IGNORED

Make Reading God’s Word Your #1 Priority

mango_fandango

.... because you don’t know when tragedy will strike.

Reader story. She describes her morning, which includes running 5k on a treadmill every day at 6am... after half an hour reading the Bible, of course. One day she did all this as normal... and the following evening she and her husband were in an ambulance, as he’d suffered bleeding on the brain. Doesn’t mention what caused it.

Basically, READ YOUR BIBLE. That’s the most important thing. Not “spend as much time as you can with your family”, make sure you read your Bible everyday.

*eyeroll*

As a religious person myself, I'm more inclined to think prayer should be the #1 priority, not bible reading.

I was more struck by "and make sure you know God's word really well, so you can preach it to people around you, like an ICU nurse who doesn't know God!"

What is nurse-ese for "if you proselytize to me again while I'm trying to do my goddamn job I will shove your tracts so far up your ass they'll show up on your next colonoscopy"? 

That story was pretty confusing. I doesn't really explain why Bible reading is important when tragedy strikes. It doesn't really talk about the tragedy itself. And does it really count as a tragedy if the husband is fine after all?

It sounds like a story Sarah would write, ha!

^^ I know. I had to read it a couple of times to understand it. The story really wasn’t told very well. The bit about the treadmill wasn’t really relevant. 

(Also: I know it may be the only time she has for physical exercise, but I wouldn’t choose to run 5k on a treadmill at 6am!! I’d do it when I wasn’t feeling tired/had more energy :pb_lol:)

I wouldn't walk/run a 5k if my life depended on it...those distances are why God invented cars!

I would run 5K. I do it at least once a week. That said, 6AM is sleep time, not running or Bible time! What's wrong with her!?

She could sleep half an hour longer if she listened to a Bible audiobook while running

48 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

^^ I know. I had to read it a couple of times to understand it. The story really wasn’t told very well. The bit about the treadmill wasn’t really relevant. 

(Also: I know it may be the only time she has for physical exercise, but I wouldn’t choose to run 5k on a treadmill at 6am!! I’d do it when I wasn’t feeling tired/had more energy :pb_lol:)

I do it every day (every other day I run outside, and on the days I'm not outside, it's 2-3 miles on the treadmill plus strength training), but it took me a loooooong time to train my body to be OK with it. I like working out in the morning because then I can have my evenings free to work late if I need to (and now I often need to work late because I work in the UK office of a US firm, so sometimes I'm on calls at 8 or 9pm my time because that's afternoon in the US), or go out with my friends/boyfriend if I want to, without angsting about missing a workout. 

But now I can't sleep in on weekends unless I'm insanely hungover. 

Well, at least they started outsourcing content that's more eventful, but how long will it take them to outsource content that actually makes sense?  I wonder if Sarah has been so stunted in the way of fun that she cannot even recognize when a story is missing a vital piece of information?

But, maybe thed lady that submitted her story actually did tell it thoroughly and this post was a botched Maxwell edit, or a censoring (someone falling and hitting their head is too violent!)   And on top of that, maybe Sarah didn't even get to read the entire story and Teri had it censored already.   The possibilities are endless.

I’m an avid reader. If I couldn’t read for entertainment and was limited to the Bible, I’d go batshit crazy. I understand its appeal to serious theologians and students, but I cast a serious side-eye at all those earnest Christian kids who go on and on about how “exciting!!!!!” it is. Double for those radio pastors who call it things like “God’s love letter to the world” and “the user’s manual for the human race.”

Oh, and the #1 reason why the novel “The Handmaid’s Tale” gave me nightmares: the fact that women were forbidden to read. *shudder*

When I ran a few years ago, I'd run very early in the morning.  When we went to the Adirondacks in July about 12 years ago, I was out the door at 4 or 4:30 AM.  It wasn't full on light yet, but it was light enough to see for my run.  It was also nice and cool (not that it was hot most days anyway) and I'd get back to the house early enough to get a shower before everyone else got up.  I'd much rather run when it's cool outside.

I gotta get back to running.  

On 5/9/2018 at 1:54 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

What is nurse-ese for "if you proselytize to me again while I'm trying to do my goddamn job I will shove your tracts so far up your ass they'll show up on your next colonoscopy"? 

I love this!  My late mom, who was a nurse, probably dealt with this sort of thing as she worked in church-affiliated hospital.   A lot of Jesusy folks.  She wouldn't care for the proselytizing but she would be way too polite to make this threat.   She always told me that I would make a good nurse but I knew I wouldn't be as polite.

I've had my share of patients and their families pushing stuff on me.  Most of 'em got the "thanks but no thanks."   One JW lady gave me a children's book for my kiddo; once Wychling could read, she glanced through at the pictures and thought the stories were fairy tales.  (Now she's a fervent cultural pagan and secular humanist.)

Just reading the title of this thread and my response to that great piece of advice is "nope."

Archived