IGNORED

The Pearls on Friendly Atheist

QAF_Rocks

The Pearls finally showed up on my favorite blog:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/11/08/why-would-anyone-spank-a-child/

The Pearls are firmly against physical abuse — they don’t think their version of spanking constitutes that — but they are feverishly in support of mental and emotional abuse. They want children to fear their parents. They want children to know that stepping out of line will not be tolerated. They want children to believe their parents always know best no matter what.

Someone needs to school Hemant! The Pearls may say they are against physical abuse, but we all know that's exactly what their methods entail, and it's misleading to call what they do "spanking."

The comment section is another story. I'm horrified to see so many spanking defenders, especially among my fellow freethinkers. If anyone wants to go over and give them a good verbal smackdown, be my guest.

The comment section seems to be pretty mixed on spanking, which is exactly what you'd expect with a discussion about spanking. My impression was that people weren't necessarily supporting spanking, per se; they were just saying that they were spanked in the past and that it had no detrimental effects on them. As for the Pearls' teachings going above and beyond mere spanking, someone should post excerpts from their book. I don't have a copy, but if I did, I would totally post excerpts.

Hemant is becoming aware of the QF/P movement, as is PZ Myers. They've both posted stuff about Vision Forum and ATI, including posting stuff from Libby Anne's blog and recoveringgrace.org.

You know, in one of my stories, I created couple based on the Pearls; they were actually suppressed sadomasochists beating children up to get themselves aroused and satisfied. Every time the Mrs. sees her hubbie beating a child she would take him upstairs and commit the 'marriage act'

The comment section seems to be pretty mixed on spanking, which is exactly what you'd expect with a discussion about spanking. My impression was that people weren't necessarily supporting spanking, per se; they were just saying that they were spanked in the past and that it had no detrimental effects on them. As for the Pearls' teachings going above and beyond mere spanking, someone should post excerpts from their book. I don't have a copy, but if I did, I would totally post excerpts.

Hemant is becoming aware of the QF/P movement, as is PZ Myers. They've both posted stuff about Vision Forum and ATI, including posting stuff from Libby Anne's blog and recoveringgrace.org.

I have seen various comment sections, forums and real life discussion on spanking and there are always mixed responses. I know some people including my parents who believe in spanking only in situations in which the kid has done something really bad. I knew other kids were spanked a lot more than me and some of them were hit for little infractions. The Pearls and TTUAC does go way above spanking and the things in the book are just flat out disturbing.

Try not to let Pearl supporters turn what the Pearls do into a spanking debate. No matter what a person's views on spanking, most of us can agree that the Pearls are abusive. Comparing spanking to the Pearls' methods is like comparing grounding to being locked in a cage for a week. It isn't the same thing. Turning the debate from clearl abusive methods to one about spanking versus non spanking is their way of hiding what is reprehensible about their teachings

Archived