IGNORED

Volunteering vs. working

annalena

Question:

A lot of SAHM and SAHW , fundy-lite at least, say they are so active and involved and volunteer here and there.

While I totally support volunteering and think it's a very honorable thing to do, how is it ok to do that, but not to work? Is it because you're not getting paid? Is it less hours? What's the difference, really?

Volunteering is selfless; you are doing a good deed for others and the only "reward" is knowing you have helped someone. You are being a servant, giving back to the community, helping, etc. so it might be okay. Having a job is self-centered because you are paid and are obviously placing a higher value on yourself and your career to the detriment of your family. Your rightful place as a woman is at home with your headship and mega family. That is my take on this. Also, a job puts the employee in contact with people who may not be "like-minded" and could be a bad influence. You can be more particular in choosing a volunteer opportunity. Most of the people discussed on FJ seem to limit help to those like themselves. I don't think of any of the bloggers I read volunteer with outsiders. Three Duggars are volunteer firefighters, as are Michaela and Zach Bates. But they seem to be exceptions to the norm from what I have read.

Here's a thought:

Being in business school, one thing I've been taught over and over is that ethics and money are not contradictial.

Example: Hospital management. Is it really ethical to focus on money, or should you focus on helping more people regardless? Thing is, if you work your resources right and spend them economically, you'll end up being able to help more people. It's not ethical just to throw out money.

My point is....

who says in a working job they couldn't help others? I'm thinking teachers, counselors and stuff.

I'm thinking to volunteer and start social projects once I have my own life on track and financial stability. Which may be 10, or 20 years from now. But then I can really dedicate to that.

Have a feeling I can't really get my thoughts across right now.Sorry. Might try again later. :)

Since a woman's place is at home, even a job that helps others is not okay. It would take your time and focus away from your own family. And since women should not be in a position of authority over a man, there is also a risk of violating that "rule" if she works. The man is supposed to support the family, preferably by having his own business. The woman is the wife and mother and helpmeet to her husband. A job would interfere with that, even if she has one that helps others. Nothing should take a woman away from her primary purpose.

The other nice thing about volunteering for fundie women is that you're "giving up your time to be there", so no one can really order you around or hold you accountable if you don't show up or put in much effort. It's so Christian of you to be there at all.

In practice this means that many volunteers are more of a hindrance than a help, and the work of supervising them/doing the stuff they didn't feel like doing completely cancels out the tiny amount they did contribute. A lot of these fundie women are so self-involved (and the SAHDs so lazy), I can see it playing out like that. They feel good about "giving their time", everyone else does the actual work -- because of course their first priority is their family!!!1!

Well I read about some fundie-lites volunteering and how that's a great opportunity. Also when I visited my fundy-lite friend I got to meet a friend of hers and her mom (long story) and the mom proudly stated how she was a SAHM but volunteered at her kids' schools all the time.

So I was like...ummm...why not look for a paid job.

@Constance Vigilance: yeahh, makes sense. It's already altruistic to DO IT, duh!

Archived