the way the story goes. Still a really stupid and offensive thing to say, especially since Jesus and all his followers were Jews (Bet you didn't know that :P ), so there's not really any room for "Jews are bad" there.

Maybe my years of Baptist Sunday School lead me wrong, but I thought God killed Jesus... divine plan and all of that...

I have the "you don't look Jewish" and also, "Oh, that explains your..." nose, eyes, cheekbones, big fat lips.

I don't really look stereotypically Jewish, but a lot of Jews don't.

I have the "you don't look Jewish" and also, "Oh, that explains your..." nose, eyes, cheekbones, big fat lips.

I don't really look stereotypically Jewish, but a lot of Jews don't.

I've had both of those! I also get "you don't look Jewish", "Well, Jesus loves Jewish people, too!", "do you speak Hebrew? (or "Isreali" depending on the person), "I thought that Jews with tattoos get stoned to death or something", "Who in your family died in a concentration camp?" (none, we've been in the US since the late 1700's and 1840's).

My maiden name is Solomon so people think I'm Jewish. Nope! Don't know where Solomon came from! I'm German, Portguese, Cherokee, and French! :P

This is one of my favorites, right up there with "Things Gay Guys Say To Their Cats" and "Things White Girls Say To Black Girls". It totally surprises me how little people know about Judaism in this day and age. The area I grew up in was fairly diverse and I grew up with a lot of friends who were Jewish. When I went to college my roommate had never even MET a Jewish person before. I will always remember her asking me why we had school off for "yum kipper".

LOL, I saw this a few days ago and forgot to post it here! And I've definitely gotten those kinds of comments on my hair. Though to be fair, I refer to brushing my hair as "taming the wild Jew 'fro" regularly. :)

OH I had a substitute teacher in highschool once that I swear was obsessed with Jews! This was in a Catholic school too! My last name is of Polish origin so sounds Jewish, coupled with that evidently I have a big nose. To which when the teacher was doing roll-call, looked at me and asked if I was Jewish... I was like "Um, No I'm Catholic, thus we're in a Catholic School..." she proceeded to tell me my nose looked Jewish and asked if my ancestors had been Jewish... I was so freaking embarrassed, I just replied "Not that I know of" and she gave me the weirdest look and continued roll call, and then did the same thing to another girl!!! Even the nose thing!!! We could not believe it!!!

Oh man, I was raised CHRISTIAN and I get this stuff sometimes! My mom is Armenian and my brother and I both have dark hair and eyes (though he is very olive skinned wheras I am skim-milk colored; he also has a "Jewish"/Armenian nose), and people think we're Jewish all.the.time. Especially when we mention the neighborhood where we grew up (centered around the only local Orthodox synagogue) and throw in occasionally Yiddish words into conversation (thanks to my mother, who also grew up on a Jewish neighborhood, though one in a different state).

To be honest, I've been thinking a lot in the past year about converting to Judaism, since it just feels more "right" to me (does that make sense?), though I'm still quite agnostic and also very lazy, so unless I married someone Jewish, I don't think it would actually happen. Maybe in ten years? I don't know.

Nearly every one of those has been said to me! But then again, I lived in Arkansas for awhile. My favorite was a guy who worked at my local supermarket who saw my Star of David ring one day and assured me that no matter what OTHER people thought, it was still possible to be Jewish and love Jesus like a Christian. He was very pleased with himself for figuring out that mind-twister. ;)

Oh man, I was raised CHRISTIAN and I get this stuff sometimes! My mom is Armenian and my brother and I both have dark hair and eyes (though he is very olive skinned wheras I am skim-milk colored; he also has a "Jewish"/Armenian nose), and people think we're Jewish all.the.time. Especially when we mention the neighborhood where we grew up (centered around the only local Orthodox synagogue) and throw in occasionally Yiddish words into conversation (thanks to my mother, who also grew up on a Jewish neighborhood, though one in a different state).

To be honest, I've been thinking a lot in the past year about converting to Judaism, since it just feels more "right" to me (does that make sense?), though I'm still quite agnostic and also very lazy, so unless I married someone Jewish, I don't think it would actually happen. Maybe in ten years? I don't know.

I'm in exactly the same situation. But conversion seems like such a long and demanding process, plus it does feel a bit like betraying my Catholic heritage, flimsy and insignificant as it is. The strong incentive for conversion would be marriage, though who knows... though I'd never convert Orthodox, a lot of the Orthodox traditions are beautiful but it does feel a bit legalistic and rigid. I want to be able to keep wearing pants, not go nuts in the kitchen and criticize Israel's policies on some occasions.

I'm in exactly the same situation. But conversion seems like such a long and demanding process, plus it does feel a bit like betraying my Catholic heritage, flimsy and insignificant as it is. The strong incentive for conversion would be marriage, though who knows... though I'd never convert Orthodox, a lot of the Orthodox traditions are beautiful but it does feel a bit legalistic and rigid. I want to be able to keep wearing pants, not go nuts in the kitchen and criticize Israel's policies on some occasions.

I've actually contacted places about Reform conversion, but being a lesbian in a long term relationship with a Buddhist is a turn off for those I've talked to, which I was surprised at. :/

That's awesome. I'm assuming based on those dates, that your family is Sephardi and German respectively?

Yup, we are

"Has anyone ever told you about Jesus?" Yeah, in this day and age, I have never heard of the guy:

Ivebeendeeaming of the day a fundie comes up go me and asks that, so I can say "who is that?"

:lol:

Archived