IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

Free Breakdown of the new Seriously Dads. Huh? I thought the title was Seriously Steve. Did he change it? Anyway this one is called "Fearful or Bold." It's a big improvement on last week and I really like one thing he says. 

Many believers have recently been focused on the events prior to and including Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection. Then attention typically turns to the disciples, hiding in fear for their lives. Their hopes and dreams of reigning with Jesus were likely exchanged for mental images of being crucified themselves.

Yes generally after the story of the crucifixion, the attention does shift to disciples for a while. Yes in the beginning, they feared for their lives. 

And Thank You Steve for saying:

Have you ever imagined yourself in that position? What a blessing that most of us have not experienced persecution for our faith. 

A huge thanks to Steve for this! I'm so happy to hear this. It's one of the most reasonable things he's ever said. I'm so tired of hearing fundies whine about being perscuted: from Marlin Bontrager to Jill Rodrigues to Bro Gary, etc.  Nobody cares about your faith; we mostly just want you to leave the rest of us alone and treat others well. 

I wonder how many of you are fearful to share your faith. Are you actively sharing your faith? “… as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you” (John 20:21). The question isn’t how many you have led to Christ, but are you sowing seeds? If we truly love the Lord Jesus and others, may we not miss any opportunity.

I admit to being somewhat insecure about sharing my faith, because sometimes I have trouble explaining what I believe.

On the other hand, usually I don't share my faith not out of fear, but out of  neighborly tact. I don't it's right to talk about faith with people who don't wish to discuss it.  I had at least one facebook friend share this quote about religion being like someone's dick.  

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31).

Yes love thy neighbor by respecting their religious views as they respect your religious views. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Don't talk to them about Jesus and they won't talk to you about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 

Also loving your neighbor means wearing a facemask to slow the rate of transmission of a deadly disease. That's for all the non-social distancing fundies out there. 

(To be continued.)

Argh. Most of your "To Be Continued" posts aren't actually continued in the next post. Maybe a vague carrying over of the same themes. Just end it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

It was Dad’s Corner first, then it changed to Seriously Dads. I don’t think it’s ever been Seriously Steve. Although I guess that’s what we say every time we read one of those posts...

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Another Free Breakdown of a new Seriously Dad column: Loving Whom or What.

This is indeed a continuation of part 1 above.

Fear is often the reason why people don’t share Christ (I’ve had first hand experience.)

I see reluctance to share Christ as kindness, tact and respect. 

Also I'm surprised Steve admits to being afraid.

However, the compelling, overcoming force in our sharing are the greatest commandments which are to love our God and neighbor (Mark 12:30-31).  Our relationship and love drives us to obey our Savior. 

Again I see loving your neighbor as a reason not to share your faith. I interpret "loving your neighbor" as respecting those who don't share my religious beliefs.

This is so important that in each of the four gospels we are commanded to tell others. 

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19). 

“Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15). 

“And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem” (Luke 24:47). 

“Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you” (John 20:21). 

In the blog article, the four quotes are numbered, but when I copied and pasted them the numbers disappeared. 

The "John quote" is less specific than the other ones.  I think plenty of clergy manage to share and live their faith without pestering random people.

If we haven’t been sent elsewhere, we are to go to those in the locality we are living. The “why” is terribly important. It is because we love the One Who died for us, AND we love our neighbor

Ah, how Steve and Teri justify their harassing of the bag boys  and also keeping their whole family in a very small area of the world. It used to be within a one-mile radius.

If you are lacking love, likely that is a problem of either not saved, or love of self, and/or love of the world. That means something is broken. 

That first sentence could have been much more clear.

If lacking love, that could a problem of growing up in abusive home, an isolated lifestyle, etc. If you mean lacking love of Jesus, then maybe it's not what they want. Loving Jesus is a choice and loving your neighbor means respecting them and their lifestyle choices.

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 John 2:15). 

Of course this is how he ends it. 

Hey Steve, have you heard of Preachers and Sneakers?

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I could not sell a bottle of water to a thirsty man.

So my witnessing to others has to be in my attitude, my activities, my overtures and responses to people and situations.  Hopefully, others will ask how I can be so kind, calm, giving and hopeful, and I can say "I believe in the promises of Christianity."  

----------------------

Steve Maxwell, this story is for you:

My religion teacher and his wife had absolutely no physical contact until they were pronounced wife and husband.  They have gone on to have 9 children and they lead kosher lives.  My teacher is online at least 10 times a week delivering teachings in a very prepared, scholarly manner.  He tries to be sure that he's answered any questions from us, made things clear.

That said: Recently he talked about how the pandemic caused the rabbis to re-approach some of the laws of Sabbath.  The discussion moved into areas of emergency health care and becoming physicians, and how the decision to practice medicine is something of a holy call.

With me so far? Okay, think of Christopher and your strong advice not to pursue paramedic studies because he might have to see naked ladies.

The rabbi quoted a portion of the Talmud in which the sages say: "If you are called to a life of medicine and you ignore the call because of selfish reasons, you are a terrible sinner."

A terrible sinner, Steve.

Apparently your Little Steve was pretty excitable, back in the day, and you might even have touched a woman or two to whom you weren't married.  Pushing your neurotic reactions onto your son to make him abandon a career spent helping others? That makes you a terrible sinner, Steve.

I'm just the messenger, friend.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Free Breakdown of the Seriously, Dad? Column!

Who Are You Praying For?

Well, since you asked Steve one of my friends is very sick and needs surgery. And George Floyd's family.

Our natural tendency is pray for our needs, but what about praying for those headed for hell?

Sure Steve, we'll pray for you. :GPn0zNK:

(That joke was too obvious, but needed to be made.)

May we search our hearts as to how concerned we are for our lost neighbors, relatives, workmates, and acquaintances. 

My guess is that fundies, like you, are not very concerned about the "lost". 

The Pope says God will decide who gets in and religion won't be the deciding factor. On the other hand, there was article in Catholic newsletter about grandparents so frantic to get their grandchildren baptized, they were thinking of baptizing the grandkids in the kitchen sink against the parents' wishes.

God didn’t save us so we can have “fire insurance,” but He saved us to bring Him glory and reach the lost.

fire insurance, he he he. ?  

As I've said before, we have different ideas about gives God glory. Notice he says "reach the lost", not help the lost. Is reaching them helping them? Steve would say yes, but I disagree. You can stand in front of someone in need, and not help them.

“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened” (Matthew 7:7-8).

So I looked up the verses. Chapter 7 starts with "Do Not Judge' Steve. It's the bit about the plank in your own eye. You want to reach lost souls; send the girls to singles mixer once the pandemic is over.

I have a wonderful way to pray for the lost by using a “prayer board.” This is a “whiteboard” where I list people to pray for daily. I use a fine-tipped, dry erase marker and have different areas on my board for family, believers, and then the lost. Even though the whiteboard is fairly large (15 x 24 inches) by writing small, I can list many on it. It is in my office in a place where no one else sees it.

WTF? He has a large white board with lists of people to pray for! What's wrong with a notebook?

There are about 7 billion and you're only praying for the amount of people who fit on a white board, even fairly large one.  Maybe Steve covers large groups of people like the state of California, China, etc.

I have a feeling no sees it, because you are afraid people wouldn't like it and would be offended. 

I am outgrowing my current prayer board, but the Lord provided my next one. One morning while Teri and I were walking, I noticed a large picture out for the trash. I carried it home. When I need it, I will remove the back and existing print, and spray paint one side of the glass white. Then it is ready to go.

Uh, Glad the Lord provided, Steve.

I have no problem with Steve taking things left out for the trash. (I have friends who do that.)

It's what you're doing with the white board. Just pray for the whole world, Steve. Sing it with me:

"He's got the whole world in his hands,
he's got the whole world in his hands,...."

In fact there's another verse to that song:

"He's got everybody in his hands,
He's got everybody in his hands,..."

See Steve, no need for a white board. Do something fun with it. Challenge the grandkids to a Tic-Tac-Toe tournament. Have the girls brainstorm some goals for themselves. Draw flowers for Teri with her favorite bible verse (Teri seems to genuinely enjoy the bible.)

May we be found faithful. 

This seems like an odd line to end it on. It seems to have some doubt to it. I guess he doubts us, but it's written in first person plural like he has doubts about himself. 

• Upvote 8

Bet you dollars to donuts that most of the people on Steve's whiteboard  naughty list are from his church.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I am not lost. I know exactly where I am and my place in the world. I also know I am worm food upon death. 

I despise fundie/kristchen thought that people who don't believe in their god or participate in their religion are "lost". It's an ego trip for them. It makes them feel special; as though they are right and the world is wrong so now they can sleep at night and live with themselves and their choices.

Get a better source of self confidence than writing the names of people on a white board and talking to your imaginary friend about them. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

I admit I'd like to get a glimpse of the "lost" section of Steve's "prayer board" and see if Free Jinger is on it. ?

I agree, I hate when fundies decide who is "lost" and who is not.  How do they, or any of us, know what's truly in a person's mind and heart?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

I get the Seriously Dad? columns from the Maxwell family website. They didn't post a new Seriously Dad? this week. Either Steve didn't do one this week or it's too crazy so they're hiding for next week. I think they've tried to hide his crazier columns by delaying their releases on the website for a week. We'll see if there are two new ones this week.

• Thank You 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, kpmom said:

I admit I'd like to get a glimpse of the "lost" section of Steve's "prayer board" and see if Free Jinger is on it. ?

I agree, I hate when fundies decide who is "lost" and who is not.  How do they, or any of us, know what's truly in a person's mind and heart?

My fundy-lite mom used to say no one knows what's in a person's heart but God, so it's a sin to sit in judgement of others.  She also used to say the best way to "witness' to others is to just live your life spreading Christ's love in how you care for others without mentioning religion and respecting the beliefs of others.  That it's fine to discuss your beliefs if asked, but pushing it on people will just drive them further away from God.

She volunteered a lot (in her capacity as a nurse and other stuff) and felt that the people benefited from the donations, food, health care through Christ's love without having to mention him.  I have a headache so words are hard right now, but basically her firm belief was that God wanted us to make the world a better place and alleviate suffering for others without annoying people with Jesus PR.  (Although she would have phrased it with 100% less snark.)

And she lived that shit.  When her fundy-lite church members were harassing us about salvation when she was dying she told them to knock it off and leave us alone....God knows our hearts and to leave it to him.

I have a ton of mommy issues, but I don't think she and Steve went to the same school of biblical interpretation.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 17

So apparently there was no Seriously Dad? last week. I'm surprised, but that's fine.  

Free breakdown of this week's Seriously Dad? It's dated May 5, 2021 and boy, @SPHASH is right. It's buzzkill.

Most who live in the midwest know what a tornado siren sounds like, and anyone who loves his life will head for shelter when he hears the siren.

Yes it's good to take shelter when a potentially dangerous and deadly storm is coming. 

If he doesn’t, his blood is upon his own hands. 

Okay we went from neutral to bats**t judgmental in less time at all. A friend of  a friend lived in Oklahoma in new development where the storm shelter hadn't been built yet. She sheltered with her sister. 

And what happens if the siren and tornado are too close together?

Yes I have lived where there are storms and generally you should evacuate if they say to evacuate and you have time to evacuate. However this seems overly harsh especially if there's no time.

The person in each county whose job it is to turn the siren on is like the “watchman” of Ezekiel. His job was to warn the people by blowing the trumpet when an enemy was coming to attack. If the watchman didn’t sound the alarm when danger was coming, the responsibility for the shedding of others’ blood was upon him. 

Yes I think it is important the person whose job is to sound the alarm sounds the alarm. Hopefully there is more than one person on it in case that person gets sick. 

When Jesus returned to the Father, He gave the command to go and make disciples. We are like the watchman of old.

We are the watchmen? Pretty sure Jesus wanted us to help people, not just watch them.

There is a superhero movie called Watchmen, is that what Steve is talking about?

There is a coming wrath,

It's called climate change and it's man-made.

and it is our responsibility to go and share that they must repent, believe on Jesus for the remission of sins, and follow Him. 

This will not solve climate change.  

Also this is as negative as it gets to try bring people Jesus.  When I remember Jesus, I remember his feeding people (loaves and fishes), in the breaking of the bread, and all his miracles. And trying to shame people into belief will only work on those inclined to believe anyway.

(Matthew 16:24, 28:19, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:47, John 20:21) May we have clean hands and be found faithful. 

So basically all of the bible verses are about Jesus sending out the disciples to teach the world. We knew that and probably most of your readers did too. Maybe he got push back on not being sympathetic to others' beliefs. 

As to clean hands, people used a lot more hand sanitizer in the last year, so yeah hands are probably clean. 

He's constantly worried about 'being found faithful".  He ended the last column on being found faithful.  Is this a new catchphrase?

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel” (Mark 1:15).

Great! Steve is predicting the end of the world. Way to the end on a high note.

Also the context of this line is weird, although many of the contexts are weird. Jesus is saying this after his cousin John the Baptist was arrested.  Josh Duggar is not the John the Baptist, and I think Jesus might be offended if you're linking them.

I hate to bring up the Duggars, but Steve is clearly in a glum mood. He must be a real joy to live with right now. 

• Upvote 8

I wonder why they’re KJV-only. They’re not ATI or IFB from what I understand, and the fundies I’ve known like this (not ATI, IFB, or one of the weird cult groups like Branhamites) all used a newer translation. The whole KJV-only crap can be so easily discredited, I’d have thought Steve’s engineer brain would be capable of seeing it.

Im probably giving him too much credit.

• Upvote 6

I don't think KJV is limited to those specific sects. I was raised in a non fundie evangelical church and we were KJV only. 

• Thank You 3

I thought the Maxwells were IFB, though.  IFB is not a denomination*; they are fundamentalist Baptist churches that do not belong to the Southern Baptist Convention, the Missionary Baptist Church, Primitive Baptist,  or any other organized Baptist group with an overarching leader (eg, President of the SBC.)   IFB churches may have connections with other IFB churches though.  *When I write this down, IFB churches do sound pretty damn denominational, don't they?

• Upvote 7

I have a wonderful way to pray for the lost by using a “prayer board.” This is a “whiteboard” where I list people to pray for daily.

I have a wonderful Buddhist prayer for ya, Steve! Just erase that white board and write this: 

May all sentient beings, without one exception, know happiness and the causes of happiness.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 11

@MamaJunebug: It's not easy!

Choose the emoji icon, then, in the search box, type a colon,  which will take you to all the cool emojis. You can either start scrolling down or continue typing this, without the spaces, which are necessary to keep it from turning into the emoji   G P n 0 z N K :

::GPn0zNK: 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:44 PM, Black Aliss said:

@MamaJunebug: It's not easy!

Choose the emoji icon, then, in the search box, type a colon,  which will take you to all the cool emojis. You can either start scrolling down or continue typing this, without the spaces, which are necessary to keep it from turning into the emoji   G P n 0 z N K :

To quote the great one: “Happiness is made up of little things: a small yacht, a small mansion, a small fortune” — and the key to the Groucho emoji!!!! Thank you SO much, @Black Aliss!!!!

yessssssss! 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Love 7

Today's Seriously Dad? is called "Fishing in the Boat" and it's from May 12, 2021.

Assume you have a friend who liked to fish, and you knew of a place where the fish would actually jump in the boat. No doubt, he would want to go fishing there because the easiest place of all to fish is “in the boat.” 

I don't fish, but I don't think you would be fishing in the boat if the fish jump into your boat. You're still fishing in whatever body of water the boat is in. 

Most of us have a similar opportunity every week. 

No we don't, because I don't fish and no one ever invites me fishing. It would be a better segue if you said brought up how Jesus called the disciples "fishers of men" since this is where you're going with this.

Next Sunday when you go to church go “fishing.” First, double check your “gear.” Your motive is love for your neighbor and obedience to the Lord.

Steve, I would double check your 'gear'. Your motive should be finding people whose company you would enjoy.  Or maybe as motive, people who look like they would benefit from a meal if you invited them over to dinner.

So often church members come to church, find where they are going to sit, and plop down until the end of the service. (Isn’t that why many churches have “meet and greet” because members sit down and don’t seek out visitors?) May I encourage you that after you find your seat, set your Bible there, and go fishing.

Yeah, it can be nice to talk people at church. I wish I had had more time at church to socialize with friends. Of course, Steve has an agenda.

It is a great sadness for someone to visit a church but slide in and out unnoticed, without ever experiencing the “love of Christ.” 

How would you know this!? Isn't the point of church to have an experience with the divine?! This is borderline blasphemy. You have no idea what is going between God and the other people at church!

I will admit that it is nice to socialize, but other people may socialize more elsewhere.

Their visit to our church is such an opportunity for us to show them love and attention. 

If you just met them, I wouldn't use the word "love".  Get to know them first, before you give away pieces of your heart.

Make it more than just “Hi, glad you are here” but instead something like, “I’m Steve. Welcome. Do you live in the area? Why did you choose to visit us today? Any questions I can answer for you before the service starts?”

If someone asked me three questions in a row like that, I'd leave. You're coming off too strong. Also being interrogated doesn't scream of love to me.

Then write their name down and be sure to go find them after the service. Get to know them.  

Note to self: Don't show up early and leave as soon as possible.

I have to admit as a lonely person; it would be nice to meet people. But Steve is coming off too strong. He seems desperate. It also seems like he has an agenda, beyond getting to know some new people. I think he wants to bring them into the fold to sell stuff, preach at them, and get them to agree him on his values.

“And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men” (Matthew 4:19).

Again with the 1600s bible translation. 

This was one of the dumbest Seriously Dads in terms of sheer stupidity. It wasn't particularly good or bad advice. Getting to know new people can be rewarding, but again I get the feeling Steve wants something from these people. It's stupid he doesn't say what he wants. 

He's been fishing in the boat for years. Mainly the people he's converted are his family which is fishing in the living room fish tank. 

At least he didn't end with "may we be found faithful" or "to be continued". 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

"Assume you have a friend who liked to fish, and you knew of a place where the fish would actually jump in the boat. No doubt, he would want to go fishing there because the easiest place of all to fish is “in the boat.” " - Rick Maxwell, May 12, 2021

Hey Steve, I know where you can go fishing and have the fish jump right into the boat.  You're welcome to go and take your Bible.  You and anyone with you will need all the help you can get as Silver Carp jump out of the water by the thousands, some landing in the boat with you.  As the full grown carp can reach 3 feet long and weigh up to 80 lbs, they'll thrash around on the deck breaking things and sliming up the joint.  Injuries are common.

https://www.macon.com/news/nation-world/national/article238746738.html

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

How would you know this!? Isn't the point of church to have an experience with the divine?! This is borderline blasphemy. You have no idea what is going between God and the other people at church!

I will admit that it is nice to socialize, but other people may socialize more elsewhere.

This is such a good point.  I am not a church goer for many reasons, but there was a time when I would have gone regularly if not for the fact that the I'm uninterested in interacting with strangers.  I would always have a carefully timed trip to the ladies room so I didn't have to the "peace be with you thing."  At my mom's fundy-lite church it was even worse with the forced socializing.  So whatever I might have gotten out of church was negated by people like the Maxwells keeping me away.  Thanks, Steve and others like him!

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

The thing that always blows be away about Steve is the theme of his essays might be fine but he always takes a left turn into lunacy.  Dressing modest on the surface sounds fine.  Buttons are immodest - WTF?  Live without debt is great. Any debt is a huge sin- WTF?  Buy a debt free house sounds like a great idea.  A mortgage is a sin - WTF?  Off spring open their own business not a bad idea.  Going to college to enhance your career opportunities is unnecessary - WTF? 

He is about a half of bead out of plum. The only issue is the 1/2 of bead is the gateway to crazy town.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

I feel really bad for the people Steve "greets" at his church.  He asks questions, not to get to know people, but to judge them and point out how they're doing everything wrong.  He has many Seriously  and Dad's Corners where he writes about doing this.

I'd also think it was a bit creepy if someone sought me out, asked me a ton of questions, and then wrote my name down and sought me out again after the service.  I would not go back to that church.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 12

Steve likes to question how others raise their children & then judges them for not raising their kids the way his kids were raised. I also feel bad for the people he’s in church with. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic