IGNORED

United States Congress 5: Still Looking for a Spine

Destiny

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Wow and I thought the ReThugs were the party of LAW. I must have been mistaken. Heh the Dems have Constitutional Law scholars and Trump has Rudy. Seems fair. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/these-house-democrats-opposed-pelosis-bid-for-speaker/ar-BBRLNdX?ocid=ientp

Democratic Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California reclaimed leadership of the House on Thursday in a vote that saw 15 members of her party vote for someone else or for no one at all.

The victory for the newly minted speaker followed an election year where the prospect of her controlling the House became a major point of contention -- appearing frequently in GOP attack lines and in vows from some members of her own party to oppose her in an eventual race for speaker.

Pelosi ultimately received 220 votes in her favor against GOP Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California, the chamber's top Republican. A handful of Republicans opposed McCarthy, with most of that group opting for GOP Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.

Democrats who chose other names

New York Rep. Anthony Brindisi voted for former Democratic Vice President Joe Biden.

Colorado Rep. Jason Crow voted for Illinois Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth.

South Carolina Rep. Joe Cunningham voted for Bustos.

Maine Rep. Jared Golden voted for Bustos.

Wisconsin Rep. Ron Kind voted for Georgia Democratic Rep. John Lewis.

Pennsylvania Rep. Conor Lamb voted for Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Joe Kennedy III.

Utah Rep. Ben McAdams voted for Florida Democratic Rep. Stephanie Murphy.

New York Democratic Rep. Kathleen Rice voted for former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams, the former Democratic nominee for governor.

New York Democratic Rep. Max Rose voted for Duckworth.

Oregon Rep. Kurt Schrader voted for Marcia Fudge.

New Jersey Rep. Mikie Sherrill voted for Bustos.

Virginia Rep. Abigail Spanberger voted for Bustos.

Democrats who voted 'present' or 'no'

Tennessee Rep. Jim Cooper voted "present."

Michigan Rep. Elissa Slotkin voted "present."

New Jersey Rep. Jeff Van Drew voted "no," which was later announced as "present."

The new House and Senate is now seated and sworn in, including Nancy Pelosi as Speaker. My issue is this. Obviously, we can all vote for whomever we choose, vote our conscious, vote our ideals. So, no one, republican or democrat, should feel forced to vote for Pelosi. I do think, however, that the vote should be limited to members of the body that person would be representing. Legally, anyone could be elected speaker, it doesn't need to be a member of congress, but honestly, I think that is a stupid rule (not that anyone in govt has actually asked me what I think...).

I'm hoping that these democratic dissenters have got their hissy fit out of the way and can now get down to business. These new members are bringing a new energy and new ideas with them and should have a seat at the table. Discussion is great. Debate is great. What is not great is constant infighting. It takes away from fighting the bigger enemy.

I have been thinking ever since this thread was started - that spine that is being looked for is likely under the zipper that is in the back of Nancy Pelosi's dress.

13 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

image.png.a5d48114b5164f6845e8120e9cca4fa0.pngCaption this. 

It's not fair! No one told me that Clinton and Stacy from What Not to Wear were working the door.

I love the snarky undertones of Shiff’s statement.

What are the chances of this succeeding?

10 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

What are the chances of this succeeding?

Slim. I am fairly certain that a Constitutional Amendment would be needed.

My youngest follows American politics almost as assiduously as I do. Tonight at dinner DS-3 asks: "Have you seen that video yet?"

Me: "I've heard about it, but haven't seen it myself."

DS-3: "Well, I have, and damn! It's official. She's fiiiiine!"

Wait till he sees this one...

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

My youngest follows American politics almost as assiduously as I do. Tonight at dinner DS-3 asks: "Have you seen that video yet?"

Me: "I've heard about it, but haven't seen it myself."

DS-3: "Well, I have, and damn! It's official. She's fiiiiine!"

Wait till he sees this one...

Awaiting the clutching of pearls that is sure to result not only from the reich wing but the conservadem wing of the party as well.

And I noticed that there's a bit of pearl clutching going on about a new Representative's choice of language about fuck face...

Newly elected Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib exclaimed at an event Thursday that Democrats were going to impeach Trump and used a profane expression to describe him. Pelosi said that she has a "generational" reaction to that language and wouldn't use it, but that she won't censor her colleagues. Pelosi is 78, while Tlaib is 42.

Hey Nancy you might not want to come here then cause you'd hear some very bad language about fuck face and his fuck head groupies.

LOL, no wonder those GOP'ers are so scared of AOC... :pb_lol:

I know I'm late with this one, but I like it. I wish he would run in 2020. He's been calling 45 out a lot lately.  As he should. Note he also reintroduced the tax bill.

Screenshot_20190105-175319_Twitter.jpg

What's the point? Doesn't Trump already have everything that could possibly be used to defend him?

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

What's the point? Doesn't Trump already have everything that could possibly be used to defend him?

I think the GOP is terrified of the damning information that is in those tax returns, and they don't want to be blindsided. They will need to prepare a response, which could be an attempt to defend, but could also very well be an abrupt distancing from the presidunce.

Remembering the Nixon era, I'm willing to bet it will be the latter.

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic

Archived