IGNORED

Essentially Gathered - Jesus woo + oils

EowynW

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, her Insta is hashtag hell. And doTerra oils? Nooo. If you want oils, buy them at the local health food store and not from an MLM: that's my advice! I'm really hoping the doTerra thing is starting to fade away!

9 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Ugh, her Insta is hashtag hell. And doTerra oils? Nooo. If you want oils, buy them at the local health food store and not from an MLM: that's my advice! I'm really hoping the doTerra thing is starting to fade away!

I buy mine from either Plant Therapy or Eden's Garden. They're so much cheaper and both are 3rd party tested, non MLM companies and both are very honest about their oils. They get good praise from Essential Oil University too. 

9 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I buy mine from either Plant Therapy or Eden's Garden. They're so much cheaper and both are 3rd party tested, non MLM companies and both are very honest about their oils. They get good praise from Essential Oil University too. 

I use Aura Cacia a lot, as I've always found it to be good quality. There's also a mail-order company called Mountain Rose Herbs with all kinds of awesome herbs and goodies. I haven't tried their oils, but I'm hoping to!

1 minute ago, Lisafer said:

I use Aura Cacia a lot, as I've always found it to be good quality. There's also a mail-order company called Mountain Rose Herbs with all kinds of awesome herbs and goodies. I haven't tried their oils, but I'm hoping to!

Oooo I stalk Mountain Rose on instagram. People in my soaping group order from them. 

I'm happy with Plant Therapy! I only get organic.  Because I diffuse them and breathing in a fine mist of pesticides seems like a bad idea. My boss is so into doTerra. I love their Breathe. I make her get it for me. I literally cannot live without that blend. Whole family loves it!  I think it's funny how little research she's done on these oils, just convinced doTerra or Young Living is the only way to go. I've been using oils for decades. I get at Whole Foods, my local witch shop and now P.T. 

3 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

I'm happy with Plant Therapy! I only get organic.  Because I diffuse them and breathing in a fine mist of pesticides seems like a bad idea. My boss is so into doTerra. I love their Breathe. I make her get it for me. I literally cannot live without that blend. Whole family loves it!  I think it's funny how little research she's done on these oils, just convinced doTerra or Young Living is the only way to go. I've been using oils for decades. I get at Whole Foods, my local witch shop and now P.T. 

I do get the Breathe from Doterra. Mr EW suffers terrible from his asthma certain times of the year and it's been a very helpful tool in our toolbox for him. 

Dancing Willow Herbs in  Durango, CO creates herbal preparations with a focus on native plants of the southwest.  They wild gather Arnica to use in one of their formulas.  I had over exercised and my quads were in agony the next day; I could hardly walk.  Slathered on some of that Arnica oil and muscle pain was zero the next day. It was miraculous.  Good reminder that I need to get a fresh batch of that stuff this summer when I'm in SW Colorado. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She has 666 followers ?

I admit I laughed and then almost choked on my water.

what are some good essential oils for bruises? (such as bruised ribs, can I take something besides Tylenol?) or for sore muscles?

I have previously used Arnica gel (from drugstore) or horse chestnut lotion for bruises and sore muscles.

Now that @Howl has recommended Dancing Willow Herbs, I'm going to check them out.

I'm not into woo, but I do prefer natural to chemical if I can.  Like clove oil for tooth/gum pain, citronella oil as mosquito repellent, lavender for calm and sleep, burning sage or palo santo to dispel bad odors, peppermint oil to clear my head, rose oil for extremely dry skin, baking soda & peroxide to whiten teeth, etc.  I've recently bought (ebay) some handmade goat's milk soap that smells of Thieves Blend.  Not to keep away the plague, but I like the smell.

Actually maybe I'm a little bit more woo than I thought  :)

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

Oooo I stalk Mountain Rose on instagram. People in my soaping group order from them. 

I've used them in the past, they have pretty good products.  I used to only buy EO's from a small company out of England but they stopped shipping to the US after the airlines tightened up.  I switched to a company called New Directions Aromatics when I was soaping but they now have minimum order requirements.  So to the health food store I go.  I like the Now brand, haven't had any reactions and they all seem to work appropriately.  I use Now herb supplements too.

I've got a friend who got dragged into the YLO scheme and she's all in.  I am avid about not ingesting them but....I'm a dirty pagan who doesn't know anything about natural living.  

30 minutes ago, Howl said:

Dancing Willow Herbs in  Durango, CO creates herbal preparations with a focus on native plants of the southwest.  They wild gather Arnica to use in one of their formulas.  I had over exercised and my quads were in agony the next day; I could hardly walk.  Slathered on some of that Arnica oil and muscle pain was zero the next day. It was miraculous.  Good reminder that I need to get a fresh batch of that stuff this summer when I'm in SW Colorado. 

I have been needing some Arnica. Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

've got a friend who got dragged into the YLO scheme and she's all in. 

I wanted to use a "sad" emoji on your comment but this ^ (the quoted text) is what actually made me sad. I had a friend who signed up for YL only to get the dealer discount, I think? (Kind of like I signed up for Shaklee years and years ago, because they had a certain supplement that helped my joint pain at the time, not because I sold it to anyone else.) Anyhow, she didn't try to sell the oils to anyone, just used them for her family. Then she started having little parties here and there, making lip balms and lotions, still not selling the oils but charging a small amount for supplies if you chose to take the stuff you made home with you after the party.

Must be a slippery slope. Lately, almost a decade after we went to a YL party together, she's pushing YL heavily on her FB.

Don't know if she's sold out to YL because of what she thinks she's seen in using it with her family, or if she's bought the hype the company puts out about it being better and purer than the cheaper stuff you can get elsewhere, or if her family is having financial difficulties and this is a potential way to generate income.

@refugee The heavy handed sellers, the tops of the pyramid so to speak, are very good at getting others to buy in and push the products.  The products aren't bad, I just find the prices to be way too high and as you mentioned, all the talk about the quality is hype.  Yes, they're good, but there's no valid rating system in this country so it's all speculation as to who's "the best".  I hope your friend is able to keep it up and make some money.  It's like Mary Kay and the rest, if your lower level sellers slack off you lose that kick back and then if you've gotten comfortable with the kick back and have slacked off, it can get really expensive, really fast.  

I know here, recently, there was some pushback to that particular company and a few others about taxes and what constituted contract employment.  

I've got a personal little twitch about that particular company because if I'd have told my friend the exact same things about oils or herbs, she'd have blown me off in a heartbeat.  But let it be a fundy-lite friend who homeschools and pushes "godly remedies"...she was all over it.  I went to her first party and the woman who got her into them was straight up rude to me when I told her I ordered from overseas rather than a US company.  It's petty....but from that point forward I haven't made any orders, even out of support.  

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

Mountain Rose herbs is based in the area where I live, and actually opened a retail store here about a year ago.  It’s a gorgeous store.

My dying friend sold the herb business she spent almost 40 years building to them a couple of years ago.  She had multiple options, but sold to them because of their integrity, and the quality of their offerings.  

I know several people who work for them on the production end of things who have been involved in the organic and natural health industries for decades, and all of them speak highly of the business, both in terms of their commitment to standards and quality, and as a workplace.

I shop there a bit more than I should, and have been happy with everything I’ve gotten from them, and think the quality of their essential oils is excellent.

Also, if you pay them with cash, you get to choose between a couple of local environmental organizations for a small donation.

Since a couple of you had mentioned them, I just had to do a little plug for one of our more ethical local independent businesses.

I’ve also been happy with the essential oils  I’ve purchased from Eden’s Garden.

1 hour ago, Imrlgoddess said:

I've got a friend who got dragged into the YLO scheme and she's all in.  I am avid about not ingesting them but....I'm a dirty pagan who doesn't know anything about natural living.  

Nothing raises my eyebrows like someone telling me they ingest essential oils. It makes me angry that so many of the MLM sellers promote that and say it's safe because their oils are "pure". Liver damage, anyone? Esophageal burns? Sensitization? Yay!

27 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Nothing raises my eyebrows like someone telling me they ingest essential oils. It makes me angry that so many of the MLM sellers promote that and say it's safe because their oils are "pure". Liver damage, anyone? Esophageal burns? Sensitization? Yay!

Lol, check out the most recent post on Lisa Pennington's fb page and the ensuing discussion-- she's crowing about how YL oils are sooo much safer than other brands, because the ones in the store come with a warning label stating that you shouldn't drink them, and also that they may be flammable or cause irritation if they get in your eyes (duh). I guess she thinks YL is so natural and pure that you can just drop cinnamon oil onto your eyeball with no ill effects. Then a bunch of her friends who sell with different MLMs jump in to fight about it, because actually THEIR products are the only one with the Official Made Up Purity Guarantee. Love it.

Her name sounds very familiar to me. I don't know where, but I have heard of her.  Somewhere.  I'm not into oils and she does not look familiar.  But I think I have heard of her before.

4 hours ago, EowynW said:

I do get the Breathe from Doterra. Mr EW suffers terrible from his asthma certain times of the year and it's been a very helpful tool in our toolbox for him. 

Life changing, honestly. We don't take meds for a cold, can't.  And, I have asthma too. 

I'm probably going to ask my boss to get me a doTerra lavender.  Idk why but PT's smells horrible! We use aromatherapy at work so I get to try them all. Their lavender is nice. 

2 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Life changing, honestly. We don't take meds for a cold, can't.  And, I have asthma too. 

I'm probably going to ask my boss to get me a doTerra lavender.  Idk why but PT's smells horrible! We use aromatherapy at work so I get to try them all. Their lavender is nice. 

Are you just diffusing the Breathe? I haven't diffused it yet. I have made a homemade nebulizer with it for him and I dilute it to use topically. He's had such a hard time this winter, even with his traditional medicine.  :( 

6 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Are you just diffusing the Breathe? I haven't diffused it yet. I have made a homemade nebulizer with it for him and I dilute it to use topically. He's had such a hard time this winter, even with his traditional medicine.  :( 

Love it in the diffuser, next to my bed if real sick, across room if not.  I straight put a bit under my nose, rub a little on my outer nostrils. It doesn't bother my skin. I'm sure it would for some.  I feel your husband's pain as a life long asthma sufferer.  

Edit: I feel diffusing works best for asthma. I rub it on for stuffy nose, mostly. 

5 hours ago, EowynW said:

All I've ever used was Doterra (because the lady who got me interested in them, that's all she used) but it's SO expensive! Thank you for posting this! It's good to know!

18 hours ago, mollysmom said:

All I've ever used was Doterra (because the lady who got me interested in them, that's all she used) but it's SO expensive! Thank you for posting this! It's good to know!

Don't know if this is helpful, but I found this:

"doTERRA Breathe is a blend of Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca (Tea Tree), Lemon, Cardamom, Ravensara, and Laurel Leaf that emits an airy and fresh mint aroma."

(So it might be possible to make a similar mixture at home?)

Also this (though I don't know if this is a better price or not):

Breathe Ease from Rocky Mountain Oils

ETA: Although I notice that the Breathe Ease from Rocky Mountain Oils has pine in it, which would make it a non-starter in our household.

Thanks!  Doterra's is $26. I saw RMO offers 10% off first order. Stock up!  I'd try it. I'd prefer to not buy from mlm's! But that blend is gold!  I have all but 3 oils to make it myself.  I diffuse peppermint and eucalyptus a lot. Smells nice and gives me a pick me up. 

Archived