IGNORED

Family as Friends

FireIsCatching89

I'd say I'm friends with my brother. Definitely now that we are older it is easier to get along. Only after not being separated for the two years after my parent's divorce did we realise we had things in common.

I think it's possible that the Duggars, Bates, etc. really are friends with each other. I mean, my brother and I know each other really, really well, and that is because we grew up together and shared formative experiences. It's possible that the fundie kids are the same.

My problem with families like the Duggars, Bates, and Maxwell is that the kids don't appear to have friendships outside their families. I don't have a problem with siblings being friends but it can't be forced and there needs to be other friends. Until I was 11 1/2 I only had 2 younger brothers. Perhaps we were friends as very young children but we sure weren't once we got into school. Even today we aren't close. We'd do anything to help one another but close friends, no. We all live in different states. My sister, who was born when I was 11 1/2, did become my best friend when we were adults, and we were very close as kids.

My 3 kids aren't real close to each other as adults. My two sons are, in fact, estranged from one another. They were pretty good friends as kids. My daughter, who is the middle child, is friends with both. All 3 live in different states.

I can't think of any adult siblings I know who are very close friends. Looking back to school days I can't think of any friends who were best friends with siblings. Many were good friends but also had other friends who were just as close, and everyone had a best friend outside the family.

Nell

Archived