IGNORED

Would Josh and Anna be able to afford a lot of children?

luv2laugh

Would Josh and Anna be able to afford as many children as Jim Bob & Michelle? Anna's comment of, "Hopefully, we'll catch up--follow them soon!" with the announcement of baby #20 has me wondering. JB and Michelle are only able to afford their family because of the show..... I highly doubt Josh and Anna could afford that many kids? Maybe only 5-6 if even?

In the real world, kids are expensive. In Duggar world, you limit your expenses. Kids aren't expensive if you don't buy them things, take them places, pay for baby sitters, take them to the doctor, or do anything beyond the basics of keeping them alive.

My kids are daycare kids, and we've spent upwards of $20K in some years for babysitting.

They will end up living the way Josh grew up. They will pile multiple kids into a few beds and their clothes will be homemade from bargain bin fabric. JB and Michelle weren't always rich. Smuggar and Anna will keep having them, whether they can afford to or not. Remember that they don't have to worry about college or a basic standard of living. Any attempt at being responsible will be seen as doubting God.

When Anna has a nervous breakdown over having 7 children under the age of 7, what are the chances that a kind friend will offer to do her laundry?

They will end up living the way Josh grew up. They will pile multiple kids into a few beds and their clothes will be homemade from bargain bin fabric. JB and Michelle weren't always rich. Smuggar and Anna will keep having them, whether they can afford to or not. Remember that they don't have to worry about college or a basic standard of living. Any attempt at being responsible will be seen as doubting God.

THIS! For the sake of that poor children that they will be having in the future (and there will be a lot if Anna is as fertile as her older sister Esther who has 7 or 8 kids under 9) I really hope that Smuggar will start working and I mean really working!

When Anna has a nervous breakdown over having 7 children under the age of 7, what are the chances that a kind friend will offer to do her laundry?

Maybe one of the Query girls or Mrs. Query herself. And Anna's sister Priscilla has also drunken a LOT from the koolaid.. so if she stays unmarried I can totally see her helping her sister.

The Duggars do take their kids to doctors and dentists. I give credit to the Duggars for at least doing certain things like unlike some fundies.

I have observed that the Duggars and some fundies in some ways don't give their kids certain luxuries or things that would cost money. None of the Duggar kids have ever played youth sports. I don't see Boob paying money for several kids to play soccer or little league baseball. He would freak out at the cost uniforms, cleats and accessories. I believe Michelle and a woman who is friends with the family taught the kids to play piano and violin. This woman might have given free or discounted lessons. I don't see Boob ever allowing and paying for any of the kids to take vocal lessons. The Duggar kids do have toys, but I doubt Boob would ever buy each kid an iPod, video game console or similar items.

The Duggars homeschooling their kids does cut out some expenses that public and private school parents have. Some homeschooling parents do allow buy their kids class rings and allow them to attend prom type events that are held for secular and religious homeschoolers. The Duggars would never allow the girls to attend those events, so there they wouldn't be spending money on formal dress, shoes or other items needed. I don't see Boob popping money for each kid to have a class ring.

In some ways, it might possible for Josh and Anna to support a lot of children, but I can see them struggling more than Boob and Mullet. I agree with other posters, they may end up living the same Josh grew up before TLC came into the picture.

Although all the older kids have iPhones and somebody pays for them (maybe it's TLC, don't know)

I somehow don't see beeing Josh that strict. Maybe towards Anna and his children, but not towards himself. He just seems too childish for such a mature behaviour. But maybe Iam doing him wrong.

I think they started on braces only after TLC. Braces are expensive.

And as much as I loathe Boob and the brood mare, they both worked and worked hard before all the little flowers came along. I think Anna could be a hard worker, but Smuggar is a sloth.

Although all the older kids have iPhones and somebody pays for them (maybe it's TLC, don't know)

I somehow don't see beeing Josh that strict. Maybe towards Anna and his children, but not towards himself. He just seems too childish for such a mature behaviour. But maybe Iam doing him wrong.

I think Boob and Mullet are now ok with the older kids have certain things. But I don't see Boob giving the younger kids iPods or iPhones. I think the iPhones might be the only luxury electronics items in addition to the computers that the older kids have. JD, Jospeh, Josh and the older boys never had video game consoles.

When they had that first special "14 kids and pregnant again" Jana was already wearing braces. I think they had an insurance for the oldest ten or something due to JB's time as a state representative.

Would be interesting to know whether Josh and Anna have an insurance and whether they will go to the doctor with their kids. After seeing those poorly prepared homebirths with a doula and not even a midwife I have some doubts about that.

I think Jill might have gotten braces right after the show started. Some dental insurance plans will pay part of the costs of orthodontics. I think maybe right now Boob has socked away some money for future orthodontics if some of the younger kids need work done.

Guest Anonymous

I don't see how they could possibly afford to take care of as many kids as Michelle and Jimbob have unless they get their own show or something. I have one child and it's expensive enough with the clothes, shoes (she grows like a weed), school pics, dance and guitar lessons etc..I know she doesn't HAVE to have lessons and stuff but I want her too, she enjoys it. Not to mention our household expenses included! I don't see them going the same route as Michelle and Jimbob..Anna seems reluctant to me.

Would Josh and Anna be able to afford as many children as Jim Bob & Michelle? Anna's comment of, "Hopefully, we'll catch up--follow them soon!" with the announcement of baby #20 has me wondering. JB and Michelle are only able to afford their family because of the show..... I highly doubt Josh and Anna could afford that many kids? Maybe only 5-6 if even?

Well let's not forget that the Duggars already had 14 kids before their first tv special. Clearly the show has allowed them to live a much more comfortable life with more material goods and a larger home, more trips etc.

The Duggars homeschooling their kids does cut out some expenses that public and private school parents have. Some homeschooling parents do allow buy their kids class rings and allow them to attend prom type events that are held for secular and religious homeschoolers. The Duggars would never allow the girls to attend those events, so there they wouldn't be spending money on formal dress, shoes or other items needed. I don't see Boob popping money for each kid to have a class ring.

In the long view I think homeschooling probably costs more than public school. Class rings and Prom are both optional and usually a one or two time event in 12 years of education. Homeschooling, especially when done by parents who are motivated to ensure thier kids get a quality education probably costs more since you have to buy books, supplies, curriculum, subscriptions to online education programs. Of course we know that the Duggars don't put a lot of effort or priority into homeschooling but I still think that people don't really chose to home school because it's cheaper than public school.

Anyway to answer the original question. yeah raising kids are expensive but that usually means you care about your kid's quality of life. Fundies care about quantity over quality and it's obvious they cut ever corner possible about their food they feed their kids (cheap processed junk) clothes they wear (flip flops), education they receive (half assed home schooling) and space they live (drawer, pack and play, stacked like cordwood Life in a shoe style)

I do think that when the show is over Josh is in for a rude awakening about how to live off what an actual small town used car salesman lives on. I think that have had a taste for a better life, funded by TLC it will be hard to go back to reality. I may be projecting here but I imagine Josh might feel a bit conflicted because his religion and his job are telling him to keep pushing out those babies so he can get more morney and more kudos from God but his rational sense knows his house is small, his real paycheck might not support a big family.

According to USA today, JB can get a pension from being a state lawmaker. I found another document stating that Arkansas lawmakers receive the same health packages as other state employees, but I could not find anything about how long after their term this extended or if it was for life.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 50523328/1

Well let's not forget that the Duggars already had 14 kids before their first tv special. Clearly the show has allowed them to live a much more comfortable life with more material goods and a larger home, more trips etc.

In the long view I think homeschooling probably costs more than public school. Class rings and Prom are both optional and usually a one or two time event in 12 years of education. Homeschooling, especially when done by parents who are motivated to ensure thier kids get a quality education probably costs more since you have to buy books, supplies, curriculum, subscriptions to online education programs. Of course we know that the Duggars don't put a lot of effort or priority into homeschooling but I still think that people don't really chose to home school because it's cheaper than public school.

Good point homeschooling does cost more than public in the aspects of buying books and related supplies and certain programs.

Depending on where you, homeschooling is almost as expensive as private school, maybe more if your kids are involved in a lot of activities. When I homeschooled, my kids were in the same mixture of sports and music they are in now, plus three different co-ops, karate, archery, numerous dance lessons, community theater, etc. That shit all costs money. It also takes time from the mom, lots and lots of it. Michelle could easily handle the little kids and the house herself if the others were in public school. The older girls are really paying a huge price for the parents' homeschooling conviction.

Depending on where you, homeschooling is almost as expensive as private school, maybe more if your kids are involved in a lot of activities. When I homeschooled, my kids were in the same mixture of sports and music they are in now, plus three different co-ops, karate, archery, numerous dance lessons, community theater, etc. That shit all costs money. It also takes time from the mom, lots and lots of it. Michelle could easily handle the little kids and the house herself if the others were in public school. The older girls are really paying a huge price for the parents' homeschooling conviction.

I knew one fundie lite homeschooling family and two secular homeschooling families whose kids were involved in sports, music and similar hobbies that costs money. One of the secular homeschooling families was a bit wealthy and they only had three kids. They probably didn't have trouble financing homeschooling and other activities. The fundie lite family I knew and I lived near growing up had their three sons in baseball, fall and spring soccer, and they also went to Christian summer camps that had had high fees. One of the sons told me that one of the camps he attended was $300.

I have noticed that Duggars and fundie homeschooling families keep their kids at home or with them as much as they can. One time my boyfriend was watching the show with me and it was the episode in which Jim Boob and cement and basketball backboards and hoops put up in the yard. Michelle made the comment about Jim Bob was excited to have a basketball court for the kids. My bf made the comment why doesn't he allow the kids to play in youth sports leagues and I said he probably doesn't because of money. I think part of the reason the kids aren't in sports is because Boob and Mullet like controlling their kids and not have them around outside influences. They probably want to control the friendships the kids have so they limit them to other fundie or homeschooling families around them. I think maybe Josh, Jana, Jill and JD are the only kids who have made friends outside the family or fundie circles.

Michelle and Jim Bob worked for four years saving money and getting/staying out of debt before Josh came along. I think they had the time to build up a mindset of budgeting, spending little, etc before kids came along so they had the strength and willpower to not buy the latest and greatest as well as having a decent nest egg. Since Josh and Anna got pregnant after 4 months they didn't have this same building time as his parents. This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't think J/A will be able to afford a lot of kids. They never got into the mindset of getting their financial life into a mindset of wants vs needs in order to afford lots of kids.

I also don't see Jim Bob's work ethic in Josh. It may be just what I'm seeing on TV but from what I understand Jim Bob was basically working two jobs when he and Michelle first got married and continued those two jobs well after the babies were born. Josh seems to barely be working at one job and Anna isn't working.

To be fair to the Duggars, the lack of extracurriculars isn't just for financial reasons. Can you imagine trying to track 19 different schedules of extracurricular activities? It would be a nightmare, even with 5-6 teens who can drive.

And of course if they signed up for youth sports or classes their kids would have the oppertunity to interact and hang out with mainstream public-school educated children. It would probably give J'Chelle the vapors.

Josh also does not have the willpower to make sacrifices for his family. I just can't see him driving a heap or going without clothing and toys himself. If they have twenty, those kids will be going without necessities everytime Daddy wants a bigger TV.

Josh and Anna will not be able to give their brood the lifestyle enjoyed by Josh's siblings. The best they can probably hope for is a Bates pre-remodel home and I doubt Josh has even Gil's work ethic, let alone Jim Bob's. I think once the TLC money runs out Josh's desire to fill his quiver will drop.

I hope they can afford to purchase a larger home. Their little 2 bedroom is already bursting at the seams. Plus, it's Grandma Duggar's old house.

I hope they can afford to purchase a larger home. Their little 2 bedroom is already bursting at the seams. Plus, it's Grandma Duggar's old house.

As I recall, Jim Bob and Michelle had 14 kids shoved into a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house. Josh and Anna have plenty of room!

Archived