IGNORED

Gay people can get married in New York!

Austin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good day for progressives! I was already riding a bit high with Planned Parenthood of Indiana's victory today, and now this!

:gay-rainbowflag: :gay-color: :gay-rainbowflag:

The fundies are going to be pissed. I dread the outraged hate-filled vitriolic babbling that this will cause on the blogs we follow.

However, this news is awesome, especially coming on the recent polling that shows a majority of Americans now support gay marriage. I believe it will happen federally in our lifetime.

I'm so happy!!!!!! It's only a matter of time before all states recognize that discrimination is discrimination and that equality is paramount. Happy Dance!

Since I live in NY I couldn't be more thrilled and I am very excited that the Republican state senator from my district changed his mind and voted yes. The conservative religious communities got a lot of concessions which basically allow churches and church-run non-profits to refuse to marry or provide services for gay families if they choose to do so. If anyone fights that portion of the law and it's found to be unconstitutional, then the entire gay marriage statute will be null and void. That's how they convinced some republicans to vote for it. But in 30 days, gay people will finally be allowed to marry in NY. :clap:

yay! Good job NY!

I'd be happier if President Obama's remarks about gay marriage as of late put some federal responsibility on this issue, so my happiness is slightly dampened.

YAY!YAY!YAY! Every time a new state "turns," I do a happy dance! As an Indiana resident, I'm also happy about the Planned Parenthood victory! :gay-color: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbowflag: (loooooving these smilies!)

yay! Good job NY!

I'd be happier if President Obama's remarks about gay marriage as of late put some federal responsibility on this issue, so my happiness is slightly dampened.

Even if he did, there is still not that much he can do without Congress. And we know that is not going to happen with this yahoo filled congress.

Even if he did, there is still not that much he can do without Congress. And we know that is not going to happen with this yahoo filled congress.

Yes, but I'd still like a president that feels that marriage equality is necessary on a federal level. He made some pretty stupid remarks at a fundraising dinner recently and if he really believes DOMA is unconstitutional, then this whole state's responsibility reasoning is just remarkably dumb.

I'm mad at the whole system. I realize he can't openly endorse marriage equality coming up on an election year but I'm still mad! I want to get married and stop filling out all this ridiculous paperwork, jingerites! I SHOULDN'T HAVE 1839273 FORMS TO FILL OUT TO GET THESE RIGHTS.

But hey, at least gays in New York won't have the aforementioned 1839273 forms in 30 days! Yay!!

/end negativity and thread jack!

Last time I was this proud of my home state was after 9/11. I wish it hadn't taken 10 years, but oh am I happy. Now, to figure out what to wear to the weddings that will be coming up :D :happy-wavemulticolor:

Wooo! :banana-explosion: :banana-explosion: :banana-explosion:

This is such great news! Well done, New York! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy::greetings-clappingyellow: :banana-dance: :banana-rainbow:

Oh, to be in New York for Pride this weekend!

It is so overdu4e. I lived in NYC when the Stonewall riots happened. Wonderful news.

:banana-rainbow: :character-spongebobdance: :gay-color: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbowflag::handgestures-thumbupleft::romance-adore: :orcs-gayflag:

(too many smilies?)

I was wondering why my hetero marriage abruptly dissolved tonight! Tomorrow I'm going to marry a horse and a dining room set, if I'm not assigned a woman to gay-marry first. That's what's supposed to happen every time a state legalizes marriage equality, right?

Seriously, awesome job, NY. :clap: I'm sure my state will be one of the last holdouts, but it's coming. Slow progress, but progress nevertheless. Bigoted fuckers are on the wrong side of history.

Nice to see there is some good sense in the USA!

Archived