IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

On 6/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm speechless.  A kiddo with seizures who was comatose reads like an afterthought after all the exclamation points like a cheerleader for their own God bothering.  What kind of parent can write that?

I can't get over the way it reads like they were surprised it was malaria. It's endemic in Cote d'Ivoire, it peaks between April and July and intermittent fevers would be a strong indication that it should at least be considered - and it's easy enough to get it checked out! Her daughter was freaking lucky, cerebral malaria is still a major killer of children. I hope she has no long term effects.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 2

On 6/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, Ozlsn said:

I can't get over the way it reads like they were surprised it was malaria. It's endemic in Cote d'Ivoire, it peaks between April and July and intermittent fevers would be a strong indication that it should at least be considered - and it's easy enough to get it checked out! Her daughter was freaking lucky, cerebral malaria is still a major killer of children. I hope she has no long term effects.

The little girls were sick in late December and January, not April though July. I didn't know a lot about malaria, thanks for telling us.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell

On 6/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, ClareDeLune said:

The missionary guy did preaching (and maybe prison work) while he had a fever, in a pandemic. Nice.  

https://us16.campaign-archive.com/?u=fa88fc3876bb3abcdc64b360e&id=c0d33c2b23

Don't know who those people are, don't know much about Ivory Coast, but I took a look at the travelling information from our foreign ministry. Additionally to covid: High criminality, higher risk for terrorism, standards in hospitals are low: lack of hygiene, lack of medical staff, lack of medication, high risk of malaria the whole year.

I took also a look at their public facebook page. He baptized locals in a muddy, dirty river - while he was having that soar throat and a fever - and (of course) without distance. Not only the children had malaria, also the father was in a traffic accident and the mother had a small stroke(?). She also wrote about being bitten by a centipede at night in her bed - so obviously they believe in GOD and not in mosquito nets as a malaria prevention. The father drove a dirt bike with both girls (without helmet) in flipflops - so again trust in JESUS instead of common sense... Their whole facebook is a huge WTF?!

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 7

If all that happened to my family (a family with two young children!), I would take it as a sign that God doesn't want me in that place and hightail it back home. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this missionary family is going to take it as a sign that Satan is working against them so they are going to double-down on staying. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

12 minutes ago, bertnee said:

If all that happened to my family (a family with two young children!), I would take it as a sign that God doesn't want me in that place and hightail it back home. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this missionary family is going to take it as a sign that Satan is working against them so they are going to double-down on staying. 

Of course!

When the girls were sick, one near death, it wasn't a warning from their god that they were in a place they don't belong. In fact, their god saved their little girl, after allowing her to be on the brink of death. Their god used that little girl to share the gospel, dontchaknow. 

I have zero tolerance for any god using people to get a message to other people. If said god wants all those people to be "saved", being as all powerful as he is, why can't he just....do it himself? Why send a family of idiots with two young children to do it for him? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

Free breakdown of the new Seriously, Dad? which is titled "Playing With Fire". It's from June 23, 2021. 

It was a hot day during summer vacation. My buddy Jack and I were taking the shortcut home across the vacant lot. I glanced back at Jack, and to my horror, he was tossing lit matches over his shoulder. Why? He was Jack. By the time we got the grass fire stomped out, our tennis shoe soles were severely melted. 

I'd be tempted to say what vacation, but there are more pressing issues at sake. Who is Jack? What year is it in the story? What kind of moron tosses lit matches over his shoulder for the fun of it? Seriously Jack sounds like a screwed up guy. The kind that starts forest fires. F**K Jack!

Also starting a fire for no reason reminded of Folsom Prison where the narrator "shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." Folsom Prison plus pyromaniacs made me think of the Ring of Fire. (Both Johnny Cash songs.)

I wonder how many professing Christian dads reading this are playing with fire. You might lose your wife, your children, your home, and even your job. Maybe you aren’t tossing matches over your shoulder, but those compliments to other women, or special movies or “racey” TV shows (I’m confident that some of today’s commercials would have caused Job to cover his eyes), spicy Youtube videos you watch or books you read may be lighting a little fire of a different sort. Could you be saying, “Doin no harm. I can handle it.”?

Well J**h Duggar and Doug Phillips both "played with fire". Probably a few more religious men that I have forgotten.

Also if you paying compliments to other women makes your wife seethe with jealousy, then either she's very possessive or you're crossing a line that will get you reported to HR. Steve, a lot of people don't watch the commercials anymore thanks to streaming services and the commercials seem less racy than when I was a kid. 

In my experience, women are just as likely if not more likely to read spicy books. 

Consider Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived. God appeared to him and warned him. Still he ruined his life and tore up the nation because he wouldn’t obey his God Who told him to not take foreign wives. “For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father” (1 Kings 11:4). 

This is not the first time Steve has brought up Solomon and his desire to increase his number of wives/harem with "foreign women".  He talked about it on March 10th in his column "Be Better Than Smart". This is not part of the bible I'm familiar with, but it seems that God did warn Solomon about marrying foreign women. I don't understand why God didn't just remind Solomon that marriage is supposed to be two people: a man and a woman; since homophobic religious people always say "marriage should be between one man and one woman as God intended." 

Might you and I do well to steer way clear of s*xual temptation? Its power is so strong, we won’t overcome it. We must run from it. 

Yes Steve asterisked sexual like a bad word. Depending on the translation of the bible, the word sexual appear several times. This must be why Steve likes the original King James Bible: no bad words. BibleGateway found 24 usages of the word "sexual" in the New King James Version. Although is sexual immorality really worse as a term than fornication? I wonder if Steve alters God's words if they seem too explicit for him. ?

As for not being able "to overcome sexual temptation", what happened to Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengths me"? You make yourself seem weak if you have to run from every small temptation, as listed above. 

I have no problem with people leaving situations that seem like they might get out of hand or make them uncomfortable. But it seems hypocritical to judge others for being religious enough, or not spending enough time reading the bible, etc., and then claim your own faith/will power is so weak you can't fight sin. 

Steve is the religious equivalent of someone on a very restrictive and low calorie diet. They brag about how thin they are and fat-shame others, but they can't be around food not on their diet in case they eat it all. 

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart” (2 Timothy 2:22)

And that's it. The only post close to father's day, and nothing about spending time with the kids. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

Steve is too self absorbed to recognize that healthy men - men entirely unlike him - can interact with the wimmenz, and give compliments and watch tv / movies / commercials without doing something that will make them lose their souls. They can see it and...move on. See it, not be aroused, not give a rat's ass, live their life. 

Poor man hates himself and something he did, or perceives he's done. Such a sad, sad way to live; such self loathing. Whatever sexual thought he couldn't run from has really f*cked up his little head. 

He took that self hate and used it to stunt & control his family. 

Steve Maxwell is a very weak, very pathetic little, little, man. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 12

I'm wondering how Steve knows about what kind of commercials are on t.v. these days since he claims not watch "The Beast".

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

It's a terrible society in which men are terrified to compliment women, and any who do are shamed as practically adulterers.

Also when I clicked the Maxhell index to get to this thread, FJ had a Victoria's Secret ad.  And yet I'm not feeling any closer to sinning.

St*v* can go s*xual hims*lf.

Edited by CyborgKin
*xtra bl**p
  • Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 6

This week, Steve is whining about men watching the news. He ends with: 

My Brothers, Scripture tells us what we are to feed on. “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” (Philippians 4:8). 

So, my question to Stevie boy is this: How, exactly, is obsessively writing about what other people are doing that you disagree with good, true, honest, pure or lovely? 

Pretty sure he spends as much time in judgement upon others as other people spend watching the news. More, probably. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 2

This week's Seriously Steve is called "Savory Sewage" and it's dated June 30, 2021.

Living in Florida I remember being fascinated any time I heard about a sinkhole event occurring, sort of like a modern Korah, Dathan, and Abiram moment (Numbers 16). Likely that single event of Numbers would hold the all-time, world record for sinkhole devastation. 

When did Steve live in Florida? Also looked up this bible story Numbers 16. It's a horrifying story of God smiting people left and right. Here's Numbers 16 for people who want to read it.

There is a costly, modern day sinkhole of another sort that impacts many (most?) men today. Sadly, few recognize the longterm consequences. However, I’m confident there is a horrific “cost” to God’s kingdom due to all the hours it sucks out of men’s lives and the negative impact to their souls. What is it?

Fundiefan mentioned it above, but with Steve, it could be anything. I'd guess television.

It is the news, and man’s insatiable “need” to be informed about every illegal, disastrous, scandalous, juicy, gory, and immoral event that the networks can find to keep their ratings up.

Well, I was partially right. It's the news, particularly television news. I should have been more specific, although I would have guessed television dramas. Then again Steve may not know much about programs on television, but he does know news.

Do I hear cries of “Heresy!” “Outrageous” “Insanity!”? Please extend me a bit of grace. Consider what the result of mentally “ingesting” the list from above? What profit is there? Does it build you up in Christ? Does it enrich your life or foster love, joy, or peace? Do you have a far greater hunger to read God’s Word as a family than you do to listen to or read the news? How many families are starved for the Bread of Life, while Dad is feasting on the sewage of the world?

Theorectically, the news is there to educate you on what's going on in the world. It gives you a better sense of what's going on in the world and why, or how it happens. Now it has been said that the news likes gory stories and that people who watch the news can become paranoid about crime or starting buying conspiracies, like the b.s. spread on many conservative news outlets. However it is important to have some frame of reference to learn about the world.

Also he refers to the above list, which is 

illegal, disastrous, scandalous, juicy, gory, and immoral.

Many of the stories in the bible involve things that are disastrous, scandalous, juicy, gory, and immoral. Like that story from Numbers he referrenced was disastrous,  juicy and gory. Does reading about God smiting people make you a better family man?

Since it is a shame to speak of the works of darkness, it is certainly not good to listen or read them. “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret” (Ephesians 5:11-12). 

Again the bible is filled with sex and violence, and reading it will have you come across many salacious stories. Also verse 5:11 says "to reprove the unfruitful works of darkness." It's hard to reprove the works of darkness without talking about them. Recovering Grace even quotes this verse in their explanation of why they talk about Gothard. 

Q:Why don’t you forgive Bill Gothard? Aren’t his sins  “covered by the blood?”
A. It is indeed true that the Grace of God is freely given, that we should forgive Bill Gothard for his sins (Matthew 6:12), and that “love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).” However, Scripture also commands us to “expose sin (Ephesians 5:11).”

The Bible is full of commandments to publicly rebuke sin:

“If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.” Luke 17:3

“Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.” 1 Timothy 5:20

“…correct, rebuke and encourage…” 2 Timothy 4:2

Bill Gothard has exhibited a 40-year pattern of refusing accountability for his sinful behavior, and, as we have previously stated, public accountability is the final step in the Matthew 18 process.

Back to Steve:

My Brothers, Scripture tells us what we are to feed on. “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” (Philippians 4:8). 

And yet Steve you just spent a whole column complaining about things which you consider darkness. Fundie fan summed it up nicely. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

They lived in Florida I think before Boeing, possibly after WA and before KS as well.  I will see if I can get more precise dates.  They definitely have talked about it, the kids were young, I don’t think there were reversals.  

Found one mention of it.  Sarah was a baby.  https://blog.titus2.com/2018/05/13/happy-mothers-day-with-a-peek-into-the-past/
https://blog.titus2.com/2009/01/30/piling-01-the-pelican-pad/

I think this may have been when Steve games the test and took a sales job and hated it

Edited by treemom
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

The photos of Terri before and after Steve’s reversal are so sad. Her eyes go from being genuinely happy to genuinely dead. She clearly enjoyed mothering her first three, had the time and energy to do elaborate cakes and costume days, but then she had six and the light was gone. She was going through the motions, trying her best but it wasn’t good enough, so she just resigned herself. You see this in other fundie wives, too, they lose the ability to feel joy and are kind of just waiting for the reward that they know is coming in heaven.  This is why it is so important to give girls self confidence starting at a very young age, so they can get up and leave when their fanatical husband goes off the deep end and turns Christianity into a cult.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 14

Lots of hints in that linked post about the Maxwell martyrdom.

Mothering definitely costs.

And some self depreciation, because you wouldn't be a Maxwell without it. They were bad kids, bad, bad kids. *ahem*

...there was a reason after three, Dad and Mom thought they should be done.

Because parents do not do things like this everyday with their children and never have. Teri sacrificed everything to...raise the children she chose to have. Oh, the crown she should be wearing!

Mom invested so much in us: making days special, going on fieldtrips and to the park, countless hours of wonderful read-aloud times, giving us an amazing education, baking with us, and the list goes on.

Again, Teri did what no other parent is willing to do - she taught her children how to do shit. In the kitchen, y'all. What other parent would do that? 

Even when it took extra time, Mom included her littles as she worked in the kitchen.

Bad kids. Bad, bad kids. Mommy has to hide in the bedroom. Ask your sister Sarah for lunch.

While these cuties look charming, they were quite the handful!

The textbook definition of misery masked by religion.

mothersday-19-277x400.jpg

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

They chose to have eleventy kids and then they want to be treated like saints and martyrs for having had eleventy kids. 

It makes no sense. 

Sigh. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13
  • Thank You 1

Terri looks like she’s either just finished crying or is about to cry, or both, in that picture.

I know we say she was/is also to blame for their whole cluster feck of a family but looking at that picture makes me unsure. It’s got to be up there with Saddest Fundie Photos ever. Her life was decent and he ruined it. I want to grab that woman’s hand and run with her far, far away. Poor Terri-of-the-past.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Honestly I can't tell if she's happy or not based on that photo. She could just be in the let's-have the-baby-already, final month/s of pregnancy phase. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, anachronistic said:

The photos of Terri before and after Steve’s reversal are so sad. Her eyes go from being genuinely happy to genuinely dead. She clearly enjoyed mothering her first three, had the time and energy to do elaborate cakes and costume days, but then she had six and the light was gone. She was going through the motions, trying her best but it wasn’t good enough, so she just resigned herself. You see this in other fundie wives, too, they lose the ability to feel joy and are kind of just waiting for the reward that they know is coming in heaven.  This is why it is so important to give girls self confidence starting at a very young age, so they can get up and leave when their fanatical husband goes off the deep end and turns Christianity into a cult.

That photo of her pregnant was so sad! She looks so depressed.  I know people have miserable pregnancies but even then you usually get a grin cause they at least know and are excited for the reason behind the misery! 

• Upvote 8

On 7/2/2021 at 9:17 AM, anachronistic said:

That’s what I have always thought about that post.  She looked so happy when it was just the three and it’s a downward slide into looking dead in the eyes.  That pic of her pregnant with Mary is always so sad to me

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

What is also interesting is that as her children reach adulthood and move out the life comes back in the last two pics.  Steve staying home sick that day certainly took happiness and joy out of his wife’s life for decades.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

On 6/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, fundiefan said:

Steve is too self absorbed to recognize that healthy men - men entirely unlike him - can interact with the wimmenz, and give compliments and watch tv / movies / commercials without doing something that will make them lose their souls. They can see it and...move on. See it, not be aroused, not give a rat's ass, live their life. 

Or be aroused and let it pass without reaching for someone or something. 

Heck, some guys recite baseball stats, or just think about something else to ignore an erection until it … un-erects. Not every woody has to be carried to a copulating conclusion!! 

Like @Bluebirdbluebell mentioned about people who boast about their body but can’t be around a certain food without gorging.  

Can’t Steve feel himself raisin’ a little and get over it?  

“Weak” IS the word. 

Steve Maxwell writes, 

“Please extend me a bit of grace.”

The hypocrisy and the irony are neck-and-neck. 

What a lousy, arrogant, unChristlike attitude!!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Look at the donald the duck cake! 

Compare to the lastest recipe, stir fry without oil.

How sad.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I don’t understand why Steve thinks the Christian thing to do is to totally ignore the needs of the world. Jesus broke bread with sinners. He reached out to everybody - the Maxwells mainly preach to the converted. 
I understand keeping away from some news - I’m not interested in celebrity news / latest celebrity scandal for example. but I’m just trying to imagine everyone being a Maxwell and never watching the news or reading the paper (thinking if headlines in the last few years)

No one would know that the Islamic State was taking over parts of the Middle East and committing many of the worst crimes of mankind. Yes, much better to be blissfully unaware as they gradually move across the countries and sweep everyone with them with an element of surprise because no one watches the news of the people trying to report what’s happening.

Covid of course. If no one watched the news, it would all be fine! I mean who needs to know about or care for a virus that was swooping the world and swamping hospitals and killing people in all sorts of health conditions, including the perfectly healthy?

Natural disasters.....yeah who needs to know about a major tsunami or earthquake - those people can help themselves.

Who needs to actually know about the state of the nation before voting in politicians?

No problem Maxwells. We will all stop feeding ourselves with the news and next time a tornado swoops through your state and destroys your home, we will all remain in our godly no bad news state of mind and your God will help you. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I don’t understand why Steve thinks the Christian thing to do is to totally ignore the needs of the world. Jesus broke bread with sinners. He reached out to everybody - the Maxwells mainly preach to the converted. 
I understand keeping away from some news - I’m not interested in celebrity news / latest celebrity scandal for example. but I’m just trying to imagine everyone being a Maxwell and never watching the news or reading the paper (thinking if headlines in the last few years)

No one would know that the Islamic State was taking over parts of the Middle East and committing many of the worst crimes of mankind. Yes, much better to be blissfully unaware as they gradually move across the countries and sweep everyone with them with an element of surprise because no one watches the news of the people trying to report what’s happening.

Covid of course. If no one watched the news, it would all be fine! I mean who needs to know about or care for a virus that was swooping the world and swamping hospitals and killing people in all sorts of health conditions, including the perfectly healthy?

Natural disasters.....yeah who needs to know about a major tsunami or earthquake - those people can help themselves.

Who needs to actually know about the state of the nation before voting in politicians?

No problem Maxwells. We will all stop feeding ourselves with the news and next time a tornado swoops through your state and destroys your home, we will all remain in our godly no bad news state of mind and your God will help you. 

Kristshuns already believe that "the Islamists" are taking over the world; that's why fundies need to outbreed & up their evangelism. They are terrified of the Muslim Barack Obama and what he brought to the US and all must be stopped. They're scared of "Shaira Law" and invoke it at every turn, as they work their asses off for Kristshun Law. 

Fundies are not the smartest people in existence and they interpret news through their fundie lens that shakes it up & spits it out as something entirely different from what it actually is. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic