IGNORED

Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero to be named a Saint

47of74

Archbishop Oscar Romero, who had been murdered by right wing death squads is going to be named a Saint. 

Pope Francis has cleared the way for slain Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero to be made a saint, declaring that the churchman who became a hero for standing up for the poor and oppressed should be canonized along with the reformer Pope Paul VI.

Francis signed a decree confirming miracles attributed to two of the most important progressive figures in the 20th-century Catholic Church during a meeting with the head of the Vatican’s saint-making office, the Vatican said Wednesday (March 7).

Francis unblocked Romero’s stalled sainthood case at the start of his pontificate and declared him a martyr in 2015.

The case had been held up for years by the Vatican, primarily due to opposition from conservative Latin American churchmen who feared Romero’s perceived association with liberation theology would embolden the movement that holds that Jesus’ teachings require followers to fight for social and economic justice.

One thing Francis and the Catholic Church has done right.  

Hopefully there will be plenty of butt hurt from the Trump wing of the Catholic church over this as well as the members of the reich here in the US that supported the death squads.  I've got my popcorn ready. 

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

See, here I thought it was Jesus' actual words that say to fight for social and economic justice.

Finally, a modern saint I don’t find morally offensive. On a related note, I’ve been curious whether the SSPX and sedevacantist wings of traditionalism believe that the saints that were canonized post-Vatican II. They’ll certain gnash and wail about the canonization of Oscar Romero, but I would think they’d be totally down with the canonization of the Fátima seers (which happened almost exactly a year ago) given how obsessed trads are with that particular Marian apparition.

Nice! I watched Romero in Catholic school and I think it put off my devonversion for at least a year. Dude was a genuine hero.

What arguments, exactly, do the Traditionalists put up against him? I mean i get that they dont share his politics, but how callous do you have to be to reject a guy who literally died trying to save his congregation from a murderous regime?

On 08/03/2018 at 4:32 AM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Nice! I watched Romero in Catholic school and I think it put off my devonversion for at least a year. Dude was a genuine hero.

What arguments, exactly, do the Traditionalists put up against him? I mean i get that they dont share his politics, but how callous do you have to be to reject a guy who literally died trying to save his congregation from a murderous regime?

I watched the film in RE at school too, he stood up for all his congregation rich and poor and knew he probably would get killed for it. He deserves to be a saint.

49 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I watched the film in RE at school too, he stood up for all his congregation rich and poor and knew he probably would get killed for it. He deserves to be a saint.

It seems he was a Catholic school RE class favourite :D

This is very good.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:32 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Traditionalists tend to be hyper reactionary in a way that would make the Duggars look like hippies. It’s not unusual to find traditionalists who are monarchists, Father Coughlan fans, or support military dictatorships. Even among mainstream conservative Catholics there is a certain amount of apologetics for the Franco regime:

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2014/07/the-uses-of-monarchy-1

Until Vatican II, the official Catholic line was that liberal democracy was a sin and that the Church should never have to reconcile itself to modernity. Post-Vatican II, the Catholic Church has been talking out of both sides of it mouth on this issue, but traditionalists are correct to say that pre-Vatican II held that hierarchy and inequality was part of the created order. Conservatives and traditionalists hate liberation theology because in some iterations it mixes aspects of Marxism with Christianity. The extend to which this occurs varies a lot, but since traditionalists and conservatives extol inequality, any theology calling for equality is a threat. This is one reason why scholars believe Pentecostalism has gained a foothold in Latin America, because Pentecostal ministers tend to be some combination of poor, indigenous, and/or black (ie they understand what it’s like to be dispossessed) whereas the Catholic hierarchy tends to reproduce the racial and socio-economic hierarchies found in secular society (ie cleric are almost always of European or mixed backgrounds).

On 3/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, smittykins said:

Are you sure that's enough popcorn? :pb_lol:

I highly doubt it.  Probably need at least twice that much. 

Archived