IGNORED

Loralynn's crappy homeschooling

treemom

The children who are not being educated by these crazy mothers are going to be adults one day. I fear for the world in 10-20 years when it has to support uneducated, sheltered, people with no education, no knowledge of anything and no ability to function.

The children who are not being educated by these crazy mothers are going to be adults one day. I fear for the world in 10-20 years when it has to support uneducated, sheltered, people with no education, no knowledge of anything and no ability to function.

I guess we can be thankful that currently only about 3% of America's school-aged children are "homeschooled," and very few of these are hard fundies. We can assume that many of these homeschooled people will carry on the tradition.

I'm amazed, however, that parents would abuse their children in this way and apparently believe they're doing the right thing.

i was under the impression that staten island had really good schools? just because its so suburban... and i know a few people who moved there who love the schools. i guess as with everything it depends on your zone.

Maybe on the other end of the Island. We're on the North Shore - more densely populated, lower income, that sort of thing. We also have fewer options for middle schools (and middle school choice only applies to your own borough, so there's not much choice when compared to a borough with more middle schools!) and not that many high schools, though by then it's a different ball game.

Maybe on the other end of the Island. We're on the North Shore - more densely populated, lower income, that sort of thing. We also have fewer options for middle schools (and middle school choice only applies to your own borough, so there's not much choice when compared to a borough with more middle schools!) and not that many high schools, though by then it's a different ball game.

that sucks. i went to a regular zoned new york city public junior high school. i hated it, and i don't think i learned anything at all... i think the junior high school is more of a problem just because the kids are of an age to start making real trouble.

at least you have staten island tech, i know a few kids who go there and it seems to be an excellent high school.

Yeah, welcome to the NYC gifted program!

My mother entered Hunter College High School at the age of 10. It was for girls only, IQ had to be at least 130, and you had to pass a test to get in. Her parents didn't pay a dime. Then to Hunter College at age 14. Free, no cost. This was all in NYC so I guess things have changed. I don't think a public school should charge those kinds of fees.

My mother entered Hunter College High School at the age of 10. It was for girls only, IQ had to be at least 130, and you had to pass a test to get in. Her parents didn't pay a dime. Then to Hunter College at age 14. Free, no cost. This was all in NYC so I guess things have changed. I don't think a public school should charge those kinds of fees.

hunter is still there, still free, although very difficult to get into. they have an elementary program and a program starting in 7th grade. its considered to be the most difficult program in nyc to get into.

nobody charges, its completely optional. its a donation request, and those who can't give don't. but i do have to say that those who can't give usually participate in other ways by volunteering time, although that too is not required.

I'm amazed, however, that parents would abuse their children in this way and apparently believe they're doing the right thing.

The other day I was reading an old issue of a fundie homeschooling magazine and the woman who ran it wrote an article about how busy moms with tons of kids could handle homeschooling. Her advice was to only worry about teaching the things they absolutely need to know (Bible made the cut, science did not) She reassured her readers that this was okay because, after all, "public schools graduate a lot of kids who can't even read".

I think it's indicative of the impossibility of homeschooling in that kind of environment when the only way you can assure yourself that you're doing an adequate job is by comparing yourself to the very worst of public school failures. It also goes to show that people can brainwash themselves into thinking they're doing the right thing in pretty much any situation.

The other day I was reading an old issue of a fundie homeschooling magazine and the woman who ran it wrote an article about how busy moms with tons of kids could handle homeschooling. Her advice was to only worry about teaching the things they absolutely need to know (Bible made the cut, science did not) She reassured her readers that this was okay because, after all, "public schools graduate a lot of kids who can't even read".

I think it's indicative of the impossibility of homeschooling in that kind of environment when the only way you can assure yourself that you're doing an adequate job is by comparing yourself to the very worst of public school failures. It also goes to show that people can brainwash themselves into thinking they're doing the right thing in pretty much any situation.

This makes me crazy and I am a homeschooler. The idea is to give your kids a BETTER education than they'd receive at the public school, not a worse one.

This makes me crazy and I am a homeschooler. The idea is to give your kids a BETTER education than they'd receive at the public school, not a worse one.

Total logic fail. One of the biggest arguments for homeschooling is because of the public school failure. If you don't teach your kids any better than public school, why are you homeschooling in the first place? If your measure of success is only by that which you are opposed to in the first place, there is a total and complete disconnect somewhere.

Total logic fail. One of the biggest arguments for homeschooling is because of the public school failure. If you don't teach your kids any better than public school, why are you homeschooling in the first place? If your measure of success is only by that which you are opposed to in the first place, there is a total and complete disconnect somewhere.

For the fundie homeschoolers, the most important aspect is separation--from the "world" and the ebul public schools. Superior education is either incidental or nonexistent.

I soooo want to comment on LL's crappy excuse for homeschooling. OMG! TRAINWRECK! Those poor kids aren't learning anything. Has it occurred to her that perhaps her curriculum sucks? Why is she teaching Rome to her twins who probably still don't know all their letter sounds or can read fluently. It's like she just picked something and thought "Wow, this is interesting! I think I teach my kids about Rome this week." I'm also wondering why there is no mention of Math, Phonics, or Science in her "homeschooling" day- or should I say hour or two. I can't believe she plops her kids in front of a TV for an "educational video". WTF ever. She's a big FAIL! I taught school for 11 years. What she calls school is just a Mom reading a book to her kids and acting like she is doing something educational. Slap a label on it and call it homeschool. LL is a big FAT JOKE!

I soooo want to comment on LL's crappy excuse for homeschooling. OMG! TRAINWRECK! Those poor kids aren't learning anything. Has it occurred to her that perhaps her curriculum sucks? Why is she teaching Rome to her twins who probably still don't know all their letter sounds or can read fluently. It's like she just picked something and thought "Wow, this is interesting! I think I teach my kids about Rome this week." I'm also wondering why there is no mention of Math, Phonics, or Science in her "homeschooling" day- or should I say hour or two. I can't believe she plops her kids in front of a TV for an "educational video". WTF ever. She's a big FAIL! I taught school for 11 years. What she calls school is just a Mom reading a book to her kids and acting like she is doing something educational. Slap a label on it and call it homeschool. LL is a big FAT JOKE!

I hear you divadivine. It really pisses off the teachers i know that people think it is so easy to homeschool. Yeah-if like LL and you sux at it, sure it's easy.

I don't even think the lack of education would be so bad if she engaged with her kids.

I know lots of homeschooling parents who measure success differently than I do, but they seem earnestly engaged with the kids.

Vicka, you really are lucky. My niece's school is pretty good, and when she was in kindergarten, out of the three kindy classes, only one of them had a teacher's aide, and that was the newbie teacher. All of them had 23, 24, 25 students, something like that.

I was reading about schools in my neighborhood was and one was a mom complaining the classes were overcrowded because with 19 kids in her darling precious's class. 19 is probably the average, normal size of a mainstreamed kindy classroom.

I think average depictions of fundie homeschooling are just appalling. One read aloud and an educational video and you call it a day? A few disruptions and you need chocolates and a therapeutic cry? She needs some kind plan, curriculum and figure out what to do with her little kids besides expecting them to hang out on the sidelines. I agree to the extent that managing behaviors of your students in the classroom is a huge part of education.

Archived