IGNORED

Seriously, Steve?

Palimpsest

Sooo.....with Steve's apparent horror of seeing "scantily"clad females  on tv,  just what does he do all summer when there might be some females out in public showing a collarbone or a bit of leg OR some cleavage? Must he not venture out of his yard, certainly not to Walmart or Costco lest his uncontrollable lust get the better of him?  Poor Teri.

I hope John and Chelsy continue to watch movies and the like and casually introduce them to Sarah and Annanmary. So ridiculous. There are far, far worse things in this world to be genuinely horrified over other than tv. Steve is so isolated he has lost a normal perspective on the world.

And, you mean to tell me that they don't watch tv-like things on their computers?  Bosh. He's just mad that he can no longer completely control all his adult offsprings' every move. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Steve said:

When you eat something, the taste or nutrition is more important than what it cost in money and calories. 

I realize that for someone counting their calories, anything they eat "costs calories", but it sounds like he doesn't see calories as an important part of food. Calories are just a measure of energy. No energy in, the body stops working.

Plus, there are delicious, flavorful foods that are quite low in calories. Not everything that tastes good is high calorie. A tomato, fresh from the garden is so yummy, but it isn't high calorie. 

(Now I'm worn out on the word "calorie". It doesn't even look like a word anymore. :pb_rollseyes: )

• Upvote 15

12 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Steve should really have been a monk in one of the more restrictive orders. No TV, only prayer and contemplation. He'd have fitted right in. And bonus - no need for either a vasectomy or a reversal!

And please let him be in a monastery that requires absolute silence---a huge win for everyone.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 6

The Carthusians might suit Steve.  They not only practice absolute silence (except for a couple of times a week), but also extreme solitude.  The monks in that order basically have no interaction with their fellow monks.  They do however,  produce Chartreuse so maybe the Carthusians would be out.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I find it funny considering that we never got a "To the Naysayers Part 2":

The first installment of Steve's anti-TV skreed was entitled "FORBID OR NOT? PART 1".

But there was no Part 2. Steve seems to have issues with Part 2s. 

I bet if someone in the family noticed they wouldn't dare tell him.

• Upvote 8

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, Palimpsest said:

Free Jinger ... 

When he browses here these days he dons a hazmat suit and has Teri stand by with a bucket of brain bleach.

And his computer bullshit was just another plug for Accountable2You.  The affiliate link that blesses the Titus2 ministry.

For those who were so shocked by the idea that Steve and Teri monitor computer use, here's Teri back in 2009:  http://articles.titus2.com/news-and-childrens-internet-usage-part-2/

Teri quote:

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, Palimpsest said:

Joseph, John, Anna, and Jesse have e-mail capability on their computers, but they send and receive all their e-mail only through Steve’s computer. This protects them from e-mail spam in general, but particularly from the spam that is morally corrupting. For free e-mail accounts, we have found Gmail to be much less objectionable than many others that offer free e-mail. Many of our family members have Gmail accounts.

I don't get it.  I get the exact same spam emails regardless of which device I log onto Gmail from.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't get it.  I get the exact same spam emails regardless of which device I log onto Gmail from.

No, you have to sort through Teri's usual word salad.  I think she means that when they had free juno or yahoo accounts Steve received more emails from beautiful Russian brides and offers to enlarge his penis.  For some reason she thinks GMail screens that morally corrupting stuff.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

No, you have to sort through Teri's usual word salad.  I think she means that when they had free juno or yahoo accounts Steve received more emails from beautiful Russian brides and offers to enlarge his penis.  For some reason she thinks GMail screens that morally corrupting stuff.  

I was referring to the comment that they access email only through Steve's computer. Did Steve delete their spam for them or what? 

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I was referring to the comment that they access email only through Steve's computer. Did Steve delete their spam for them or what? 

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, I think Steve screens all incoming emails for the immediate family.  He probably deletes the spam and probably only lets emails from known "friends" through unread.  He rather obviously reads all blog comments before Sarah sees them and deletes or edits them before letting Sarah respond to any of them. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, I think Steve screens all incoming emails for the immediate family.  He probably deletes the spam and probably only lets emails from known "friends" through unread.  He rather obviously reads all blog comments before Sarah sees them and deletes or edits them before letting Sarah respond to any of them. 

This is so sick. How would a courtship even *happen* in Maxhell?

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

The first installment of Steve's anti-TV skreed was entitled "FORBID OR NOT? PART 1".

But there was no Part 2. Steve seems to have issues with Part 2s. 

He did write Part 2 but forgot to label it:  http://articles.titus2.com/disdaining-danger-or-embracing-it/

He's also put up parts 3 and 4 of the dangers of the BEAST because he seems to be on a very prolonged rant.

I am anxiously awaiting the next post because he badly needs a new topic.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Sigh....Steve's "business partner" is large enough.  Thank Rufus it's retired from it's prescribed and commanded duty.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He did write Part 2 but forgot to label it:  http://articles.titus2.com/disdaining-danger-or-embracing-it/

He's also put up parts 3 and 4 of the dangers of the BEAST because he seems to be on a very prolonged rant.

I am anxiously awaiting the next post because he badly needs a new topic.

Oh no, I got that. I just think it's hilarious that he didn't continue with his labeling scheme. They actually did a more than one "To the Naysayers", too, but they never labeled it that way. 

It's just another instance of how mediocre Steve really is, despite his protestations of professionalism. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Gmail's automatic spam filter works just fine without Steve or Teri sticking their oars in.

Steve needs to learn to let people learn from their own mistakes.  But he can't learn that because he doesn't think being over-protective is a mistake cos as far as he can see and judge (by his own perspective and criteria), it appears to have worked.

• Upvote 6

On 6/13/2018 at 5:52 AM, Palimpsest said:

I still giggle when I remember that Steve deleted a comment I made on a post about  the baby chicks that one of Nathan's hens had hatched. I asked if they had a rooster or if they'd gotten fertile eggs from someone. I guess that was too much sexy talk for his maiden daughter to see.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 21
  • Love 1

Well, Steve apparently took a week off his Seriously e-mail to recover from his TV related tantrum.  He usually posts it every 7 days on the dot.  I was almost beginning to worry about him!  He has, praise Rufus, found another subject.

Today's epistle is a rather surprising ode to blue collar workers.  Bob makes his mower ballet dance and Chris is a sanitation worker who can throw 24 tons of garbage in a day.  Steve waxes eloquent about their skills in vary poetic terms but hasn't succeeded in converting them yet.

Then he spoils it by being a judgmental asshole.

No matter what you do to provide for your family, give it your all. There isn’t a shortage of jobs, just hardworking people.

I’m not aware of Chris or Bob knowing the Lord Jesus, but this verse would apply greatly to each follower of Christ. “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him” (Colossians 3:17).

So, per Stevehovah, there is no lack of jobs and if you are unemployed you are an idle layabout.  You too could be a manual laborer.

Sorry Steve, but not everyone can drive a mower like a veteran city worker or toss 24 tons of garbage like a fit 20 year old.  Would you even want one of those jobs yourself?  

Perhaps John is looking for work these days.  He hasn't sold a house for ages and his irrigation business seems to be dead in the water.

Is Steve suggesting that he should try one of these jobs?

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Perhaps John is looking for work these days.  He hasn't sold a house for ages and his irrigation business seems to be dead in the water.

Is Steve suggesting that he should try one of these jobs?

If it's in a roundabout, passive-aggressive way, then I'd say yes.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

It seems like all of Steve’s posts lately are passive-aggressive towards John, he’s always been a bit of a rebel and a handful and likes fun and Steve is pissed he has lost all control. I wonder if he ever says anything or just makes these posts? 

By handful I mean normal child behavior growing up. 

Edited by Coconutwater
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

SINKING?

This was posted on June 27, 2018 by Steve Maxwell.

Steve strikes out again.  Perhaps John and Chelsy are staying up past their bedtimes watching movies.  Or perhaps Teri forgot to defrost the pot roast and take the paper off the cheese while Anna and Mary are away.  Moms are just incapable of holding things together per Steve.

“She’s drowning! Quick, someone throw her a ________.”

Why the _________ ?  Doesn't Steve know the words "life preserver"?

People don’t throw a drowning person a brick but something buoyant. Yet, we often hear of moms who are drowning in all they have to do,

But never about dads.  They never drown.

but then Dad (or Mom) makes decisions that are like a brick, guaranteeing she will not succeed.

Wait!  I thought only Dads are allowed to make decisions.  Moms making decisions is bound to sink 'em.  Mom only has to decide to follow Dad's decisions.  

There are all sorts of “good reasons” why bad decisions are made, but the end result is Mom goes down with a gasp.

Bad decisions like reversing vasectomies when your wife is depressed as fuck with only 3 children?

Companies do not succeed when their culture is chaos. Their success takes focus, discipline, and eliminating time wasters. Thriving companies make the hard decisions because they want to continue to exist and produce a profit.

Steve runs his family like a business.  I wonder if he will ever fire one so it can continue to exist profitably.

In your home, it begins with consistent bedtime/wakeup time. A schedule that is lived and habitual ensures the important things are done every day, and it frees Mom’s mind from a host of ongoing decisions.

Apparently even an occasional late night and sleeping in on weekends are very dangerous.  Mom's mind needs freeing from deciding when to start the dinner and the dishes won't get done if the kids aren't in bed by 7:00 pm.

Apparently being a mother knocks every iota of common sense and the ability to make decisions out of all women.  Er, Stevo, Teri was very depressed and your rigid schedule helped her.  Not all women are depressed, not all depressed women are as depressed as Teri was, and certainly not all women fall apart without a rigid schedule.

Using Teri as an example, all I can say is that "early to bed and early to rise will make a Mom meeker and more scheduled than is wise."  She seems completely dependent on it, and not in a good way. 

She seems to find it challenging to sew on a button - if it wasn't on the schedule to have that button fall off in the first place.  And apparently she can't remember that some prefer lettuce wraps for their hamburgers if it isn't on her July 4th shopping list from last year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a schedule and keeping to it.  However, to imply that deviating from the sacred schedule  will cause total chaos in a family is ridiculous.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

From the Bontrager Family Blog. Steve must be thrilled that John's brother in law, this hip handsome young whippersnapper, is horning in on his Christian time management turf.

Joshua.PNG

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Steve must be thrilled that John's brother in law, this hip handsome young whippersnapper, is horning in on his Christian time management turf.

I have developed a strong aversion to young Joshua.  Give him a few years and he'll be almost as obnoxious as Steve.

Steve must be hugely jealous of Josh's ode to his FIL, Papa Bower!   

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Palimpsest said:

I have developed a strong aversion to young Joshua.  Give him a few years and he'll be almost as obnoxious as Steve.

Steve must be hugely jealous of Josh's ode to his FIL, Papa Bower!   

Oh heck yes. And Joshua is only 1-2 weeks away from adding "parent" to his store of wisdom that he can lecture everyone about.

• Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Joshua is only 1-2 weeks away from adding "parent" to his store of wisdom that he can lecture everyone about.

Indeed.  Rufus help us all.    

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 1

Oh, joy!  After I pointed out that Steve had missed June 13th when we were talking about Sarah's Father's Day post - the Maxwells hustled to fill in the gap. 

Hi, Steve!

They must have put this up in the last few days and fudged the dates.

COURAGEOUS LOVE REQUIRED

This was posted on June 13, 2018 by Steve Maxwell.

Not publicly.

It takes courage to be a good leader and be obedient to the Lord.

He must resent @SPHASH's nickname for him.

The Lord’s instructions to Saul were very clear, “Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass” (1 Samuel 15:3). It would have been extremely difficult to carry out this command, but the Lord was clear.

Yeah.  The Lord thy God is a really nasty bit of work in the Old Testament.   That is why I prefer the Jesus of the Gospels: 

"If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” Matthew 5:39

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."  Matthew 5:44

“Blessed are the peacemakers.”  Matthew 5:9

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you.”  John 14v27

And so on.

Yet Saul disobeyed and blamed his disobedience on those he was called to lead. “And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.” (1 Samuel 15:24). Notice a halfhearted confession with no real repentance.

Saul knew that killing all those people was a terrible thing to do.  

Saul gave a great excuse to say he feared the people  – God didn’t buy it. “And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry” (1 Samuel 15:22-23a).

Does Steve confuse Samuel with the vengeful God here?  After all, the OT God was pretty accurate with plagues, pestilence, floods,  thunderbolts, and turning people into pillars of salt when they disobeyed orders.

“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4). God’s command to fathers is equally clear. Ya think?

I think in Paul's interpretation of what "God" might want the command to fathers was very clear - about not pissing children off as you bring them up and nurture them as well as you can.

It is also a good idea not to provoke them to anger by nagging them when they are adults who should be in charge of their own lives, Steve.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

Steve demonstrates his misogyny for us today, and I'm very sure this is a passive aggressive crack at poor Chelsy.

"FAUX BEAUTY."

Picture a sixteen-year-old boy daily spending 30 minutes in front of the bathroom mirror fixing his hair and meticulously grooming facial hair.

I don't have to picture it.  I remember my brother and his two sons going through this stage, although at 16 they didn't have much facial hair worth grooming.  Nephew #1, in particular, was big on gelling his hair in exactly the right style and took longer in the bathroom than his sister.

Then he goes to his closet and picks either tight-fitting or minimal clothing. He wants the girls to stare at his muscles and find him attractive.

He's discovered girls!  And have you taken a look at Jesse's muscles in that defrauding tight shirt recently, Steve.

Would you think that a good thing in light of Scripture? Would you encourage a son like that?

It's a stage.  And it should be encouraged because it's a lot better than the mucky "doesn't see the point of changing his socks" and "personal hygiene is a waste of time" stage a lot of teenage boys go through.

Then why is it good for girls?

There is nothing wrong with wanting to appear well groomed and attractive, unless it is truly excessive. 

Is it because in the world females are ascribed value when they are attractive and sensuous?

Holy crap, I'm afraid I might actually agree with Steve.  However, I notice that even in Steve's world the conventionally attractive women tend to get married much faster than the less conventionally attractive ones.  It's annoying.

For the record, Steve, intelligence, humor, friendliness, and confidence can be even more sensuous than being a raving beauty by conventional standards, let alone heavy make-up and overtly sexy clothing.  

I think that is Chelsy's charm.  Not that Chelsy has ever worn overtly sexy clothing, although I think she could ease up a bit on the fake tan and heavy eye-liner.

Should she see her value based upon something false?

No.  A confident young woman should be able to see her own value even when not wearing a full face of makeup and the latest fashion. 

This really isn't the issue, though.  The problem Steve is having with getting Sarah, Anna, and Mary married off, is that their highly touted virtue, and his excessive control, makes them seem like a lot of scared little mice.  Little mice with daddy complexes, very few social skills and even fewer opportunities to meet eligible men.

The Proverbs 31 woman is praised as an example for women. She is praised because of her virtue, not beauty.

I think there is much virtue in having a brain, educating it, and using it.  Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, anyway.

How are we praising our daughters? What about our wives?

I'm sure Steve only praises his wimmin-folk for being makeup-free, ankle length skirts-only, with no eye-traps anywhere in sight.  And for having servant's hearts. 

And for his daughters not demanding a decent education, and having so little initiative and confidence that they will probably live at home forever.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic