IGNORED

Corrupt TX AG Ken Paxton Impeachment Trial

Howl

Hoo boy howdy, things are heating up for impeached Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton.  His attorneys claimed there wasn't enough evidence to impeach him and the TX Senate responded by dropping 4,000 pages of incriminating documents.  

Since the tranche of documents was dropped, interested parties have been going over it in granular detail.  Paxton's evidence of corruption is overwhelming. I truly don't understand why he doesn't resign.  His impeachment trial in the Texas state house begins Sept. 5th. 

As it turns out, Paxton and his remaining supporters are mounting a social media campaign among Gen Z.  Brad Parscale has raised himself from the dead, moved to Texas, and seems involved in this.  Gen Z influencers, quietly recruited by a company with deep GOP ties, rally to impeached Ken Paxton’s aid

After a June gathering in Fort Worth sponsored by a new company, Influenceable, social media leaders began backing the suspended Texas attorney general and a controversial human trafficking film. Those who favor transparency in political advocacy are concerned.

My opinion is that anyone who names a company with the ungainly name of Influenceable isn't going to get you what you need but what do I know. 

There is also a conspiracy theory being promoted that claims a secret Democratic cabal controls the Texas State House!  And sure enough, when I was deep into the excellent coverage of Ken Paxton and the impeachment on Twitter, a "documentary" popped up claiming this very thing.  

The moral failing of a supposedly conservative Christian man with a mistress captures one's attention.  It's complicated though, because the mistress is tangled up with Paxton's relationship with (failing) real estate magnate Nate Paul and Paxton's attempts to protect and shield Paul from his own legal troubles.  This became so blatant and alarming to Paxton's staff that they finally blew the whistle.  

Paxton has a few other issues simmering. The oldest is his 2015  indictment on  felony securities fraud  This has not yet gone to trial.  Paxton was also active in trying to overturn the 2020 election, so sedition. 

In May 2022, the State Bar of Texas sued Paxton, arguing that he engaged in professional misconduct by making dishonest claims when he told the Supreme Court that Texas had uncovered proof of substantial voter fraud in the four states. Paxton’s bid to toss out the lawsuit is awaiting action by the Dallas-based 5th Court of Appeals."

Excerpted from a May 2023 Texas Tribune article that summarizes Paxton's legal issues: What to know about Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s long-running scandals and legal battles

Less than a year into his first term, Paxton was charged with felony securities fraud. The Justice Department is investigating bribery allegations against him as a Texas House committee conducts its own probe into his behavior.

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 10

19 minutes ago, Howl said:

In May 2022, the State Bar of Texas sued Paxton, arguing that he engaged in professional misconduct by making dishonest claims when he told the Supreme Court that Texas had uncovered proof of substantial voter fraud in the four states. Paxton’s bid to toss out the lawsuit is awaiting action by the Dallas-based 5th Court of Appeals."

I sometimes forget there are (so many!) other thoroughly corrupt scoundrels out there, so thanks for the updated information on Paxton.  I’m hoping he loses his license, if he hasn’t already.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I sometimes forget there are (so many!) other thoroughly corrupt scoundrels out there, so thanks for the updated information on Paxton.  I’m hoping he loses his license, if he hasn’t already.  

Oooh, me too! 

It's becoming apparent that Paxton is a profoundly corrupt human with zero moral compass.  His own staff kept warning him that Nate Paul was a "crook" and Paxton just dug himself into a deeper hole.  Going back to the securities fraud indictment.  He's a lawyer, he KNEW what he was doing was wrong. 

His wife Angela, in her capacity as a Texas state senator, tried to introduce legislation that would have decriminalized Paxton's specific securities fraud charge.  It didn't go anywhere, but not for lack of trying.  Maybe she is as corrupt as he is. I think that Paxton's impeachment trial will dim her political prospects, but hard to say in today's political climate.   As in, "He/She may be corrupt, but at least they aren't a Democrat."

I'd highly recommend the Texas Tribune coverage of all things Paxton at TexasTribune.org. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

They continue as employees of [the AG's] Office while working for a private law firm that is representing Paxton.  

Someone released leaked a list of witnesses to @DallasNews and they published it.  No surprises, really, except Paxton's mistress has been identified and is on the list. 

Dick DeGuerin and Rusty Hardin are the lead prosecutors for the state House.  These guys are both heavy hitting legendary defense lawyers with decades of experience; no sane person would want to be questioned on the stand by either of these legal titans. 

Trial begins on Tuesday.  Paxton has not resigned and is legally required to attend the trial if he does not resign.  The trial will take place even if Paxton does resign. 

• Thank You 6

Holy guacamole with a side of frijoles!  Don't know how I missed this Texas Tribune article from August 29! 

I don't need to watch the trial now since this article lays out the entire case.  Daaaaaayum.  Nate Paul used Ken Paxton to harass his enemies, Ken Paxton used Nate Paul to facilitate interactions with his mistress.  The second aspect isn't discussed in this article, but the first part is. 

“Operation Deep Sea”: How Nate Paul pulled the strings in the attorney general’s office to investigate his enemies    Paul personally chose targets and drafted language for subpoenas issued by Brandon Cammack, an outside lawyer hired by Attorney General Ken Paxton. Paxton hired Cammack to investigate his friend’s complaints after his own deputies advised him against it.

Brandon Cammack was a month into shenanigans (issuing fake subpoenas) at Nate Paul's behest before Paxton's staff found out about it. 

<snip>

"If the recipients complied with the orders [in the subpoenas], [Nate] Paul would have gained access to private records of those investigating his criminal case, the charity he was fighting in a lawsuit and businessmen who had purchased loans his companies had defaulted on."

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Aaaaaaaannnnd we're off!  Paxton's impeachment trial is officially official in that TX senators voted to reject requests to dismiss Paxton's charges.  Twelve Republicans joined all Senate Democrats in the vote to essentially move forward with a trial.

Here are the numbers: 

TX  Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has told legislators that the trial could last until Sept. 28th. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 6

Tweet in response to several Paxton humpers whinging and whining introduced a Texas-ism that's new to me:  "Paxton pissed in his own chili."

• Thank You 7

I've been watching bits of the impeachment -- it's being streamed on the Texas Senate website and others are covering it as well.

This morning, good grief.  The defense's strategy is to constantly, relentlessly and obnoxiously  interrupt prosecuting attorney Erin Epley with a stream of  objections while she was questioning witness Kinghorn, and trying to develop certain lines of testimony. 

Dan Patrick (TX Lt. Gov. and judge in this trial) is not an attorney, has no legal background, and seemingly randomly overrules and sometimes sustains the objections.  Patrick has an actual legal eagle sitting at his left hand that he can consult, but she seems completely passive.  Maybe she can offer legal advice only if Patrick asks. 

I think it's 50-50 with Paxton on impeachment.  It's obvious that Patrick is biased in Paxton's favor. However,  Republicans brought the articles of impeachment. I don't think they would do that unless they thought they could force Paxton out.  

• Thank You 6

Final statements yesterday; senators have been deliberating into the night last night and resumed today. There are 16 charges, they need only find him guilty of one to send his lying cheating criminal ass into political oblivion.

If he's out, they will take a separate vote on whether he can ever run for political office. 

If Paxton is out, Greg Abbott will appoint his replacement. When that is announced, white smoke may or may not come out of the capitol building. 

Whoever it is, it will be someone very electable in 2026, the next TX AG election. 

I'm back to thinking that it's back to 50-50 whether Paxton hangs on.  I hope it's slowly sinking in that it's not a good look to retain a corrupt AG, but this is Texas after all. 

Here's a snip from an interesting 2016 article (Ft. Worth Telegram) on  Paxton using the press.  I wonder if he began showing up at his office in Austin when his affair began:  "...He appears to be a politician more interested in having the title of attorney general than being attorney general. He has used his office as a cudgel in the culture wars for the Christian right. He’s continued to live in McKinney, about thirty miles north of Dallas, rather than move to Austin for the daily duties of running his office. As a result of his absence from the office, he’s grown jealous of aides, who have received the positive media attention that has eluded him, a feeling that apparently intensified after he was indicted. In March, he got rid of his top staffers, replacing them with religious-right activists, and hired two public relations firms that specialize in crisis management. Suddenly, the once-reclusive Paxton was often popping up on television and at press conferences, discussing lawsuits and events—like the Dallas sniper case—with which he had little direct involvement. With his own criminal trial now approaching*, publicity, it seems, has become Paxton’s affirmation."

*this references the trial for felony securities fraud, WHICH STILL HASN'T TAKEN PLACE. However, it does seem more likely that the trial may happen this year. 

I think Paxton may also face federal charges for his activities and lawsuits challenging the legitimacy of the 2020 election.  The Texas Tribune:  "...After the presidential election, Paxton asked the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Democrat Joe Biden’s electoral victories in four swing states. The court tossed out Paxton’s petition four days later.

Paxton is a corrupt, MAGA-oriented piece of work and so reich wing he could be very dangerous. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 6

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

this references the trial for felony securities fraud, WHICH STILL HASN'T TAKEN PLACE. However, it does seem more likely that the trial may happen this year

So, he has at least a couple more lawsuits to get through, including the state bar complaint?  Surely he’s a goner, even in Texas?  

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

So, he has at least a couple more lawsuits to get through, including the state bar complaint?  Surely he’s a goner, even in Texas?

It might depend on the today's result.  But he could lose his law license/be sanctioned AND STILL BE THE TEXAS AG! This is Texas, after all.

Meanwhile, the Senators are praying for...whatever politicians pray for.  I'm on pins and needles.  Paxton did attend the first morning of the trial.  After that he's been MIA, although Angela Paxton has sat through the entire sordid mess.  This includes Paxton's official mistress, Laura Olson, saying she'd take the 5th for everything, so was excused. Ms Olson click-clacked out of the Senate Chambers on stiletos, in a form fitting sleevelss white dress (after Labor Day, no less) with a $3,000 Balenciaga handbag, and back to her luxury apartment. I thought the whole thing was a big "f**k you" to Angela Paxton. 

If Paxton is found guilty and the Senate votes to bar him from running for any future office, I expect Ken to divorce Angela and go full steam ahead with Olson. 

Interestingly, she's been married four times. 

Live stream here: https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&event_id=4822

• Thank You 6

So far, he's acquitted on the first 4 or 5 allegations. Not looking good.  The last two are 16-14 to acquit, along party lines. 

There needs to be a two thirds vote to convict on any one allegation.  The ones so far seemed pretty cut and dried evidence of Paxton's corruption and Repubs still voted not to convict. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 6

Well, it's all over.  A criminally corrupt, morally compromised AG will continue on in office. 

Not a good look for Texas Republicans, but they could give a s**t; it's business as usual. 

Trump tweeted in support of Paxton a few days ago.  I suspect that any Republican who was wavering towards conviction put his spine and balls in a sack and threw them into the Colorado River when they saw Trump's tweet. 

Paxton may be finally tried this year on his felony security charges (pending since at least 2016), but who knows. 

As for the whistle blowers who lost their jobs?  Don't feel bad for them.  They are all reich-wing Christian activist FedSoc boot lickers and were given their jobs (in 2016?)  when Paxton purged his top aides who weren't sufficiently Christian conservative right wingers. 

I think one important thing about the failed impeachment is it brought out what a petty, vindictive garbage person Paxton is at his very core.  Will he continue his affair with Laura Olson? Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. 

TX Sen. Angela Paxton will probably won't divorce his sorry ass, but damn, sitting through that entire impeachment and the public humiliation of Paxton's lover showing up during the trial.  There is a sad photo of her looking down and contemplating her wedding ring. However, in terms of political policy orientation, she's as bad as her husband so pffft. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

I would like to say that I'm shocked but sadly I'm not. To a republican, the only conceivable crime is to be a democrat. Nothing else is a crime to them.

• Upvote 7

• 6 months later...

Any time Paxton loses, it’s good news:

• Upvote 4