IGNORED

M is for Mama 4: S is for Shaving Shiloh

Georgiana

3 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Are Evy and Nola identical or not? Because I’m terrible at facial recognition but I can easily tell them apart because one has a rounder face and is a bit shorter. Abby implies that they’re identical but I don’t know. (And much as I detest her, I do adore those names, even if they are a mouthful. Though I wonder why Magnolia was shortened to Nola and not Maggie, which seems the easier, more logical choice.)

Because Braggie is super special and has to use a super special nick name instead of the most common nick name. She did that with her older daughter as well. She is Adelaide and most people would use Addy as a nick name. Nope, not super special Braggie. She has to call her Della.

• Upvote 6

I’m calling it now, if she has another girl in the future, she will have an unconventional nick name. Example: Georgia. You would assume a nick name would be Georgie or Gigi. Braggie would go with Gia. Because special.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Are Evy and Nola identical or not? Because I’m terrible at facial recognition but I can easily tell them apart because one has a rounder face and is a bit shorter. Abby implies that they’re identical but I don’t know. (And much as I detest her, I do adore those names, even if they are a mouthful. Though I wonder why Magnolia was shortened to Nola and not Maggie, which seems the easier, more logical choice.)

Here's her answer:
115056081_ScreenShot2019-09-26at9_51_40AM.png.3bbabec83610eaeac0420f58d5fc6694.png

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Hane said:

@anachronistic, in the musical “Show Boat,” the character Magnolia is called “Nolie” for short, so maybe that’s where she got it?

In the book version, Magnolia is called Nola which was a common nickname at the time. It's not unheard of, just old fashioned.

• Thank You 3

This just reminds me of how Erika Shupe spoke about her youngest, her twins Lacey and Lilly. She referred to them as one person, and when they were 18 months (when she first did a blog post on them) she said that the only way she could tell them apart was by their earrings; Lacey wore pink and Lilly white. Most twin mamas are able to tell their twins apart from much earlier, usually with personality traits eg Twin A is feisty, Twin B is laid back. Then, when Erika posted photos of their family Christmas letter a few years later, they were under the same section (each kid had their own little bio, except they were together) and she said that they hadn’t yet grasped the unique twin thing. They were about four years old at this point. 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 6

Ah of course they’re mirror twins, rarer than identical twins ?

I did the unconventional nickname thing... there were eleventy billion Ellie’s around so I used the middle of my daughter’s El- name to form her nickname instead. If she chooses to go by Ellie when she’s older I’ll deal, but I never intended it for her. I also like Braggie’s kids’ names. If my husband had let me call a daughter Adelaide I totally would have used Heidi rather than Addy.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Ah of course they’re mirror twins, rarer than identical twins ?

I did the unconventional nickname thing... there were eleventy billion Ellie’s around so I used the middle of my daughter’s El- name to form her nickname instead. If she chooses to go by Ellie when she’s older I’ll deal, but I never intended it for her. I also like Braggie’s kids’ names. If my husband had let me call a daughter Adelaide I totally would have used Heidi rather than Addy.

How do you get Heidi from Adelaide? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

How do you get Heidi from Adelaide? 

I think it’s related to the book Heidi by Johanna Spyri.  Her real name, I think, was Adelaide.

ETA: from my googling it looks like the German form of the name Adelaide is Adelheid. Which makes it pretty easy to get to Heidi. 

Edited by mhainlen
More info
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7

@mhainlen, don’t let me get started on how we got Peggy (and Daisy) from Margaret, Polly from Mary, Dick from Richard, Bob from Robert, Bill from William, Jack from John, Hank and Harry from Henry, ad infinitum!

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, mhainlen said:

I think it’s related to the book Heidi by Johanna Spyri.  Her real name, I think, was Adelaide.

ETA: from my googling it looks like the German form of the name Adelaide is Adelheid. Which makes it pretty easy to get to Heidi. 

I was wondering about that myself, I’ve seen Heidi’s full name as both Adelaide and Adelheid.

There is a fundie with the name Adelheid and nick named Heidi. Heidi Query.

Wasn’t she the Duggars’ violin teacher?

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I was wondering about that myself, I’ve seen Heidi’s full name as both Adelaide and Adelheid.

Wasn’t she the Duggars’ violin teacher?

Yeah, the Query’s are friends with the Duggars. 3 daughters and a son. 

• Thank You 2

55 minutes ago, Hane said:

how we got Peggy (and Daisy) from Margaret

The other ones I have no idea, but I do remember in French class in high school learning that 'marguerite' means 'daisy' so I'm going to assume that's where that nickname came from. I have a cousin named Margaret so I always remember that because I thought it was cute.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

This just reminds me of how Erika Shupe spoke about her youngest, her twins Lacey and Lilly. She referred to them as one person, and when they were 18 months (when she first did a blog post on them) she said that the only way she could tell them apart was by their earrings; Lacey wore pink and Lilly white. Most twin mamas are able to tell their twins apart from much earlier, usually with personality traits eg Twin A is feisty, Twin B is laid back. Then, when Erika posted photos of their family Christmas letter a few years later, they were under the same section (each kid had their own little bio, except they were together) and she said that they hadn’t yet grasped the unique twin thing. They were about four years old at this point. 

I have an incredibly narcissistic brother and he does the exact same kind of thing. He recently became FB friends with some out of state family members and 2 are twins. He only refers to them as "the twins". They are 30-something year old women who have individual lives and probably haven't dressed alike since they were children. But nope, bro sees them as a unit. He's never known twins and likes them as a concept and not as unique people. The last time I saw bro he talked about them quite a bit and never once used their names. I had to ask my mom later what their names were. It was disgusting. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

The other ones I have no idea, but I do remember in French class in high school learning that 'marguerite' means 'daisy' so I'm going to assume that's where that nickname came from. I have a cousin named Margaret so I always remember that because I thought it was cute.

A lot of the other ones rhyme with more obvious nicknames. So Bill rhymes with Will, Bob with Rob, Dick with Rick, Peg(gy) with Meg(gy) and Polly with Molly, although I’m not sure why Mary becomes Molly.

I read somewhere that there used to be fewer names in general use which is why so many nicknames developed out of the commonest ones. I can’t remember where I read that so no idea if it’s reliable information but anecdotally, having spent quite a lot of time in graveyards, you do see a much smaller range of names particularly on pre 20th century graves. For women especially the majority are called Mary, Margaret, Anne, Jane, Elizabeth and Catherine (or variations thereof).

Edited by Topaz
Adding a comma
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

@SuperNova the twins will be nine soon I believe. Obviously since Erika stopped blogging I have no idea what she and the family are up to. The kids are in public school, and the twins may well be in separate classes, so hopefully things have changed. The fact that the kids spent pretty much all their time with Erika will have no doubt compounded matters. Seeing as fundies place so much store by their fertility, I imagine twins are seen as particularly “special”. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

@SuperNova the twins will be nine soon I believe. Obviously since Erika stopped blogging I have no idea what she and the family are up to. The kids are in public school, and the twins may well be in separate classes, so hopefully things have changed. The fact that the kids spent pretty much all their time with Erika will have no doubt compounded matters. Seeing as fundies place so much store by their fertility, I imagine twins are seen as particularly “special”. 

No doubt. I followed Erika and was always struck by her obsessive need for control above all else. The five minute blanket activity and one jelly bean treat were so over the top, not to mention the way she limited the older kids reading time. Who limits reading time? Compared to Erika, Abbie looks like a lightweight.

• Upvote 5

I had identical twins in my extended family that were treated as a unit their entire lives. It caused issues for them in life and I always said I would never treat twins like a unit if I had them. I would purposely give them names that don’t match and I would not dress them in the exact same outfit. Similar outfits are cute though. I’m also too cheap to put kids in matching outfits all the time. Braggie says she thrifts a lot so I’m usually surprised she can find matching outfits for her twins for their Sunday pictures. I hope the girls WANT to match. I think it’s completely fine if twins like to match. I just wouldn’t force it on them. 

• Upvote 5

I’m not a twin, but I have a cousin who is seven months older than I am who my grandparents always treated like my twin. We got matching outfits for holidays and the exact same toys for Christmas and it always annoyed me because we didn’t have the same interests them and we definitely don’t now. I was so glad when I turned about 16 and they started getting me things I actually wanted for Christmas. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I’m not a twin, but I have a cousin who is seven months older than I am who my grandparents always treated like my twin. We got matching outfits for holidays and the exact same toys for Christmas and it always annoyed me because we didn’t have the same interests them and we definitely don’t now. I was so glad when I turned about 16 and they started getting me things I actually wanted for Christmas. 

I have a cousin who is my same age and we’ve been BFFs from birth. Thankfully we are like complete opposites when it comes to our looks. No one bothered to try and match us. We probably would have liked that! But my mom matched my sister and I and we both hated it. Now my cousin and I have kids very close in age and we laugh because they look alike. And we never did. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

@Topaz and @Cat Damon, more fun facts: The Margaret—>Meg came from dialects in which the internal r’s weren’t enunciated clearly, and you’re right—the rest comes from Cockney rhyming slang.

The Mary/Molly and Sarah/Sally situation comes from a hard-to-explain (for me, anyway!) pronunciation shift that happened centuries ago in English, partly the “Great Vowel Shift” and partly a sliding of the relationship between r’s and l’s. (If I still had my “History of the English Language” textbooks from the ‘70s, I’d be able to explain this better!)

Also, my daughter once had identical twin students with nearly identical names, who came to school every day with identical hairstyles and identical outfits—no distinguishing features at all. They’d be teenagers now, and I wonder whether they finally rebelled.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Guys I think she might be talking about us ?

1008337118_ScreenShot2019-09-29at2_17_18AM.png.757bbbd942bd56baee7571dc730a29f7.png

This was in a response to someone asking if she worries about posting her kids faces and names publicly.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Guys I think she might be talking about us ?

1008337118_ScreenShot2019-09-29at2_17_18AM.png.757bbbd942bd56baee7571dc730a29f7.png

This was in a response to someone asking if she worries about posting her kids faces and names publicly.

And the reason she knows this is because she reads here. Hii Braggie!!?‍♀️

Edited by Dutch_girl
  • Upvote 3

Well I don’t even think I’ve ever used her last name on here because I don’t care. But she puts an insane about of info on Instagram and her blog so it wouldn’t be hard at all to find their last name. That’s what happens when you post every little detail of your life (except your last name) on social media.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic