IGNORED

You remember/ever watched religious/bible based cartoons?

finleeport

when you were young and have been fascinated by them?

For me it was the anime series Superbook and Flying House. I always have this nostalgic memory of them. Like the BBC version of Narnia, it was magical, full of imagination and good storytelling. I have heard there is a remake of Superbook, but was very disappointed and disgusted when I saw the clips.

It looked like Christian Science-fiction (which is often crappy) and worst of all, its distributed by that idiotic miser, Pat Robertson, and his equally evangelical son.

The remake lacked the innocence and magic of the anime and worst, they based it off from their own conservative KJ bible version.

When I was little, my brother and I had a babysitter that sat us down in front of VegiTales. We thought that show was hilarious... the best song was the Water Buffallo song. (Goes to Youtube to find it)

I was all over David & Goliath...I think that's what it was called. I didn't remember it being religious, but then googled it a few years ago, and was surprised to learn that it's Lutheran-based.

I really enjoy the VeggieTales, to be honest. The French peas on the wall of Jericho are priceless!

This Mormon cartoon kept my son from becoming LDS. He went to morning seminary for about a year and was really into it. I showed him this; he said, "That's crazy, they don't believe that!" I told him to ask the teacher, and he did, and that was the end of his Mormon phase.

7q6brMrFw0E

It was Davey and Goliath, that was the big one in my day.

I'm old...Davey and Goliath. Most cartoons in the 1960's and 1970's were secular.

Wow...I didn't know the LDS church had cartoons...amazing.

I was all over David & Goliath...I think that's what it was called. I didn't remember it being religious, but then googled it a few years ago, and was surprised to learn that it's Lutheran-based.

Morel Orel reminds me of Davey and Goliath although the creator of Morel Orel said it wasn't inspired by D&G. The Simpsons spoofed Davey and Goliath several times. Matt Groening was brought up Lutheran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_and_Goliath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Orel

Anyone else ever heard Adventures in Odyssey? I know it's not a cartoon, but same difference.

I really enjoy the VeggieTales, to be honest. The French peas on the wall of Jericho are priceless!

This Mormon cartoon kept my son from becoming LDS. He went to morning seminary for about a year and was really into it. I showed him this; he said, "That's crazy, they don't believe that!" I told him to ask the teacher, and he did, and that was the end of his Mormon phase.

7q6brMrFw0E

That's just plain creepy, and kinda disgusting.

I also watched Superbook and the Flying House when I was little. And I would rock out to some singing bible named Psalty. Even named my first dog after that character (when I was like, 3).

i loved veggie tales. i still like 'em, they are biblically based but i don't think they're too pushy about it. i think the main theme of their things is a broad moral fiber, like being good to others, and it just throws in the bible here and there. silly songs with larry is my absolute fav part of it all. my fav song is the very first one i heard, "i love my lips".

Not really the same, but I was forced to watch the first Left Behind movie during my youth Sunday School. Wow, what a horrible move that was!

Anyone else ever heard Adventures in Odyssey? I know it's not a cartoon, but same difference.

I got an adventures in Odyssey tape from Chik-Fil-A when I was a kid. It was pretty secular, as far as I remember, but disgusting moral and kind of boring. I only listened to it once or twice.

Guest Anonymous

Not only that but Davey and Goliath was created by the same team that did "Gumby". I don't remember ever wanting a dog like Goliath, but I did make my parents crazy for several years because I wanted a pony like Pokey. It was useless to remind me that we lived in an apartment snd weren't moving to the country any time soon.

I'm old...Davey and Goliath. Most cartoons in the 1960's and 1970's were secular.

Wow...I didn't know the LDS church had cartoons...amazing.

Same here. That Mormon video is crazy!

Superbook was epic!! I especially loved Gizmo! Uri and Ruffles were super cute too! :)

I still have taped VHS versions from CBN circa 1985-1987ish where they had a female host and kid audience. To start the episode, she would put the Superbook through a slot in the set door. Ahh memories...

I've rewatched some and I still think the plot lines are interesting and they didn't water down the biblical violence for the kiddies.

Also check out this still... hehe :)

Adam and Eve were soooo IMMODEST!!!!

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/5896/

how about mcgee and me? anyone remember that one? it's been sooooo long since i've seen it. i couldn't even remember what it was called, i had to look it up!

oh! and story keepers. i LOVED story keepers. srsly. i still kinda like them, too, cuz they're actually not really pushy. they just feature a bible story and how to apply it to your life, and it also advocates standing up for what you believe in no matter what other people say or do to you.

Veggi Tales, but I don't remember the ones I watched being particularly religious. There were moral lessons, but the Christianity was rarely mentioned at all back then.

Archived