IGNORED

White House overturns FDA approved OTC Plan B

plaidninja

The motion was to make it accessible for everyone. The FDA approved it, but it was overturned.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/07 ... b-20111208

Antiabortion groups were delighted by the decision. "It would be outrageous to put a drug like Plan B on the shelf next to condoms," said Rita Diller, head of the American Life League's Stop Planned Parenthood project. "It's not meant to be ongoing birth control, and that's how they would use it if it was available like condoms."

Right now, Plan B is available to anyone over 16. It's not an abortifacient, so there shouldn't be really any fuss about it, unless they're upset that it is preventing a pregnancy that MIGHT have occurred if they left it alone.

I'm not sure how I feel. On one hand, a 14 or 15 year old who needs it is not likely to go to a doctor for a perscription, whether they're unable to get there or are scared or whatever. On the other, I know people MY age that don't understand how Plan B works and when you should take it. It's a lot of hormones. I'd hate to see someone young get hurt because they didn't clearly understand, but were scared and desperate to do SOMETHING.

The only conclusion I can come to from this is that 14- to 16-year-olds are not clever enough to know the difference between Plan B and condoms but are responsible enough to raise a child. Riiiight.

If they are fine putting teen clinics which would provide full, confidential and unbiased counseling and access to birth control and comprehensive sex education in every high school and other place that you would find teens, then I would have no issue with the prescription requirement. I'm just not holding my breath.....

I"m as pro-choice as they come, honestly, but I didn't support OTC Plan B. It's a heavy does of hormones, and it could SEVERELY fuck someone up if they already had a hormonal condition, undiagnosed issues, etc. It's still a medication. Birth control pills aren't OTC for a reason, you know? And it's not because pro-life groups wouldn't stand for it. SOme women shouldn't take it, for medical reasons.

I"m as pro-choice as they come, honestly, but I didn't support OTC Plan B. It's a heavy does of hormones, and it could SEVERELY fuck someone up if they already had a hormonal condition, undiagnosed issues, etc. It's still a medication. Birth control pills aren't OTC for a reason, you know? And it's not because pro-life groups wouldn't stand for it. SOme women shouldn't take it, for medical reasons.

Ditto.

Where I live you can get it through the pharmacist without a prescription. It's not OTC as you have to ask for it, and the pharmacist will give you info on side effects and things like that. I think that you're not allowed to take it more than 2X a

month...That's the best way to sell it IMO without having it go full-OTC.

Ditto.

Where I live you can get it through the pharmacist without a prescription. It's not OTC as you have to ask for it, and the pharmacist will give you info on side effects and things like that. I think that you're not allowed to take it more than 2X a

month...That's the best way to sell it IMO without having it go full-OTC.

That makes sense, but I'd be worried in some parts of the country that there may be an issue with pharmacists refusing it because of "moral/religious reasons" or judgment calls (ie, "that girl is too young for Plan B").

The only conclusion I can come to from this is that 14- to 16-year-olds are not clever enough to know the difference between Plan B and condoms but are responsible enough to raise a child. Riiiight.

I don't know, which is why I'm asking, but has Plan B been proven safe for 14-16 year olds?

I don't know, which is why I'm asking, but has Plan B been proven safe for 14-16 year olds?

14-16 y/o girls take oral contraceptives all the time. That's all Plan-B is, in a somewhat higher one-time dose.

There are all sorts of OTC medications which are readily available to 14-year-olds that have as much or higher risk as Plan-B.

I am an Obama supporter but I don't kid myself that this was not a political decision. Not that I necessarily blame him, as my focus is on him winning next November, and he doesn't need the quackadoodle right wing painting him as even more of a baby killer. This is simply a continuation of the policy on Plan-B that we've had in place for some years. I think what they should do is lower the age of availability with no prescription from 17 to 15. There is no medical reason not to do that, as Plan-B is no more of a medical risk to a 15 y/o than a 17 y/o. But I don't expect anything to happen after the election, assuming President Obama is re-elected.

That makes sense, but I'd be worried in some parts of the country that there may be an issue with pharmacists refusing it because of "moral/religious reasons" or judgment calls (ie, "that girl is too young for Plan B").

Here they'd lose their liscence if they did that.

I'm given to understand that the protections in place for that situation have been quietly eroded by the administration. Which I think is great. I'm a Christian, and if I thought my job might regularly involve compromising my morals, like, say, giving medication to people I think shouldn't have it, I might try a different field.

14-16 y/o girls take oral contraceptives all the time. That's all Plan-B is, in a somewhat higher one-time dose.

There are all sorts of OTC medications which are readily available to 14-year-olds that have as much or higher risk as Plan-B.

I am an Obama supporter but I don't kid myself that this was not a political decision. Not that I necessarily blame him, as my focus is on him winning next November, and he doesn't need the quackadoodle right wing painting him as even more of a baby killer. This is simply a continuation of the policy on Plan-B that we've had in place for some years. I think what they should do is lower the age of availability with no prescription from 17 to 15. There is no medical reason not to do that, as Plan-B is no more of a medical risk to a 15 y/o than a 17 y/o. But I don't expect anything to happen after the election, assuming President Obama is re-elected.

Plan B here has been touted as a high dose that can cause permanent harm if taken "too many times". I'll be honest and say I don't know much about it. I don't have time to google it all right now, but if it is truly safe and people truly understand how to use it, I don't see the point in it not being OTC.

You can more easily harm yourself taking too much Tylenol.

I think that they should keep it in school nurse's offices and allow girls to go, have a quick medical counseling session, and then take the pill before returning to class.

I am very, very against pregnancy in young teenaged girls. I was an older teen mother and it has been damn hard. I got pregnant despite contraception, but that is rare enough that more education and availability could really make a dent in our teen pregnancy rate.

Some stupid bitch on the TV was whining, "Would you want your daughter having access to such a dangerous drug without your knowledge?" Um, my teenager could buy heroin or crack cocaine in the halls of his upper-middle-class high school if he wanted. And I would rather my daughter take a morning after pill without my knowledge than to ruin her life with an unplanned pregnancy.

THIS. 100% THIS.

I think that they should keep it in school nurse's offices and allow girls to go, have a quick medical counseling session, and then take the pill before returning to class.

I am very, very against pregnancy in young teenaged girls. I was an older teen mother and it has been damn hard. I got pregnant despite contraception, but that is rare enough that more education and availability could really make a dent in our teen pregnancy rate.

Some stupid bitch on the TV was whining, "Would you want your daughter having access to such a dangerous drug without your knowledge?" Um, my teenager could buy heroin or crack cocaine in the halls of his upper-middle-class high school if he wanted. And I would rather my daughter take a morning after pill without my knowledge than to ruin her life with an unplanned pregnancy.

You said what I had to say. I don't want to end up sounding like a broken record in here, but adding in my own experiences as a young mother. I don't think I still have gotten out of the whole "young mom" thing, since people still look at me funny when they find out that yes, I AM her mother. Now, Sev does get annoyed by proxy, since people seem to think he has two daughters instead of one. It's fun to mess with them sometimes, if they are being idiots. :twisted:

If, for any reason my daughter needed plan B, I would want her to have access to that drug through responsible/legal channels and it to be dispensed by a licensed professional who knows what they are doing. And yes, I plan on Sevy being aware of ALL choices and having ALL the support she needs once she finds herself in any sexual situation, whatever her age may be.

I am a R.N. and licensed school nurse. My license does not cover me dispensing medication of my own accord. I need a nurse practitioner's/physician's order to dispense any medication, including tylenol. For tylenol to cause liver damage you need to be on heavy doses for a period of time, unless you take a massive overdose at one time. To take this medication I would want to know if they smoked, if there was a family history of pulmonary emboli (blood clots to the lung, often fatal), along with other health history. If there was a physician's order, with parameters listed (such as frequency) then I would give it but not of my own accord. I don't want to lose my license.

I don't know that I would want it to be available just off of the shelf, like cold medicine or something. A friend of mine had to take Plan B earlier this year and it caused some pretty bad side effects for her. So it's not really something that should be taken lightly, however I do think it should be made available to younger ages. Like you go up to the pharmacy counter and are able to ask for it, and get counseling on how to use it correctly, no questions asked.

I'm given to understand that the protections in place for that situation have been quietly eroded by the administration. Which I think is great. I'm a Christian, and if I thought my job might regularly involve compromising my morals, like, say, giving medication to people I think shouldn't have it, I might try a different field.

I'm kind of in favor of the moral/religious exemption. I could see how a pro-life pharmacist would have a serious issue with dispensing the Plan B. In their mind it would be like the state compelling any licensed health care professional (doctor, nurse, etc.) to be present at and participate in a death penalty execution. I'm not saying they *are* they same thing--just that a dedicated pro-lifer probably doesn't want to be a part of the legal, but still reprehensible (to him- or herself) act. Does that make sense?

Guest Anonymous

I'm kind of in favor of the moral/religious exemption. I could see how a pro-life pharmacist would have a serious issue with dispensing the Plan B. In their mind it would be like the state compelling any licensed health care professional (doctor, nurse, etc.) to be present at and participate in a death penalty execution. I'm not saying they *are* they same thing--just that a dedicated pro-lifer probably doesn't want to be a part of the legal, but still reprehensible (to him- or herself) act. Does that make sense?

No. In a small village, there may only be one pharmacist open at any time. The Plan B pill is only effective for a limited time. What is a woman to do if denied the pill because of the Pharmacist's religious beliefs?

Lots of fundies don't believe that depression is a bona fide illness: should they get religious exemption from dispensing Prozac?

Agreed. This is not an acceptable option. If you are morally/religiously against fulfilling part of your job, get a new one. It's like an anti-abortion doctor getting a job at PP and refusing to council about abortion. It's in the job description. Don't take the job if you can't handle it. Harsh, yes, but I don't want anyone's religious views to potentially fuck up my life.

Disclaimer: kids are awesome and a joy but just not for me.

The motion was to make it accessible for everyone. The FDA approved it, but it was overturned.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/07 ... b-20111208

Plan B is so expensive, though. If a kid walks into a grocery store with their allowance and has the choice of buying a $12 box of condoms, or one $45 Plan B pill, I wonder which they're going to choose. Or, if they're just interested in BC, they can try for a PP or something similar to get it for free/cheap. I really can't see any kid taking it as a replacement for condoms just because of the price, or over-dosing on it like you could on Tylenol.

For those agreeing with this decision to limiting Plan B to prescription only for under 17 year olds, would your fears be ameliorated if the medical establishment stated they agreed that it was safe for use for teenagers?

Not only that, that they ENCOURAGED teenage access to Plan B? What if the American Medical Association, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American Academy of Pediatrics have all endorsed over-the-counter access use of the medication?

Oh wait.

They did.

There is NO medical controversy regarding the safety and efficacy of OTC plan B.

There is certainly potential harm to every medication we give, but that doesn't prevent it from being OTC. Tylenol can cause liver failure, and it's toxic enough that people have come in with fulminate liver failure for even OTC doses. However, no one is demanding that we make acetaminophen prescription only.

If Plan B controversy is an medical issue, it's certainly not from the mainstream medical establishment. Plan B as OTC has been medically cleared for years now, and there is census within the medical community that it is safe for teenage use. A prescription would mean one more barrier to using the medication, especially since it is a time sensitive medication. The effectiveness of the emergency contraceptive is greatly reduced after the first 72 hours. Just as with evolution and climate change, right wingers have yelled out enough half-truths to drown out the science behind it. I guess it's just another day in washington politics. I admit to being disappointed in Obama for doing this, even if it's for a "greater good" (requiring contraceptive coverage in insurance coverage).

No. Find another line of work or go work in a Catholic hospital or something. Prescribed medication is between a person and their doctor. Pharmacists are to follow the doctor's written or transmitted orders accurately and answer any specific questions the patient may have about how to take the medication. If there is a concern about the medication for actual medical reasons, the pharmacist should contact the doctor.

Pharmacists need to stay the eff out of people's lives when it comes to moral issues.

No. Find another line of work or go work in a Catholic hospital or something. Prescribed medication is between a person and their doctor. Pharmacists are to follow the doctor's written or transmitted orders accurately and answer any specific questions the patient may have about how to take the medication. If there is a concern about the medication for actual medical reasons, the pharmacist should contact the doctor.

Pharmacists need to stay the eff out of people's lives when it comes to moral issues.

This. Most pharmacies here have only one or two pharmacists on duty at a given time, and I really don't think it's right for a person to be denied a time-sensitive medication because someone else's beliefs keep them from doing their job. If a person feels that strongly about it, then they need to find another line of work. (In my former line of work, one of the interview questions was if we would be able to shoot a fleeing inmate and/or stand witness at an execution- people who answered no probably didn't get hired; maybe they could add questions about emergency contraception to the pharmacist exam or job interview questions).

To me, allowing a pharmacist to make judgment calls that override a doctor's prescription just opens up the potential for all sorts of fuckery. Many pro-lifers believe that all birth control can potentially cause an abortion, so a person could claim moral/religious reasons for refusing to fill any birth control prescriptions, refusing them for unmarried women, etc.

This is just a new twist on one of my frustrations w/ many people who make 'medical'-esque decisions; to quote the great philosopher Rush, "if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

There are risks to Plan B, if a 13 YO takes it. But eliminating it as an option isn't helpful because choosing not to take Plan B may mean pregnancy--which is something that has risks.

You can't eliminate risks, you just trade one for another and weigh what's best--the risks from plan B are, in my mind, far from zero but are probably preferable to the risks from pregnancy.

I took plan b once this summer. I had no bad effects. Anyway, I live in a relatively small town with 5 pharmacies. I had to go to 3 of them before I found one that was selling the pill. At the first two the people at the counter acted very nervous and gave each other sideways glances when they told me they didn't have it. They stammered and told me to try some place else. The second pharmacy atleast called the third pharmacy to make sure they had it. When I got to the third pharmacy and I asked for the pill and the boy at the counter hurried over and got the package, slid it to me really quickly and took my money. It was very awkward. I'm not making this up. All three of the pharmacies acted like I was asking for a very bad thing, like I was taking an abortion pill.

*sigh*

Archived