IGNORED

tell all blog from adult daughters of patriarchy

sableduck

forgive me if this has already been posted--this board moves fast, and I've been busy with work/toddler/pregnancy, so I haven't been around much.

http://brokenflowerschm.blogspot.com/

I am not breaking this link because I don't think they will mind this is posted here. I want to say that I was at this homestead years ago, and met the father briefly(though I was a child) and I do believe what they say. This is near where I grew up, and so much of this rings true. I knew QF/fundies that were entranced by this family, even though they were Catholic, not protestant.

Though I do believe this is an extreme case, I knew so many families where abuse was present just under the QF/fundie/happy homeschooler facade. I still believe that hiding the abuse was the key reason many of these families dropped "off the grid."

I wish all the best for this woman and I feel for her in a way that makes my very soul ache. I really wish I could hug her and tell her how strong she is. I feel very vulnerable and that was a bit more triggering than I had anticipated. No long story from me. I just feel uncomfortable.

If she ever shows up here I hope she knows I am sending out good thoughts and vibes to her .Maybe we should get her hooked up with Razing Ruth - they might be good support for each other.

Sorry, I didn't even think about it being triggering to survivors of physical, sexual and emotional abuse--just be warned.

This blog is actually written by several daughters of this family. It is a joint blog, which is why some of the writing may be disjointed.

I wish them the best. Sheesh, talking about overcoming major hurdles in life.

Guadalupe's poetry is heartbreaking.

I'm totally in awe of these women who've managed to come through that kind of childhood. Does anyone know what happened to the other children that got out?

ah jeeze, the blog is just heartbreaking! I wonder if similar type things might come out about the Duggars or Bates and such :-(

A quick google found this- it looks like it was written before any of the kids were around. motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1971-03-01/The-Christian-Homesteading-Movement.aspx

forgive me if this has already been posted--this board moves fast, and I've been busy with work/toddler/pregnancy, so I haven't been around much.

http://brokenflowerschm.blogspot.com/

I am not breaking this link because I don't think they will mind this is posted here. I want to say that I was at this homestead years ago, and met the father briefly(though I was a child) and I do believe what they say. This is near where I grew up, and so much of this rings true. I knew QF/fundies that were entranced by this family, even though they were Catholic, not protestant.

Though I do believe this is an extreme case, I knew so many families where abuse was present just under the QF/fundie/happy homeschooler facade. I still believe that hiding the abuse was the key reason many of these families dropped "off the grid."

Heartbreaking to read, and I too believe them. I was surprised when I visited some of the Fahey daughters' Facebook pages to see we share some common friends.

Dear lord this is absolutely heartbreaking. It's almost a miracle that they managed to escape, especially after reading about how their father would talk about killing them all the time. I did a bit of google research on Richard Fahey and he appears to be held up as some sort of hero/prophet among people in the Christian homesteading movement (even those not affiliated with his Catholic homesteading movement).

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index ... _next=prev

I found a forum where someone is defending Richard Fahey right to not bring his cabin up to code.

Norwich City Judge James Downey on Friday found Richard Fahey guilty of violating housing and zoning codes in a tiny cabin he built for his family as a rest stop on their weekly 7-mile hike to church. The judge gave Fahey 30 days to bring the cabin up to code or face $350 in fines and six days in the Chenango County Correctional Facility.

"What you have lain before this court is a claim that compliance with governmental building, housing and zoning codes is a violation of the tenets and principles of the Roman Catholic Church headed by Pope Richard Fahey, headquartered in the town of Preston," Downey said, as Fahey's cheeks reddened.

"In the kingdom of the blind, Mr. Fahey, the one-eyed man is king. The small, isolated world that you have carved out for yourself is the kingdom of the blind, and you are its king because you do not have any objective, trusted advisors who have the fortitude or inclination to stand up, look you squarely in the eye and say, 'King Richard, you are wrong.' "

Fahey and his wife, Anna Marie, have lived since 1961 without electricity, motors or running water on a hill outside Norwich, in the town of Preston. They raised and home-schooled 12 children on their 100-acre tract, living under almost no government regulation.

In his ruling, Downey encouraged Fahey to work with government rather than outside it. His words often stung.

"You stated that if I found you guilty of the alleged offenses, I would be acting in very much the same vein as Pontius Pilate when he condemned Jesus of Nazareth," the judge told Fahey. "I reject that analogy and submit to you that, rather than thinking of me as Pontius Pilate, you should think of me as your Dutch Uncle that you do not have, and the one you need, because you are very much in need of a serious talking-to."

With that, Downey rejected Fahey's claim that the city codes violate his constitutional and religious rights. He ripped into Fa-

hey's refusal to accept municipal law, a theme that ran throughout the five-day trial in which Fahey acted as his own lawyer.

"You believe this case is all about Richard Fahey," the judge said. "It is not. And the reason it is not is because you, Mr. Fahey, are representative of every unscrupulous landlord, every slumlord, every dishonest builder and contractor and every well-intentioned but incompetent do-it-yourselfer who, for the sake of the almighty dollar, are willing to risk the safety, the lives and treasures of other people or themselves.

"Were your opinions, attitudes, beliefs and philosophies to prevail in this case, the floodgates would be open and - most likely sooner than later - someone would lose their life."

When I read these types of blogs I seem to go back to The Pilgrims (Papa & The Hales) and the lies and brutality that was a constant in that family. I wish there was some way to know what has happened to the family and how they have managed to move on from his brutality. There really seems to be no recent information on them. I worked on their land rights case and also had a court run in with them, I was testifying in the next courtroom and interacted with them in the hallways. They were the family that opened my eyes to this type of crazy and I have never really forgotten about them.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... l?page=all

Read through the blog. It was very sad and sick. I hope the sisters can lead happy lives now. Was this man famous? Did people attempt to follow him? Or was he just some slack jawed hick who brutalized his family for jollies? The one girl escaped by going to visit an aunt and never returning. Where was that aunt for all of her childhood?

Archived