IGNORED

You remember/ever watched religious/bible based cartoons?

finleeport

Morel Orel reminds me of Davey and Goliath although the creator of Morel Orel said it wasn't inspired by D&G. The Simpsons spoofed Davey and Goliath several times. Matt Groening was brought up Lutheran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_and_Goliath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Orel

I find it more than a little hard to believe that Moral Orel wasn't based on Davey and Goliath. I mean, come on, Davey and Moral are dead ringers for each other, right down to their shiny little helmet heads. Toss in the stop motion and the sermonizing, and it seems pretty obvious that earnest, do-gooder Davey was the primary inspiration for Moral. I think someone's just afraid of being sued.

I watched Davey and Goliath because there was literally nothing else to watch on Sunday mornings after I'd quietly shut my parents alarm off and hoped they wouldn't wake up in time for church. (they'd each blame each other for forgetting to set it :twisted:), but even as a young kid I found it's preachiness annoying.

I find it more than a little hard to believe that Moral Orel wasn't based on Davey and Goliath. I mean, come on, Davey and Moral are dead ringers for each other, right down to their shiny little helmet heads. Toss in the stop motion and the sermonizing, and it seems pretty obvious that earnest, do-gooder Davey was the primary inspiration for Moral. I think someone's just afraid of being sued.

I watched Davey and Goliath because there was literally nothing else to watch on Sunday mornings after I'd quietly shut my parents alarm off and hoped they wouldn't wake up in time for church. (they'd each blame each other for forgetting to set it :twisted:), but even as a young kid I found it's preachiness annoying.

I don't blame you, I was less entertained by Davey and Goliath

I thought I was going to be the first one to mention McGee and Me. I loved that show and just watched a few episodes on youtube, boy that brought me back

Same here. That Mormon video is crazy!

I watched Davey and Goliath and Gumby... which is weird in retrospect considering we're jewish... I never noticed that they had a religious theme. That being said, I also loved little house!

OK, the mormon video is pretty freaky. I'm assuming the church has backed off the "dark skin" thing by now, but they really believe that there are more gods?

Does the claymation version of The Little Drummer Boy count? I watched it as a kid in Sunday school. It was made in 1960s and apparently is kind of racist but I didn't notice that at the time (I was like six). I also remember watching these cartoons of Bible stories...but I don't remember who made them. I think they were equally as old because they looked similar to the old Scooby Doo episodes.

I've heard lots of Adventures in Odyssey.

We had a whole bunch of cassettes of kids stories from the Bible, but I don't really remember anything about them. One of my friends was a big fan of Psalty the Singing Psalmbook.

how about mcgee and me? anyone remember that one? it's been sooooo long since i've seen it. i couldn't even remember what it was called, i had to look it up!

I totally remember McGee and Me. My Sunday School teacher in 5th grade used to park us in front of the TV to watch this show at least once a month, when she didn't have any lesson planned. It took awhile for clueless me to figure out that it was a "religious" cartoon.

Other than Davey and Goliath which I do remember but only saw a few times, when were all these shows on? I was Catholic,so every Sat.morning I had CCD classes and missed all the good cartoons. Sunday we usually slept in from watching "Fantasy Island" the night before and I don't remember any other religious cartoons on. We also didn;t get cable until around 1984ish so we didn't watch all that much tv anyway when I was little.

Anyone else ever heard Adventures in Odyssey? I know it's not a cartoon, but same difference.

Actually AIO was made into a series of cartoon videos for a while.

Anyone else ever heard Adventures in Odyssey? I know it's not a cartoon, but same difference.

THey actually made it into (rather lousy) cartoons.

On the days when they had a sense of humor and/or did classical works of literature (the gifts of 'mag and guy' comes to mind), it was worth listening to (the gifts of mag and guy still cracks me up--I have the cassette tape somewhere)

Although Jungle-Jammin-Friends the radio show was better, by far ;)

There was a show similar to McGee and Me where the babysitter had an imagination only the kids she watched could see it ...there was a talking toaster.

I just googled for like 20 minutes to find it was "secret adventures":

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Adventures ... 6304372175

^I was pretty 'non-critical' as a kid and these were lousy. But I did want the babysitter's clothes because I lacked a fashion sense tht way. :oops:

Heh - used to watch Superbook and Davey and Goliath. We also had Psalty stuff and Charity Churchmouse...my parents were totally annoyed by that tape (think mice voices singing Jesus songs...yeah, fun times). I remember the Donut Man, too.

I LOVED the "Night on Bald Mountain" section of Fantasia. LOVED it. That's the second-last piece, with animation of the devil (officially Disney says it was Chernabog; yeah, okay, Disney, whatever), demons, ghosts and spirits floating around and then having the creepiest devil worship dance in infernal flames and it's genuinely frightening to me as an adult but as a child, all I remember is devilish glee. (It is also very well animated.)

I remember occasionally feigning interest in the part that followed - after the devil retreated at dawn, the next section was "Ave Maria", with a procession of saints. BOR-ING. But I wanted to be a good little child so I pretended to care sometimes.

Video included because Fantasia doesn't seem to be a part of the children's canon, so a lot of you may not have ever seen it, and that makes me sad.

V8Ca_edg6RE

oh yes, the donut man and gerbert! i had forgotten all about them! wow.

i saw fantasia, too, but i didn't really like it except for that part that patsy posted. lol does anyone remember the little plain, servant, stereotypical "black" centaur and the beautiful, regal looking "white" centaur? i heard they edited that out on a later release.

I LOVED the "Night on Bald Mountain" section of Fantasia. LOVED it. That's the second-last piece, with animation of the devil (officially Disney says it was Chernabog; yeah, okay, Disney, whatever), demons, ghosts and spirits floating around and then having the creepiest devil worship dance in infernal flames and it's genuinely frightening to me as an adult but as a child, all I remember is devilish glee. (It is also very well animated.)

I remember occasionally feigning interest in the part that followed - after the devil retreated at dawn, the next section was "Ave Maria", with a procession of saints. BOR-ING. But I wanted to be a good little child so I pretended to care sometimes.

Video included because Fantasia doesn't seem to be a part of the children's canon, so a lot of you may not have ever seen it, and that makes me sad.

V8Ca_edg6RE

I grew up on that movie, I have probably seen that film 500 times by now. I HATE, HATE, HATED night on bald mountain. Scared me silly. 16 years later I still refuse to listen to it. :? I rather liked the Ave Maria segment, or at least I liked the last few minutes where you progress though a church into what I can only assume is heaven.

Speaking of Chernabog, he's the second to last boss in Kingdom Hearts. Damn was it satisfying to just beat the shit out of him.

*edited for riffles

oh yes, the donut man and gerbert! i had forgotten all about them! wow.

i saw fantasia, too, but i didn't really like it except for that part that patsy posted. lol does anyone remember the little plain, servant, stereotypical "black" centaur and the beautiful, regal looking "white" centaur? i heard they edited that out on a later release.

She was edited out, although there's still some black zebra centaur servants. They would've had to remove a significant scene to get rid of them, Sunflower, thankfully, contributed nothing to the continuity of the segment and could easily be removed.

The bit with the dinosaurs is way more interesting anyway. :)

*edited to add more info

I really enjoy the VeggieTales, to be honest. The French peas on the wall of Jericho are priceless!

This Mormon cartoon kept my son from becoming LDS. He went to morning seminary for about a year and was really into it. I showed him this; he said, "That's crazy, they don't believe that!" I told him to ask the teacher, and he did, and that was the end of his Mormon phase.

7q6brMrFw0E

Usually I'd try to hold my tongue about others' beliefs but I'm feeling uncharitable. That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

When I was little, I was a HUGE Lamb Chop fan, and jumped at any opportunity to watch her videos. I found one at Blockbuster one day and rented it only to discover that it was Lamb Chop and some strange woman who wasn't Shari Lewis telling stories from the New Testament. That left me pretty upset and confused, since Shari Lewis is Jewish.

In my house, no Passover was complete without the Animated Hagaddah.

V9mk3c2jiqE

Oh, I LOVED SuperBook! I was thinking about that just the other day. I never knew it was considered anime. My religion classes were on Saturday morning (bless my parents for taping the Saturday Morning Cartoons my brother & I had to miss to attend). In my third grade class, I forget what the point of the lesson was, but the teacher was role-playing a "bully" - she was talking in this really funny voice asking us what we had done the night before, and then pointing out how what we were doing was stupid and we should have been spending our time reading the Bible or praying or something instead - I just realized she was role-playing a fundie! Anyway, my memory of the point of this exercise is really foggy, but I do remember when she got to me and asked me what I did last night and I told her I was watching TV, as she went into her, "Well, you should have been..." line instead, I was able to trip her up when I said, "But I was watching SuperBook, it's a religious cartoon!" :lol:

Oh yes. I loved Adventures in Odyssey. And sometimes I'd get up early on Saturday before the kid radio shows and listen to the Answers in Genesis talk about things like Great Flood evidence in the grand canyon.

Archived