IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 5: We're On Our Own

GreyhoundFan

Jesus Christ, if #CovidKim had moved that quickly in responding in the pandemic we'd be in excellent shape right now.

Governor Kim Reynolds on Tuesday issued a disaster proclamation for Boone, Clinton, Dallas, Johnson, Marshall, and Story counties. It allows state resources to respond to recovery efforts following Monday’s storms.

The release from the governor’s office said it could be issued for additional counties.

“The proclamation also activates the Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program for qualifying residents, along with the Disaster Case Management Program, for Dallas, Johnson, Marshall, and Story counties,” the release said.

The program provides grants up to $5,000 for families with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum income of $43,440 for a family of three. Grants cover home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food, and temporary housing expenses. Those looking for reimbursements are required to show original receipts.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

At which point do pitchforks go on sale? 

Seriously the idea that these bozos are going on vacation away from the centre of power and their electorates  during a national crisis is unbelievable.

But they have to leave so they can campaign to be reelected!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

At which point do pitchforks go on sale?

I did some quick research and it looks like they start out at about $24.  Both locally and at places like Lowes or Amazon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

"‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks"

Spoiler

On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

In an email to the sheriff’s department obtained by the Ocala Star-Banner, Woods disputed the idea that masks are a consensus approach to battling the pandemic.

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email.

A majority of epidemiologists and other health experts say face masks and social distancing are key to slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has ravaged Florida. The state, which has recorded more than 542,000 cases and more than 8,600 deaths, added 217 more deaths on Tuesday; Marion County also set a record for daily deaths on Tuesday, with 13.

Police nationwide have faced scrutiny over inconsistent use of masks by officers, even in large cities like New York and Philadelphia where face coverings are mandatory. Many large departments only suggest officers wear masks, ABC News recently found, while those that require them, including the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, make exceptions for incidents where masks might impede officers in the line of duty.

Woods is among the first law enforcement officials to outright ban masks for his deputies, though.

He issued the order as Marion County and its largest city, Ocala, are mired in a politically charged debate over a mandatory mask rule. The Ocala City Council passed an emergency mask order last week, but Mayor Kent Guinn (R) vetoed it, citing in part a refusal by Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham to enforce the rule.

“My chief and I have talked about it. We will never write a fine. We’re just not going to do it,” Guinn told the Sky 97.3 FM on Monday.

The city council plans to meet Wednesday to consider overriding the veto, the Star-Banner reported.

Woods, meanwhile, told his deputies on Tuesday to stop wearing masks in most cases. While officers can still mask up in areas including the courthouse and county jail, they must immediately take off the face coverings afterward. Deputies working special events are also forbidden from wearing masks, Woods said.

All visitors to sheriff’s department buildings will be asked to take off their masks in the lobby, Woods said, linking that rule to the ongoing protests against police brutality.

“In light of the current events when it comes to the sentiment and/or hatred toward law enforcement in our country today, this is being done to ensure there is clear communication and for identification purposes of any individual walking into a lobby,” he wrote.

The sheriff argued working mask-free hasn’t led to a spike of infections in his 900-person department. “Since the beginning of this pandemic the operation of this office has not changed and no wearing of masks has been put in place,” he said.

But as the Star-Banner reported, the local jail has seen a serious spike, with at least 200 inmates testing positive, along with 36 jail employees, including officers. A nurse at the jail has also died of covid-19.

Should anyone challenge a deputy about wearing a mask, Woods wrote, “politely and professionally tell them I am not required to wear a mask nor will I, per the Order of the Sheriff.”

Woods, whose office didn’t immediately respond to a message from The Washington Post, participated in a phone conference with President Trump and other sheriffs on Tuesday.

The sheriff ended his missive by making it clear that he would brook no dissent.

“This is no longer a debate nor is it up for discussion,” he wrote. “Please keep in mind this entire pandemic is fluid and constantly changing the way things are done. However, my orders will be followed or my actions will be swift to address.”

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 8

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I did some quick research and it looks like they start out at about $24.  Both locally and at places like Lowes or Amazon.

I am somewhat regretting that I gave my pitchfork to a friend when we sold our horse property. On the other hand, I kept the digging fork! 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

But they have to leave so they can campaign to be reelected!

You know what? If that was what they were doing I might have more sympathy... or at least I'd be the masked person in full PPE at the Town Hall demanding to know why the he'll they weren't at work fixing stuff and letting their campaign team campaign about how hard working they are.

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I am somewhat regretting that I gave my pitchfork to a friend when we sold our horse property. On the other hand, I kept the digging fork! 

Throwing axes might also be useful. And tiki torches for the full look?

9 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks"

Hide contents

On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

In an email to the sheriff’s department obtained by the Ocala Star-Banner, Woods disputed the idea that masks are a consensus approach to battling the pandemic.

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email.

A majority of epidemiologists and other health experts say face masks and social distancing are key to slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has ravaged Florida. The state, which has recorded more than 542,000 cases and more than 8,600 deaths, added 217 more deaths on Tuesday; Marion County also set a record for daily deaths on Tuesday, with 13.

Police nationwide have faced scrutiny over inconsistent use of masks by officers, even in large cities like New York and Philadelphia where face coverings are mandatory. Many large departments only suggest officers wear masks, ABC News recently found, while those that require them, including the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, make exceptions for incidents where masks might impede officers in the line of duty.

Woods is among the first law enforcement officials to outright ban masks for his deputies, though.

He issued the order as Marion County and its largest city, Ocala, are mired in a politically charged debate over a mandatory mask rule. The Ocala City Council passed an emergency mask order last week, but Mayor Kent Guinn (R) vetoed it, citing in part a refusal by Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham to enforce the rule.

“My chief and I have talked about it. We will never write a fine. We’re just not going to do it,” Guinn told the Sky 97.3 FM on Monday.

The city council plans to meet Wednesday to consider overriding the veto, the Star-Banner reported.

Woods, meanwhile, told his deputies on Tuesday to stop wearing masks in most cases. While officers can still mask up in areas including the courthouse and county jail, they must immediately take off the face coverings afterward. Deputies working special events are also forbidden from wearing masks, Woods said.

All visitors to sheriff’s department buildings will be asked to take off their masks in the lobby, Woods said, linking that rule to the ongoing protests against police brutality.

“In light of the current events when it comes to the sentiment and/or hatred toward law enforcement in our country today, this is being done to ensure there is clear communication and for identification purposes of any individual walking into a lobby,” he wrote.

The sheriff argued working mask-free hasn’t led to a spike of infections in his 900-person department. “Since the beginning of this pandemic the operation of this office has not changed and no wearing of masks has been put in place,” he said.

But as the Star-Banner reported, the local jail has seen a serious spike, with at least 200 inmates testing positive, along with 36 jail employees, including officers. A nurse at the jail has also died of covid-19.

Should anyone challenge a deputy about wearing a mask, Woods wrote, “politely and professionally tell them I am not required to wear a mask nor will I, per the Order of the Sheriff.”

Woods, whose office didn’t immediately respond to a message from The Washington Post, participated in a phone conference with President Trump and other sheriffs on Tuesday.

The sheriff ended his missive by making it clear that he would brook no dissent.

“This is no longer a debate nor is it up for discussion,” he wrote. “Please keep in mind this entire pandemic is fluid and constantly changing the way things are done. However, my orders will be followed or my actions will be swift to address.”

So law enforcement numbers down in 3, 2, 1..

• Upvote 4

Dr. Gupta isn't sending his kids to school.

"This was not an easy decision, but one that we believe best respects the science," Sanjay Gupta wrote."

Imagine that.  Following the science. 

https://people.com/health/cnns-dr-sanjay-gupta-on-why-hes-not-sending-his-kids-back-to-school-amid-coronavirus/

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I still can't believe people actually voted for this tool:

• Confused 1
  • WTF 7

Local businesses don't want to have to tell anti-maskers to GTFO

With the backing of several local businesses, the Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce is asking the city to remove a portion of its mask mandate.

On Monday, Molly Grover, president of the chamber, requested in a letter to the city the removal of a provision in the mask mandate that states local businesses should withhold service to customers not wearing face masks.

Grover said she has received numerous phone calls and emails from business owners concerned that they are being asked to enforce a mandate that could harm their operations.

“The main concern is that businesses are, in effect, having to police and enforce the new mandate, putting on a responsibility that is outside their realm,” Grover said. “They are being mandated to refuse service when businesses are really focused on recovery efforts. It creates an undue burden.”

I smell bullshit.  There are other government policies businesses have to enforce and if people refuse to abide by then refuse service.  The only way the mandates are going to work is if they have actual teeth. 

18 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I still can't believe people actually voted for this tool:

Yeah I am so glad my sister and brother in law got the hell out of Florida and moved back closer to the rest of us.  Now if my cousin and his family would see sense and get the hell out too.  I bet cash money #CovidKim will see this and try to out dumbfuck both him and Kemp up in Georgia.  

• Upvote 2

Meanwhile #CovidKim has decided on the 2 plus 2 equals 5 method of calculating covid-19 data

Two days after the Iowa Department of Public Health disclosed its method for calculating 14-day average positivity rates for COVID-19, state officials put forth a different explanation for how such figures are determined.

Meanwhile, a Telegraph Herald analysis found as many as one-quarter of new coronavirus cases reported in Dubuque County in a two-week stretch were not factored into the 14-day positivity rate posted to the state of Iowa’s website.

Pat Garrett, a spokesman for Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, reframed the state’s method for calculating such rates in a phone call with the Telegraph Herald Thursday morning.

“(The way) we calculate 14-day positivity rates, is the sum total of individual positive cases from 14 days divided by the sum total of total individuals tested over 14 days,” Garrett said.

Jesus Christ Kim, do you goddamn job already.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3

On 8/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, WiseGirl said:

I'm working part time right now, so that my boss doesn't have to start firing people - the other designer and I are trading off days, as are the two press operators. We worked out the hours so I would still get just a little from unemployment, so I could also get the extra $600 weekly because they never actually made unemployment equal the amount you were making before (as it was originally supposed to be, I understand, from the beginning of this mess).

So last week's unemployment check? $19.

I think everyone in the senate should be required to apply for (good luck) and live on unemployment in their state until they've passed some sort of deal. No access to their savings, no living off their passive income, just live on unemployment like they expect their constituents to do. The maximum here is $350 a week. 

I think they'd be passing a deal very quickly. It took me nearly a month to get my first unemployment check when I went on furlough.

I've been saving up the majority of what I had been getting, so I should be OK if they get things together early in September. But, along with the extra unemployment benefits, all the payment deferrals most banks were offering are also expiring. So now people suddenly have their bills increasing, protection against eviction expiring, and their income cut by 2/3. 

Good work, Senate. You suck.

• Upvote 4

With #CovidKim at the helm Iowa can't do anything right

A top official with the Iowa Department of Public Health acknowledged that a flaw in the state’s COVID-19 data system has led to inaccuracies in the reporting of new COVID-19 cases as well as positivity rates.

Rob Ramaekers, surveillance unit lead epidemiologist for the IDPH, disclosed the problem in an email exchange with Dana Jones, a nurse practitioner based in Iowa City.

“We recognize this is a problem and have been working on logic to handle it,” Ramaekers wrote.

In the correspondence, Ramaekers admitted that the reporting error resulted in new positive cases being recorded as happening in prior weeks and months. The errors have lowered state-tracked 14-day positivity rates because some new cases have been coded as having occurred more than 14 days ago. The 14-day rate is a key metric regarding in-person teaching in schools. 

Logic on how to handle this????  Why not try to quit fudging the numbers to appease Fuck Face, Kimmy?  Then maybe you'll get some accurate data.

• Upvote 6

So the mango moron is putting his faith in Dr. My Pillow: "Trump 'enthusiastic' over unproven coronavirus therapeutic, MyPillow creator says"

Spoiler

(CNN)President Donald Trump and Mike Lindell, the creator of MyPillow and an avowed supporter, participated in a July meeting at the White House regarding the use of oleandrin as a potential therapeutic for coronavirus, Lindell confirmed to CNN.

Oleandrin is an extract from the plant Nerium oleander. The raw oleander plant is highly toxic, and consumption of it can be fatal.

He described the President's response toward the extract as "enthusiastic."

"He was enthusiastic, as he is on everything that's going to help people," he told CNN, adding that Trump wanted the Food and Drug Administration to "do its course."

Trump confirmed he's "heard about" oleandrin when asked Monday on the White House South Lawn, but still seemed to be in an information-gathering phase.

"Is it something people are talking about very strongly?" he asked the reporter.

"We'll look at it, we'll look at it, we're looking at a lot of different things. I will say the FDA has been great. They are very close. We're very close to a vaccine. Very close to a therapeutic. I have heard that name mentioned, we'll find out," the President said.

it's unclear whether he's raised it with the FDA. A task force member told CNN this has never been brought up during a task force meeting -- even those attended by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, who is a member of the White House coronavirus task force, with whom Lindell said he shared brought his findings.

"I brought this to Secretary Carson and he did his due diligence and was just amazed. He said it was very exciting seeing all the data," he said.

The Washington Post first reported the oleandrin push.

The President has been known to embrace and promote unscientific approaches to the coronavirus. He previously said he took daily doses of hydroxychloroquine, a drug he's long touted as a potential coronavirus cure even as medical experts and the FDA question its efficacy and warn of potentially harmful side effects.

Last week, Lindell was added to the board of Phoenix Biotechnology, which makes oleandrin, and received a financial stake in the company.

"The reason I did that, I want this to get to the public so bad and I want to get it out there to help people," he said.

Oleandrin has not been approved by the FDA. The agency generally does not approve dietary supplements, but says it's the company's responsibility to make sure its products are safe and claims are true. FDA has gone after hundreds of products for making false claims about diagnosing, preventing or treating Covid-19.

The FDA did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment. The White House declined to comment on the record, but a Department of Health and Human Services spokesman said Trump supports "safe and effective" treatments.

"I'm quite certain the President strongly supports every possible safe and effective COVID treatment. As always, let's see where the trials take us," said Michael Caputo, the HHS spokesman.

Lindell said the supplement didn't come up when he had a subsequent meeting with Trump on advertising.

Lindell, who hails from the Minneapolis area, is the chairman of the Minnesota Trump campaign and makes frequent appearances on Trump's behalf. He is planning to attend the President's remarks in Mankato later Monday and wasn't sure if he would be meeting with the President while he was in town. He is "very much" thinking about pursuing a run for office, as he originally told CNN in 2018.

The MyPillow creator said he receives numerous pitches for personal protective equipment and therapeutics, first heard about oleandrin when he was contacted by Phoenix Biotechnology's Andrew Whitney on Easter Sunday.

Lindell said he did his own due diligence and research, citing studies from the University of Texas and Fort Detrick in Maryland, calling his findings "so exciting." He has taken the extract as a prophylactic himself and has encouraged friends and family to do the same.

No studies involving oleandrin and Covid-19 have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals, and there's no public information to show oleandrin has been tested in Covid-19 patients. One pre-print study, which hasn't been peer-reviewed or published, found the extract had antiviral effects against Covid-19 in cells in the lab. Two of the study's authors are employed by Phoenix Biotechnology.

Lindell expressed frustration that the FDA has yet to approve oleandrin for either the dietary supplement list or an Investigational New Drug Application (IND) number.

• WTF 7

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Lindell expressed frustration that the FDA has yet to approve oleandrin for either the dietary supplement list or an Investigational New Drug Application (IND) number.

I cannot imagine why this is taking so long. I mean, a potentially toxic drug which appears to have no animal studies published and no evidence of efficacy against coronavirus in animal models and they won't just let him manufacture and sell it? Oh the humanity!!

I give it three months before he's selling it out of Mexico.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Waterloo just became the latest Iowa community to stand up to #CovidKim

The Waterloo City Council voted 6-1 passing a mask mandate resolution on Monday.

The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports the resolution would require face coverings in public areas when staying six feet apart from others isn’t possible, as well as in places like public transportation, businesses or city buildings.

Exemptions include when residents are alone or with other members of their household, when exercising, when eating or drinking, and for children under two years of age or people with some medical conditions.

Awaiting the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the anti-mask crowd like this....

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 6

Treason Ken is a moron:

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 3

And in Dubuque they left the ordinance intact without pulling out the part that requires businesses to enforce the wearing of masks.

Council members voted unanimously to receive and file a request from the chamber to remove a provision from the recently approved mandate requiring the wearing of face coverings to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The provision in question states local businesses should withhold service to customers not wearing face coverings, and all council members made it very clear they were not in favor of its removal.

However, council members expressed their support for the mandate in its entirety, arguing that the provision in question is an essential element of ensuring that face coverings are worn.

Provision E of the mandate states, “No business that is open to the public may provide service to a customer or allow a customer to enter its premises unless the customer is wearing a face covering as required by this ordinance.”

“I don’t think we’re asking much of you,” said Council Member Ric Jones, later adding, “I’ve heard from several businesses thanking us for putting the mandate in place because they can now enforce it with backing.”

I'm glad they stuck to their guns here and left it all intact.  I think if they had taken it out the city would have rendered the mandate toothless in that the businesses wouldn't be able to enforce the mandate and not be sure the city would be able to back them up. 

Of course the anti-maskers are all having a fit now and going on about how they don't want to shop in town anymore.  Ugh. 

• Upvote 4

On 8/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

So the mango moron is putting his faith in Dr. My Pillow: "Trump 'enthusiastic' over unproven coronavirus therapeutic, MyPillow creator says"

Reveal hidden contents

(CNN)President Donald Trump and Mike Lindell, the creator of MyPillow and an avowed supporter, participated in a July meeting at the White House regarding the use of oleandrin as a potential therapeutic for coronavirus, Lindell confirmed to CNN.

Oleandrin is an extract from the plant Nerium oleander. The raw oleander plant is highly toxic, and consumption of it can be fatal.

He described the President's response toward the extract as "enthusiastic."

"He was enthusiastic, as he is on everything that's going to help people," he told CNN, adding that Trump wanted the Food and Drug Administration to "do its course."

Trump confirmed he's "heard about" oleandrin when asked Monday on the White House South Lawn, but still seemed to be in an information-gathering phase.

"Is it something people are talking about very strongly?" he asked the reporter.

"We'll look at it, we'll look at it, we're looking at a lot of different things. I will say the FDA has been great. They are very close. We're very close to a vaccine. Very close to a therapeutic. I have heard that name mentioned, we'll find out," the President said.

it's unclear whether he's raised it with the FDA. A task force member told CNN this has never been brought up during a task force meeting -- even those attended by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, who is a member of the White House coronavirus task force, with whom Lindell said he shared brought his findings.

"I brought this to Secretary Carson and he did his due diligence and was just amazed. He said it was very exciting seeing all the data," he said.

The Washington Post first reported the oleandrin push.

The President has been known to embrace and promote unscientific approaches to the coronavirus. He previously said he took daily doses of hydroxychloroquine, a drug he's long touted as a potential coronavirus cure even as medical experts and the FDA question its efficacy and warn of potentially harmful side effects.

Last week, Lindell was added to the board of Phoenix Biotechnology, which makes oleandrin, and received a financial stake in the company.

"The reason I did that, I want this to get to the public so bad and I want to get it out there to help people," he said.

Oleandrin has not been approved by the FDA. The agency generally does not approve dietary supplements, but says it's the company's responsibility to make sure its products are safe and claims are true. FDA has gone after hundreds of products for making false claims about diagnosing, preventing or treating Covid-19.

The FDA did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment. The White House declined to comment on the record, but a Department of Health and Human Services spokesman said Trump supports "safe and effective" treatments.

"I'm quite certain the President strongly supports every possible safe and effective COVID treatment. As always, let's see where the trials take us," said Michael Caputo, the HHS spokesman.

Lindell said the supplement didn't come up when he had a subsequent meeting with Trump on advertising.

Lindell, who hails from the Minneapolis area, is the chairman of the Minnesota Trump campaign and makes frequent appearances on Trump's behalf. He is planning to attend the President's remarks in Mankato later Monday and wasn't sure if he would be meeting with the President while he was in town. He is "very much" thinking about pursuing a run for office, as he originally told CNN in 2018.

The MyPillow creator said he receives numerous pitches for personal protective equipment and therapeutics, first heard about oleandrin when he was contacted by Phoenix Biotechnology's Andrew Whitney on Easter Sunday.

Lindell said he did his own due diligence and research, citing studies from the University of Texas and Fort Detrick in Maryland, calling his findings "so exciting." He has taken the extract as a prophylactic himself and has encouraged friends and family to do the same.

No studies involving oleandrin and Covid-19 have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals, and there's no public information to show oleandrin has been tested in Covid-19 patients. One pre-print study, which hasn't been peer-reviewed or published, found the extract had antiviral effects against Covid-19 in cells in the lab. Two of the study's authors are employed by Phoenix Biotechnology.

Anderson Cooper thrashed Dr. My Pillow. It's an excellent interview. It's broken into two parts. Both are worth watching. I love when Lindell starts screeching about Jesus.

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

Article from The Atlantic going over what went wrong in the US response.

Too long to quote the entire thing but this bit got to me:

"And so the U.S. wasted its best chance of restraining COVID‑19. Although the disease first arrived in the U.S. in mid-January, genetic evidence shows that the specific viruses that triggered the first big outbreaks, in Washington State, didn’t land until mid-February. The country could have used that time to prepare. Instead, Trump, who had spent his entire presidency learning that he could say whatever he wanted without consequence, assured Americans that “the coronavirus is very much under control,” and “like a miracle, it will disappear.” With impunity, Trump lied. With impunity, the virus spread."

• Upvote 5
  • Angry 2

On 8/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, WiseGirl said:

Vote them out. Fucking coorporate stooge McTurtle

I'm going to keep saying this until Nov. 3:  Even if Biden is elected, if the Senate is not flipped to Blue, there will be four more years of relentless ratf**kery, especially if McConnell retains his Senate seat.  I'm sending money to his opponent in the Kentucky senate race.  I'm sending $$$ to MJ Hegar here in Texas, Sen. John Cornyn's opponent. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Yeah everything is fucked up here in Iowa right now

With less than one week remaining before Dubuque schools are slated to open, the acknowledgment of errors in the state’s COVID-19 data has added a new layer of stress and uncertainty to the beginning of the academic year.

Dubuque Community Schools Superintendent Stan Rheingans on Tuesday said he was “very concerned” by the revelation.

“We knew it was going to be a fluid start to the school year, even with good data,” he said. “When we are concerned or skeptical about the data, that makes it more difficult.”

The TH reached out to the Iowa Department of Public Health and the office of Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds on Monday morning and repeatedly throughout Monday and Tuesday. As of Tuesday night, those entities had not responded to repeated inquiries from the TH about the extent of the data flaws and the state’s plan to address them. Nor has errant data on the state COVID-19 website spot-checked by the TH on Tuesday night been corrected yet.

• Upvote 4

Like I said, it's all fucked up here in Iowa.

An Iowa county said Tuesday that a clinic failed to report up to 3,000 negative coronavirus test results, as concerns about inaccuracies in the state's official pandemic data continued to mount even as schools use it to determine their fall plans.

Webster County Public Health department spokeswoman Kelli Bloomquist said her agency uncovered the clinic's failure to report negative tests last week, and the clinic belatedly submitted the 3,000 results. The county didn't say why the clinic was not reporting the negative results.

The state system rejected the submissions, but a subsequent review confirmed that many tests had not been entered, Bloomquist said. The new information dramatically reduced the county's 14-day positivity rate, which the state is using to determine whether school districts must return for at least 50% in-person instruction.

U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne, D-Iowa, called the news a "gut punch" and called on the governor to fix the problem and explain what it means for current positivity rates.

• WTF 4

Bout fucking time 

Spoiler

time

Spoiler

After remaining silent on the issue for days, a spokesman for Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds this afternoon acknowledged a system flaw that has led to inaccuracies in COVID-19 case counts and 14-day positivity rates. 

"In an effort to report the number of individuals tested without duplicating results from those who were tested multiple times, an individual’s most recent test result, whether positive or negative, was unintentionally attributed to the date of their first test result," spokesman Pat Garrett wrote in an email. 

He said the state is adjusting its system to ensure that results are being recorded on the accurate day, not the date of the first test result.

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic