IGNORED

A Note to the Reader from Lori Alexander

Curious

On to the inside of the book!

This is where we find the first and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the worst case of editing in the book.

The page numbers are wrong on the index page.  I already knew about this extremely unprofessional editing error as I had read about it.  the person who sent me the book had kindly written in the proper page numbers making looking things up much easier.

The editor that Lori used is supposedly highly regarded and has edited some high profile books, so I'm not sure how something so basic got by him.

Lori starts the book with a note to the readers where she explains what set her on the path from rebellious wife to transformed wife.  If you have read Lori's blog for any length of time this story will not be new to you.  However, you may notice that a few details she shared on her blog are missing.

She tells us that "a few years ago" (12 by my count, Ken says 15 in his contribution at the end of the book) she and Ken were taking a walk and Ken essentially told her he didn't know what their future would look like once all the kids were out of the house.

She notes they were very different from each other and the only things they had in common were the kids various sporting/dancing activities.  This is why you shouldn't marry someone you are really in love (or even like) with just because you think they will keep you in the spoiled lifestyle you have led up to that point in your life.

She doesn't go into the bits about not loving Ken and not having "butterflies" about anyone ever.

She next tells us that problems started on their honeymoon when her adult husband dared to eat "fake cheese spread" on Ritz crackers.  Oh, the humanity!  Again how do you marry someone you know so little about?  Is this the first time Ken has eaten in front of Lori or did he hide his dirty junk food love from her the whole time they were dating because he knew she was a "health nut?"

She goes on to lament that her feelings of discontentment were due to the fact that she and Ken never connected in a meaningful way early on in their marriage.  Perhaps because she didn't really love him, but saw him as a walking ATM?

Thankfully, they had children and each baby gave her more excuses to ignore Ken.  YAY!

After Ken told her the awful truth about their marriage she thought back to other walks when Ken would tell her all the things she was doing wrong.  She hated this because she felt like Ken was trying to "fix" her.  On the previous page, she notes that few things were off limits when it came to her desire to "fix" Ken and make him into the husband she thought he should be.

Self-awareness - Lori is doing it all kinds of wrong

Then she found Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl. On her blog, she tells us that Debi spanked her and taught her what she was doing wrong.  In the book, she uses the word mentored.  She saw the error of her ways and became a transformed wife.

This is why she decided to write her book to help those women that have tried counseling, reading books (the jokes just write themselves) and talking to other women.

It seems to me she could have just recommended people read Debi's book and saved a lot of time, but that wouldn't get Lori the attention she craves.  There is no going viral just recommending someone else's old book now is there?

Next up: Lori's life story!

I took a picture a before I sent it on, so if anyone on here is reading the book, here are the real page numbers. I figured out the page numbers when I was trying to quote the book for all of you when I was doing my review on FJ and Amazon. Some of the chapters are off by 16 pages!

I have taught Microsoft suite and it is super easy to update a table of contents.

20170708_102228.thumb.jpg.05cb6cc6222795c5efaeb578521328eb.jpg

On 1/21/2018 at 12:22 AM, Curious said:

Then she found Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl. On her blog, she tells us that Debi spanked her and taught her what she was doing wrong.  In the book, she uses the word mentored.  She saw the error of her ways and became a transformed wife.

Wait, what? I don't claim to know everything about Lori, but how did I not know this? Good Lord.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:22 AM, Curious said:

This is why she decided to write her book to help those women that have tried counseling, reading books (the jokes just write themselves) and talking to other women.

Pahahaha! :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, BlackSheep said:

Wait, what? I don't claim to know everything about Lori, but how did I not know this? Good Lord.

Pahahaha! :pb_lol:

I didn't have the patience to try and find the quote on her blog (reading it gives me a headache with the all centered text), but maybe @Koala has it handy.   I know it's been posted before, but doing a search on spanked here on FJ yields a lot of results, as you might imagine.

I don't know the exact quote, either, but it was something along the lines of 'Debi spanked me with her words.' :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I don't know the exact quote, either, but it was something along the lines of 'Debi spanked me with her words.' :pb_lol:

That's a much better mental image. Whew.

Found it - it is located on Always Learning. Blog post - Thursday, April 14, 2011 "Created To Be His Help Meet"

But on page 79, Debi states:  "Of course, there are a few men who are so cruel and violent that even when the wife is a proper help meet, he will still physically abuse her or the children. In such cases, it would be the duty of the wife to alert the authorities so that they might become the arm of the Lord to do justice."

Another criticism thrown against them is that Debi is dogmatic and harsh.  She is blunt, but I like that.  I needed that and I think a lot of women do.  I felt like she spanked me and it worked.  I am mentoring two women and they both get offended at some of the things Debi writes and it is difficult to read at times but they love it...It is changing their marriage.  We don't need our ears tickled anymore...We need truth.  This is why I love her book and the Pearl's teachings. 

I can guarantee if I felt like someone spanked me, it would not work with me. I would fight back and be pissed off. 

Archived