IGNORED

Maxwell 53: Escaping the Borg by Marriage. Who'd Have Thought Sarah?

Coconut Flan

Cilantro and coriander fan here. 🙋🏽‍♀️

Even so, I totally get why people don't like it.

I'll pass on 🥓 bacon, the way it smells when it's being cooked, I just can't. 🤢🤮

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Penzey's. A hometown product. We love them! My cabinet is nothing but Penzey's. Their headquarters are in my backyard - at one time, for 8 years, I worked right down the street from them & you can bet I paid them frequent visits. I LOVE their Sunny Paris & Fox Point blends.  

YES their different blends are really interesting and fun to try.  I subscribed to them so get their emails and sale notices.  (The owners have gotten a little political in recent years and ill bet it has turned some right wingers off and  negatively affected their  sales  but they are staying true to their convictions.)

My guess is that Sarah will get married in Kansas, maybe only have 2 younger sisters - ABC doesn't start classes until  after the wedding date - and a friend or 2 as bridesmaids, and reception will only provide cake and sweets for the guests with, sadly, no sit down yummy meal. (Hope I'm wrong about the meal thing)

Edited by Hellothere
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

'll pass on 🥓 bacon, the way it smells when it's being cooked, I just can't. 🤢🤮

I adore the smell of bacon, coffee, basil and cinnamon.  And lavender or citrus scented bath products.

I'll bet within a month or 2 of meeting each other Sarah and Kory thought "OK, this is the one" and were anxious to set a date, get married and start living together (wonder if they've been house shopping and have already purchased one?).  If she met him while still living at home, perhaps the move to her own apartment and buying a car was a way to date him without being under the strict supervision of Steve? If she started attending Kory's church she quickly learned that one can be pious, joyful and live a life with Christian values without having to spend  the majority of your daily free time praying, doing family Bible study and having am & pm personal Bible time! She conveniently picked a wedding date that is about a week before ABC classes start so that Anna and Mary could easily be there.  

• Upvote 6

Nothing more on the Maxwells? I love me some cilantro, but come on folks--SARAH is getting married! We should still be hyperventilating and discussing it! LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Cilantro and coriander fan here. 🙋🏽‍♀️

Even so, I totally get why people don't like it.

I'll pass on 🥓 bacon, the way it smells when it's being cooked, I just can't. 🤢🤮

Funny story about bacon smell. I’ve always hated the smell of bacon cooking. I also don’t like the taste. But the smell is by far the worst part. In college I lived in a two story house with 3 other girls. I had a roommate who loved bacon. She also loved to eat when she got home from the bar at 2:30am. I was asleep upstairs with my bedroom door shut. Guess what woke me up. Yep! The smell of bacon must’ve creeped under my door and the stink woke me up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Nothing more on the Maxwells? I love me some cilantro, but come on folks--SARAH is getting married! We should still be hyperventilating and discussing it! LOL

I can't find anything good.  Abby volunteers in the church nursery.  Anna Marie volunteers in the infant nursery at church.  Sarah is getting married in Kansas according to theknot website.  That's all I've got.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I recommend reading this thread and the last thread and catching up. I was so happy for Sarah when she moved out. It's really good for her that she's had a little time to move out and live on her own. I hope she will be able to have an equal say in the relationship, because she was raised to let her headship make all her decisions. 

• Upvote 4

I feel like we actually know a lot about how things have been going with the Maxwells thanks to other social media. The ABC fb page, Sarah and Cory’s church, Chelsy’s blog, and a registry have told us a lot. Probably more than Steve would have allowed on the blog. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Funny story about bacon smell. I’ve always hated the smell of bacon cooking. I also don’t like the taste. But the smell is by far the worst part. In college I lived in a two story house with 3 other girls. I had a roommate who loved bacon. She also loved to eat when she got home from the bar at 2:30am. I was asleep upstairs with my bedroom door shut. Guess what woke me up. Yep! The smell of bacon must’ve creeped under my door and the stink woke me up. 

Last week I put a crockpot full of psole to cook in the garage so the smell wouldn't wake me up.

• Upvote 2

I used to have a lovely neighbour who would cross the road when he walked past my open window, as I was always making coffee, and he just couldnt stand the smell. I love cigarette smoke when fresh, but absolutely loathe pot smell. It triggers migraines and makes me throw up. As does cider, which smell likes vomit to me.

as for mosquitoes, they only ever bite me when my partner is away, and they don’t bother me. They absolutely love him, and he has terrible reactions to them. I joke that they hate my blood because I eat so much marmite, and he hates the stuff. We both love cilantro and hot spicy stuff, and he loves bacon. I despise the smell, but fortunately Germans don’t really do bacon, so it is only rarely that I have to smell it. I swear it stinks the place out for days, even with my constant coffee making. He doesn’t like coffee much, but luckily he loves the smell. Not sure we could live together if he didn’t, I practically live off the stuff. Which is why it is nearly five am here, and I am still up, lol.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Penzey's. A hometown product. We love them! My cabinet is nothing but Penzey's. Their headquarters are in my backyard - at one time, for 8 years, I worked right down the street from them & you can bet I paid them frequent visits. I LOVE their Sunny Paris & Fox Point blends. 

10/10 recommend. 

Every time I drive down I94 on the way back to Chicago from Wausau I wave at Penzey's. They have a store not far from me in Torrance, CA and I love to go in there. I like their ground shallots. I just used the Northwood seasoning this weekend, but will have to get some Fox Point too. I got 2 boxes of spices for Christmas. Justice is awesome too!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thanks for sharing your bacon story.😉🤭

• Haha 2

anniebgood, how do you use the ground shallots? And what are your favorite ways to use Justice (i received a jar  and haven't used it much)?

Edited by Hellothere

1 hour ago, Zebedee said:

I used to have a lovely neighbour who would cross the road when he walked past my open window, as I was always making coffee, and he just couldnt stand the smell. I love cigarette smoke when fresh, but absolutely loathe pot smell. It triggers migraines and makes me throw up. As does cider, which smell likes vomit to me.

as for mosquitoes, they only ever bite me when my partner is away, and they don’t bother me. They absolutely love him, and he has terrible reactions to them. I joke that they hate my blood because I eat so much marmite, and he hates the stuff. We both love cilantro and hot spicy stuff, and he loves bacon. I despise the smell, but fortunately Germans don’t really do bacon, so it is only rarely that I have to smell it. I swear it stinks the place out for days, even with my constant coffee making. He doesn’t like coffee much, but luckily he loves the smell. Not sure we could live together if he didn’t, I practically live off the stuff. Which is why it is nearly five am here, and I am still up, lol.

Lol, actually add coffee to the list of smells and tastes that are a NO on my list. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤢

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I expect Steve did, if he even saw the photo.

Yes. The thread drifts are wonderful and eventually they always return to the original snark.

Coffee never had the slightest effect on my until I was diagnosed ADHD and prescribed a stimulant. WHOA! That second cup of coffee had me seriously buzzed. I guess for me the caffeine was just an over the counter drug for the ADHD.

Caffeine is the only drug that has ever cured my brain fog. The campus store usually sold these caffeinated chocolate bars around finals so I'd buy a few bags and eat them throughout my many all-nighters. I have never felt the slightest bit jittery on caffeine, in fact it calms me down and allows me to focus. I definitely wouldn't have gotten those papers done, let alone get good grades on them without that chocolate. 

10 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I do too - have you tried the little suction tool you can get from Amazon? They’re 9.99 and suck out the venom, makes a huuuuge difference

I have never heard of such a tool. Do you have a link? I live near a swamp so you can imagine how bad the mosquitoes are in summer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Caffeine is the only drug that has ever cured my brain fog. The campus store usually sold these caffeinated chocolate bars around finals so I'd buy a few bags and eat them throughout my many all-nighters. I have never felt the slightest bit jittery on caffeine, in fact it calms me down and allows me to focus. I definitely wouldn't have gotten those papers done, let alone get good grades on them without that chocolate. 

I have never heard of such a tool. Do you have a link? I live near a swamp so you can imagine how bad the mosquitoes are in summer. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Bite-Thing-Suction-Remover/dp/B01576DWQU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=6T0JTQ34XICJ&keywords=mosquito+bite+sucker&qid=1658404729&sprefix=mosquito+bite+%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-3

At least it’s cheap. So if it doesn’t work then it’s not a huge waste of money. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I read somewhere that mosquitoes go for people who have recently eaten bananas. Thought it was probably crazy but as I was tired of being the local bug-magnet that I would try it. Personal anacdata of one says it works for me. If I eat bananas in summer I get attacked and if I don’t I am completely ignored.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

I read somewhere that mosquitoes go for people who have recently eaten bananas. Thought it was probably crazy but as I was tired of being the local bug-magnet that I would try it. Personal anacdata of one says it works for me. If I eat bananas in summer I get attacked and if I don’t I am completely ignored.

I haven't eaten a banana in years. Must be my magnetic personality. 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Mosquitos have never bothered me until about the past ten years. (I have never been a banana eater).  Before that, I don't honestly know if I ever had a mosquito bite. I have no idea why but have one possible theory. I've had eczema all my life so I've never used soap or regular shampoos. Always unscented and mainly oat meal based. I used Dreft baby laundry detergent. 

About 10-12 years ago my skin changed drastically, in that it reacted far less to irritants. So, I started trial & error with regular shampoos & conditioners & Dove Sensitive skin soap and I use sensitive skin laundry detergent. The timing of that change is about the same as mosquitos starting to notice me. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

@WannabeHistorian I definitely recommend getting the 3-pack so you have one for home, one for the car, one for your purse, or whatever, because getting the venom out quickly after a bite is key, and it's best if you can get it sucked before you start scratching and spreading the histamine around. You don't want to get bit in the grocery store parking lot and then have to wait until you get home and get the groceries unloaded before you can go get your sucker, because you'll probably have itched and scratched by then.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I don’t have ADHD but everyone I know with ADHD has no reaction to caffeine or it has a calming effect. They can drink an espresso at 10 and go to bed at 11 no problem. I used to be really sensitive to caffeine but the more I drink the less effect it has, alas.

I am covered in mosquito bites which I must have gotten last week at the pool but I don’t remember getting bit or even seeing any, which is odd. After having bedbugs, however, I positively joyous that they are mosquito bites because the other kind is so much worse. I know when I see that quarter -size swelling and itching that it’s a mosquito, and I am SO thankful for them. And not to compare Steve to bedbugs, but I think Sarah might overlook any flaws that Kory has in the same way : she knows that marriage might be difficult but it’s loads better than living at home and being alone.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, WannabeHistorian said:

I have since moved somewhere that doesn’t really have mosquitoes. Had 1 in my bedroom last year and I swear it took my partner and me 15 minutes to figure out what the noise was 😂 
Now we live in sandfly (black fly) territory. Luckily our house is far enough from water that there usually aren’t any in the house because I react to those suckers for a week!

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hane said:

@Paperplate, major props for making and decorating your own wedding cake! Because I hadn’t yet learned how to decorate cakes, I baked the layers for a few big celebration cakes (my parents’ 35th anniversary, my second wedding, and the Catholic celebration that followed it several months later).

I only got into the major cake making gig when my baby sister got engaged. She asked me to make her wedding cake because she “didn’t want one of those stale ones from a bakery” (this was back in 1991, when small local bakeries often only baked big cake layers once a week). When I said, “But I don’t know how to decorate cakes!” she replied, “You could take a class.” So I did, every Wednesday night for weeks, on top of my 9 to 5 and teaching English on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And I made her bridal shower cake and my daughter’s junior bridesmaid dress. The things we do for those we love!

I gotta admit: I baked the Maxhellion poppyseed bread and it was really quite good! 

You know I am still baking bread every week and getting better each time now because of YOU!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

When I was pregnant they loved me. I read that they love pregnant people because of all that extra blood 🫤

I used to get bitten by mosquitoes quite a lot, but haven’t been bitten for a while.

Shit, I’ve probably cursed myself. Maybe tomorrow morning I will wake up with several bites, like the mozzies were going “you thought we’d forgotten about you? HA HA.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic