IGNORED

Obnoxious article on how someone became "pro-life"

ilovetchotchkes

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/how-on ... e-pro-life

Really REALLY? one single conversation, that you can't remember EXACTLY what was said?

"I don’t remember exactly how Sadie walked me through the pro-life argument.

After about an hour of back and forth, I knew I was had. I couldn’t argue with her anymore. Every talking point I had, she had shredded with logic and knowledge. But I was still wavering.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I love too the smug comment too towards the end about how being pro-life led her to being a Christian too.

Amusing because I have never seen a pro-lifer win the argument. They always end up repetitively repeating the same failed logic, then skulking away, muttering under their breath.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/how-one-conversation-made-me-pro-life

Really REALLY? one single conversation, that you can't remember EXACTLY what was said?

"I don’t remember exactly how Sadie walked me through the pro-life argument.

After about an hour of back and forth, I knew I was had. I couldn’t argue with her anymore. Every talking point I had, she had shredded with logic and knowledge. But I was still wavering.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I love too the smug comment too towards the end about how being pro-life led her to being a Christian too.

How about being pro getyoursnottynoseoutofothersbusiness? Have they ever heard of this?

How about being pro getyoursnottynoseoutofothersbusiness? Have they ever heard of this?

Ha ha.

My husband, when he sees people getting all into other people's reproductive business (be it gay rights, abortion rights, etc), likes to mock them by putting his head close to my crotch and staring intently at it while putting on a fake kind of crazy voice and saying something like "WHAT is in your pants and WHAT are you doing with it? I just MUST know, and I need to make sure whatever you want to do with them does not happen!" .

It just reminds us both of how ridiculous these people really are!

As for the writer in that article, all I can really say is :roll:. My experience has been bunch like emmie's.

Ha ha.

My husband, when he sees people getting all into other people's reproductive business (be it gay rights, abortion rights, etc), likes to mock them by putting his head close to my crotch and staring intently at it while putting on a fake kind of crazy voice and saying something like "WHAT is in your pants and WHAT are you doing with it? I just MUST know, and I need to make sure whatever you want to do with them does not happen!" .

It just reminds us both of how ridiculous these people really are!

As for the writer in that article, all I can really say is :roll:. My experience has been bunch like emmie's.

My son's G-dmother has a bumper sticker that says "Religious Cooalition for reproductive choice". I"d get one but my uber Anti-choice Catholic family would proceed to give birth to several litters of kittens if they saw it.

Why does blonde curly hair, blue eyes and creamy skin make a child perfect? Even as a child, this type of ideal bothered me.

WTF, this screams EUGENICS to me. I'm white, my husband is Asian. I think any child with any skin color and any kind of hair is precious! They have never seen babies with almond eyes or mocha skin! Some people suck!

Why does blonde curly hair, blue eyes and creamy skin make a child perfect? Even as a child, this type of ideal bothered me.

This.

That part freaked me out more than the rest. Since you don't want teh baybeez but had 'em anyway, God will give you the bestest, bestest kids ever. The really white ones, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

That is an incredibly strange site and an incredibly weird story with a lot of holes.

I have a clear memory of looking for a website one day when I accidentally typed the URL incorrectly, and instead of the shopping site I was looking for, I ended up at a pro-life website with a large, graphic photo of an aborted fetus on the title page

What? What "shopping site" has a similar address to a generic "pro-life site"? Details make a story far more believable.

Anyway, Sadie and I reconnected somehow, and she asked if I wanted to come spend the night. Her husband was overseas with the Army, so we could put the kids to bed and stay up all night talking like we did back in high school. I said sure, and she said she’d come by to pick me up.

What adult friends ask another adult friend to come over explicitly to spend the night and stay up all night talking, especially when one is a mother of young children ? That is such a strange proposition. Also, why is she picking her up? Oh that's right, so we can work the bumper stickers into the story somehow.

Over the course of the next year, I would lose a few dear friends over this issue and similar ones. Other people have remained friends with me, but it’s never quite been the same. The issue is so divisive that it really can make or break friendships, I’ve learned, especially when you do what I did and become an overnight activist.

I have friends who are pro-life. We are still friends, even in a similar fashion to how we were friends before I knew they were pro-life. It's not really that divisive if you can just have a nice rational discussion on these things and learn not to be annoying about it and shove your views down their throat. Don't be an activist to your friends, it's annoying.

That story was just weird. If her friend's argument worked so well why didn't she lay it out for us? And I still want to know what shopping site she was looking for.

"Pro-abort" - aww, how cute!

Pro-choice is that - the belief that women should be able to choose their reproductive lives - to have children or not, when to have them. My choice to use birth control and space my children is as valid as Michelle Duggar's choices.

So... "I grew up in a religious family with pro-life views that were publicly displayed around the house, I had pro-life friends with whom I discussed the pro-life position... and by some miracle I'm now pro-life"? These people love to exaggerate their level of 'rebellion' in their younger days.

See also: the 'testimonies' of 'former atheists'. "I was the WORST SINNER IN THE WORLD...gangs, drugs, alcohol...petty crime...evolution...hated God...Tupac had nothing on me...blah blah blah" - all said by a well-spoken professional white man in a suit.

"She said something so profound and impressive that it changed my worldview. But I don't actually remember what it was."

I'm pretty sure this conversion to pro life is totally fake. Doubt that woman was ever pro choice. If it was such a good argument, why can't she remember it? I wanna be pro getyournoseoutofothersbusiness ! I think that's an awesome word:) I'll make the choices that work for me, and everyone else can make the choices that work for them and we'll all be happy.

What? What "shopping site" has a similar address to a generic "pro-life site"? Details make a story far more believable.

It's easily done. I can't count the number of times I've tried to type 'Amazon.com', slipped, and accidentally typed 'Babykillersburninhell.com/archives/2003/05/14/bloodyfetuspicture3.jpg'.

She said, " Abortion is murder, dontcha' know". I was sold. A few pics of dead babies, a few more "Abortion is Murder". The bible says, it's murder, though I can't give you the exact scripture, but trust me it's in there, and I was pro-life for ever. Seriously has any Pro-lifer used many more arguements then that??

"She said something so profound and impressive that it changed my worldview. But I don't actually remember what it was."

My friend who posted this, that's exactly what I want to say, that it'd be a HELL of a lot more convincing if she could relay EXACTLY what was said if it was so life changing.

That is an incredibly strange site and an incredibly weird story with a lot of holes.

What adult friends ask another adult friend to come over explicitly to spend the night and stay up all night talking, especially when one is a mother of young children ? That is such a strange proposition. Also, why is she picking her up? Oh that's right, so we can work the bumper stickers into the story somehow.

I have friends who are pro-life. We are still friends, even in a similar fashion to how we were friends before I knew they were pro-life. It's not really that divisive if you can just have a nice rational discussion on these things and learn not to be annoying about it and shove your views down their throat. Don't be an activist to your friends, it's annoying.

That story was just weird. If her friend's argument worked so well why didn't she lay it out for us? And I still want to know what shopping site she was looking for.

I know, what a weird story! I do as well have pro-life friends, but we both agree to disagree on the issue!

What most likely happened was that she became uber-fundie on the issue and bugged people with her newfound viewpoint, pestering them with the zeal of the converted. I could see her former friends finding her super annoying...

Vague much? She said something to me and it totally changed my life . . . no really . . . um . . .

I especially love this:

I went home and got on the computer and went immediately to pro-choice websites hoping to be unconvinced. Reality was setting in, and with it the understanding that a pro-life viewpoint was not compatible with my lifestyle, my friends, my political and religious beliefs, or my irreverent sense of humor. I felt a mild sense of panic, because if abortion was what I unfortunately now believed it was, then it was not only wrong, it was reprehensible. It was not just something I was going to disagree with, it was something I was going to have to fight.

Huh. So then you can't be pro-life and have friends with different opinions, or certain political and religious beliefs (gee could she be referring to agnostic / atheist and lib'rul by any chance?), or even a sense of humor. Well that at least makes sense. If you're a total "activist" that values your ideals above friendship or anything else, then yeah, you probably don't have any sense of humor either.

That story is so fake. She could have at least made up a few details or shown us some of these "facts" that the woman pointed out to her. Would have loved to hear them. Oh, but wait, someone might have totally trampeled her argument that way.

You know the only time it has been divisive between me and my very pro-life friends has been when they insist on being inflammatory in front of me. I guess I became an overnight activist during that time when my termination decision was hanging in the balance. But somehow what I learned was to communicate my story and ask for people to be reasonable and respectful to me. To understand that the issue that people want to be black and white so desperately just isn't. It just isn't.

Oh my Jove!

If you really wanna get angry, go read the article "5 myths about pro-lifers and how to refute them" on that site.

Barf bags not included.

It's easily done. I can't count the number of times I've tried to type 'Amazon.com', slipped, and accidentally typed 'Babykillersburninhell.com/archives/2003/05/14/bloodyfetuspicture3.jpg'.

It happens to the best of us, I guess :lol:

It's very easy to have discussions with friends, even on controversial issues, that won't result in a loss of friendship. You just don't be an ass and know when to stop. Problem solved.

I have friends all over the political spectrum and I am married to a conservative. It does not have to be an issue; people can respect others' beliefs. The presence or lack of respect is the issue, not the belief itself.

I have a very close friend who believes that religion is the opiate of the masses and that it is always exploitative. We have discussed this in a polite way, with no yelling or tears, and we both respect where the other one stands.

I have friends all over the political spectrum and I am married to a conservative. It does not have to be an issue; people can respect others' beliefs. The presence or lack of respect is the issue, not the belief itself.

I have a very close friend who believes that religion is the opiate of the masses and that it is always exploitative. We have discussed this in a polite way, with no yelling or tears, and we both respect where the other one stands.

As do I. They don't "get" why I don't eat bacon because the big man in the sky tells me not to, but they know I respect their belief of nothing out there.

As do I. They don't "get" why I don't eat bacon because the big man in the sky tells me not to, but they know I respect their belief of nothing out there.

More bacon for me!!!!!!

:dance:

If you believe abortion is murder, though, I imagine it's nearly impossible to have a "nice rational discussion" with people who support it.

Edited for clarity.

Archived