IGNORED

Essentially Gathered - Jesus woo + oils

EowynW

Has anyone heard of Butterfly Express essential oils? 

Tara Westover  wrote "Educated," her memoir of growing up in a bat-shit crazy fundamentalist (not FLDS or polygamous) Mormon family.  Highly recommended. 

Butterfly Express is the essential oils company started by Tara Westover's parents, primarily her mom.  No one in the family ever went to a doctor, ever.  They homeschooled and hated the government.  They were, however, part of their local Mormon community. 

Tara and one brother escaped into academia through their own efforts, with both ultimately getting PhDs; the rest of the family is still in southern Idaho, mostly working for family essential oil bidness, which has been very successful and made them a LOT of money.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see several women on various FB pages talk about taking essential oils internally via capsules. I once posted links about the dangers of these products and was shoot down. Now one is complaining about liver problems...

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Butterfly Express is the essential oils company started by Tara Westover's parents, primarily her mom.  No one in the family ever went to a doctor, ever.  They homeschooled and hated the government.  They were, however, part of their local Mormon community. 

Tara and one brother escaped into academia through their own efforts, with both ultimately getting PhDs; the rest of the family is still in southern Idaho, mostly working for family essential oil bidness, which has been very successful and made them a LOT of money.

The Westover family may have done well with their essential oil bidness, but they probably aren't in the same league as billionaire Frank VanderSloot, whose MLM, Melalucca, added essential oils to their many products about 4 years ago. 

I would gladly send Mr. VanderSloot and his money to the moon, so that he would stop using said money to fund the most conservative of the Idaho conservative politicians. 

On 4/1/2019 at 8:30 AM, Howl said:

Tara Westover  wrote "Educated," her memoir of growing up in a bat-shit crazy fundamentalist (not FLDS or polygamous) Mormon family.  Highly recommended. 

I just started Educated last night, for my book club.

13 minutes ago, JMarie said:

I just started Educated last night, for my book club.

Let me know what you think. I found it captivating and compelling and read it pretty quickly. 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The Westover family may have done well with their essential oil bidness, but they probably aren't in the same league as billionaire Frank VanderSloot, whose MLM, Melalucca, added essential oils to their many products about 4 years ago. 

I would gladly send Mr. VanderSloot and his money to the moon, so that he would stop using said money to fund the most conservative of the Idaho conservative politicians. 

Oh geez, Melaleuca. That’s a blast from the past. We knew a family heavily into that who kept trying to persuade us that we really needed a $40/month subscription to the company for all our household needs. Didn’t matter that we were barely making ends meet at the time. Why, it would practically pay for itself!

@refugee--Yeah, that sounds like my experience with Melalucca. When my husband was unemployed for awhile when the economy tanked in 2008, Melalucca people were among the vultures lined up to try to prey on his vulnerability. I really hated seeing that side of humanity; all the scammers trying to take advantage of people desperately looking for a job.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:27 PM, Howl said:

Let me know what you think. I found it captivating and compelling and read it pretty quickly. 

I know the author a little. Let us know what you think, and then I'll comment.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:30 AM, Howl said:

I have read that Mormons have gotten heavily into such multilevel marketing . https://religionnews.com/2017/06/20/10-reasons-mormons-dominate-multi-level-marketing-companies/   P.S. On a related anecdotal note , I have heard that in my old church , the Church of the Nazarene , a pastor's wife has gotten into selling Plexus , which is a diet drug .  Here is why this is not a good idea .   https://pinkdrinkscamalert.blogspot.com   It seems to me that different religious groups , which might be thought to be cults , are tending to converge with other types of cults , such as " commercial cults" .

On 4/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

I know the author a little. Let us know what you think, and then I'll comment.

Just finished it.  OMG!  I am massively bothered by the amount of serious physical injuries the family sustained, but I work in health care, and they didn't trust Western Medicine. And the victim shaming just broke my heart.

More on Educated: I know the author. I've known her for a while, off and on, but we're not friends, more acquaintances. She was fairly dismissive of me when we first met, but she definitely improved on further acquaintance.

I understand her a lot better now that I've read the book: she's a survivor. Think Gale's appraisal of Katniss in the Hunger Games: she'll do whatever she needs to do to survive. It's how she made it out of her family and escaped their fundie mentality: she has that mental grit. I think that the book is very true to life. She does make herself come off well, but it's a memoir so of course she's the hero of the book. Plus, she's a survivor and it's an effective survival strategy. so I can't blame her.

Archived