IGNORED

Hillsong

closetcagebaby

Hillsong pastor Carl Lentz has been fired for “moral failures,” and my schadenfreude is off the charts. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Well this will be interesting over the next few weeks. :popcorn2:

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Twitter rumors are saying infidelity or his support of BLM, but it has to be something major for them to cut ties like this. 

• Thank You 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Twitter rumors are saying infidelity or his support of BLM

That these could be considered equally disqualifying for a white evangelical pastor is Peak 20/20. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 14
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

That these could be considered equally disqualifying for a white evangelical pastor is Peak 20/20. 

Which is just so insane. I’m not religious but I’m pretty positive that if Jesus had existed, he would support equality and BLM. But not adultery. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7

9 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Twitter rumors are saying infidelity or his support of BLM, but it has to be something major for them to cut ties like this. 

I’m guessing infidelity rather than BLM support although I find it ironic Brian Houston is apparently the one to directly fire him. Brian (allegedly) covered up his dad’s pedophilia for years. 

https://churchleaders.com/news/337808-frank-houston-brian-houston-accused-of-covering-up-fathers-sexual-abuse.html

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I’m guessing infidelity

Yup, but my immediate mental response was -- with a man or a woman?  

50 minutes ago, clueliss said:

He's written a book.  Tattooed hipster dude.  

The reviews were predominantly 5 stars (!) or two stars, apparently based on whether the reviewer was a critical thinker/basketball fan. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Howl said:

Yup, but my immediate mental response was -- with a man or a woman?  

Ah, yes! Woman = sweep it under the rug, blame woman for being seductress. Man = moral failing, humiliation of the church, reprobate. 

/s

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I just reread the "letter" and realized that it noted "ongoing discussions in relation to leadership issues and breaches of trust, plus a recent revelation of moral failures."

Sounds like he was going off the rails for awhile.  Also note moral failures (plural). 

I could be wrong, but it's almost as though becoming the leader of a mega church with the attendant wealth, power and adulation don't support spiritual growth.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 15
  • Love 1

I was reading the Twitter comments from the link in the first post, and someone asked if this disqualified Justin Bieber’s baptism (performed by the moral failure now under discussion), and then wrote ‘or should I say bieptism’, and I can’t stop laughing about it.

• Haha 23
  • Love 3

People magazine quoting Joel Houston: 

They [Carl and Laura] have a heart for people and we are confident that after a time of rest and restoration, God will use Carl in another way outside of Hillsong church. In terminating his tenure, we in no way want to diminish the good work he did here.

Paraphrasing: adios, motherf**ker, and don't let the door slam you in the ass on your way out. 

He must have seriously pissed off the wrong person(s), likely the husband of the cause of his moral failings. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Howl said:

People magazine quoting Joel Houston: 

Paraphrasing: adios, motherf**ker, and don't let the door slam you in the ass on your way out. 

He must have seriously pissed off the wrong person(s), likely the husband of the cause of his moral failings. 

I’m confused. This makes it sound like it wasn’t for infidelity which makes me even more curious what it was for. I mean, why assure people he’s still “in” with God when you’ve fired him for “moral failings”?

Apparently Carl’s dad is a big deal lawyer for Hillsong so it’s even more interesting that they told him to gtfo. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Anyone else remembering the fall of Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill Seattle?  That was because he was a self-righteous jerkwad, wasn't it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Anyone else remembering the fall of Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill Seattle?  That was because he was a self-righteous jerkwad, wasn't it. 

Unrepentant ass is more accurate.  He became more abusive as time went on and refused to undergo a repentance process once he got the boot.  He has since started a new church in Scottsdale, AZ.  

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I’m confused. This makes it sound like it wasn’t for infidelity

Could be both. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

People reports https://people.com/human-interest/hillsong-pastor-carl-lentz-reveals-infidelity

Hillsong Pastor Carl Lentz, Bieber's One-Time Spiritual Confidant: 'I Was Unfaithful' to My Wife

Carl Lentz acknowledged his infidelity one day after Hillsong Church said he was terminated for "moral failures"

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

He was sure to drag his wife and kids into this mess by posting a family picture on Instagram, along with a long post with the usual (rebuilding trust, my wife is so important, my kids, getting help, yada  yada). He has two teen-aged daughters, so the photo helps just in case anyone didn't already recognize them. What a complete ass. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Hillsong