IGNORED

tell all blog from adult daughters of patriarchy

sableduck

I read that whole blog last night. What a terrifying existence. I'm glad those girls got out and created happier lives for themselves.

And debrand, thanks for posting that excerpt about the case against Fahey. Judge Downey's comments were awesome!

Briefly, I knew many people who thought homesteading was the Godly way to go who looked up to the Faheys and wanted to emulate them. I have known families who literally sold everything they owned and moved into a camper/tent/dugout whatever on property they bought and attempted to live off the land, building a house/cabin/shelter by hand as they went. Inevitably the children suffered emotional, physical and educational neglect in some form.

Again, I do believe the treatment of the Fahey children is at the extreme end of the abuse suffered by fundie/QF children, but I think the lifestyle lends itself to abuse. I also believe that we will hear more and more adult children of these movements coming forward with their stories as time goes by. This is a particularly bad one, probably made worse by both parents' undiagnosed/untreated mental illness, but I know many fundie families who have CPS/DSS drills in case the social workers come, etc. I think this is more representative than anyone wants to believe.

This is particularly interesting to me, as I remember these girls from The King's Daughter Magazine, back in the day. I'm wondering if most of the other KD girls (like me) have since rejected CP/QF, too?

Does anyone else remember this magazine?

This is particularly interesting to me, as I remember these girls from The King's Daughter Magazine, back in the day. I'm wondering if most of the other KD girls (like me) have since rejected CP/QF, too?

Does anyone else remember this magazine?

Good God. I like the idea of homesteading, having livestock, eating what I grow, etc, but I would NEVER put kids to sleep in that tool shed. I wouldn't even keep my animals in something that rickety and leaky.

I know people who do this sort of thing, homesteading, living off their land, and yeah, it gets out of hand fast, even when they are good people. I hate to see it made illegal - because suddenly then it's one more strike against the rural poor, forcing them into towns and apartment/townhouse complexes for the poor that are just as horrible in different ways ( I lived in one for 6 months while we were getting back on our feet from leaving my ex... I'd rather, if my choices are have my kid in an environment where she's getting the shit beaten out of her by tough kids, in a socio-political environment where my protests about her treatment fell on deaf ears, and living in a shed... well, I can fix the shed up, make the walls weather proof with more scrap wood, get stuff from goodwill,etc.. I can't force people to behave themselves...) But yeah, this guy DIDN'T fix up the shed to make it decent. He could have made it just as tight as the cabin he and his wife slept in. How they didn't die through that, sleeping out there, is a total mystery to me.

This is the kind of thing I think Deborah 13 will be writing in the future...

That is if she ever breaks free from the mind-controlling family she lives with.

This is just atrocious. I remember seeing ads for their Christian Homesteading Movement in fundie magazines back in the early 90's. It all sounded so wonderful at the time... who knew this kind of ridiculous behavior was going on.

This is one of the things that really concerns me about the fundies I've known -- they tend to live such an isolated, insulated lifestyle, that if abuse were going on, nobody would know about it. Many strive for as little accountability as possible.

I googled the sperm donor's name and "homesteading" and the first hit was a young couple who are homesteading and blogging of course in northern California. The perp's name didn't appear anywhere in the pages I skimmed, but apparently this couple (late 20s, very early 30s) think he's all that. Wonder if they know about Guadalupe's site.

When I read these types of blogs I seem to go back to The Pilgrims (Papa & The Hales) and the lies and brutality that was a constant in that family. I wish there was some way to know what has happened to the family and how they have managed to move on from his brutality. There really seems to be no recent information on them. I worked on their land rights case and also had a court run in with them, I was testifying in the next courtroom and interacted with them in the hallways. They were the family that opened my eyes to this type of crazy and I have never really forgotten about them.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... l?page=all

I read the article. Wow, that father was as crazy as the Christian (Catholic) Homesteading Movement. The article doesn't mention the 3 children he had by 3 different women prior to his marrying Betty Freeman's daughter. I wonder if they were raised by their mothers and escaped his craziness.

• 3 months later...
Done

I can't do this anymore. There are two sides to every story. If my parents want to come out and tell people I am a master manipulator, schemer and have always controlled the entire family they can. I am hurting very deeply inside and it was never my intention to hurt anyone through this blog or in asking any other questions that I did about my father's background. I attend therapy every week in order to get over my bulimia and it is extremely painful recounting childhood details on this blog and in therapy. I no longer feel that I can put any of my details shared in therapy on this blog after I heard that my parents spoke of me as being evil again. I worked hard to build my self esteem over 18 years enough to seek out help for myself and try to build a life for myself, my husband and children. I will have a private blog for my bulimia recovery and may come back in a few years after I am fully recovered. My children are too important to me to risk relapse at this point. I only have been in recovery for almost 6 months. If my sisters wish to continue to keep this blog up it is up to them, but I no longer will be posting. Thank you all for your support.

I will miss her. It was so inspiring how much she had done after fleeing her horribly abusive patriarchal home.

My parents were "back to the land" people in those days too. I raised on a commune. I am always interested to read about other people's experiences and how other people interpreted the concept of going back to the land. My mother now lives a very "straight" life and she was talking to me one day about how many crazies got caught up in that movement and how it got harder and harder to distinguish between people with megalomania and people who honestly were passionate about living off the land. The problem was that so many people who were brought up in suburbia in the 50's and 60's were not equipped to separate the two. Thus, it was really easy for a guy like Richard Fahey to fool everyone in those days. He was one of the few people really living that lifestyle, and I cannot overemphasize how much that impressed those who really wanted to live that way, but who could never fully commit.

Archived