IGNORED

At least 20 dead, 100 injured at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

bashfulpixie

Those poor people. How frightening and horrifying, and it's not just the dead and injured who have to suffer, their friends and family are going through hell now too. What a piece of shit. This well calculate and planned out - supposedly the shooter been at the Mandalay Bay since 9/28 with 10 weapons stashed in his room. 

Yes, this POS could have killed people with a rifle or a pistol, but there's no way he would have been able to kill 50 people and injure 400 without assault weapons. There is no reason assault and military weapons should be accessible to the average person. The GOP is so far up the NRAs ass that it's doubtful anything will ever happen. This shit just keeps escalating, though, and it's fucking scary. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I know it's a territory, but it's insane that they have (I'm assuming) all of the responsibilities of U.S. citizens but not all of the rights. That seems unjust.

It's focused more on the financial crisis in Puerto Rico, but John Oliver did a nice summary on Puerto Rico last year. This might not have any info you don't already have, but worth a watch if you haven't seen it (video behind spoiler, I think):

Spoiler

In regards to the topic at hand, such a tragedy. I'm sort of waiting for the social media updates from Southern Californian friends who felt close to the attack for one reason or another. It's just so nightmarish to picture going through that. I used to be able to watch footage from these things, but these days, I just can't bring myself to do it.

I truly hope Nevada reacts appropriately and the discussions that come from this are productive.

16 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

It's focused more on the financial crisis in Puerto Rico, but John Oliver did a nice summary on Puerto Rico last year. This might not have any info you don't already have, but worth a watch if you haven't seen it (video behind spoiler, I think)

John Oliver also has one on the voting rights (or non rights) of the US territories.

Such a tragic loss of life. I wish I believed there would be some sort of policy change after this horrible attack but I'm not holding my breath. 

He stuck to the script, which means very little emotion in his voice. It seems like it was a speech written by a committee, trying to hit all of the right targets. He sort of quoted the Bible, said all of the appropriate "sad" words, threw in a lot of "God". A little odd but thrown together quickly so... Five minutes but it somehow seemed like he went on too long. Going to Vegas on Wednesday.

This is just exhausting. Puerto Rico visit up in the air.

1 minute ago, nvmbr02 said:

John Oliver also has one on the voting rights (or non rights) of the US territories.

Such a tragic loss of life. I wish I believed there would be some sort of policy change after this horrible attack but I'm not holding my breath. 

If nothing changed after Sandy Hook, I don't think it ever will.

Suggestions I've seen on social media to solve our mass shooting problem:

*Ban fireworks
*Limit size of events to well below venue capacity
*Limit actual large events to infrequent special things in designated venues
*Arm more people

I ranted at one of these people. The ban fireworks lady who had quite a detailed explanation of how since some people initially thought the gunfire was fireworks, we'll be safer if we ban fireworks. She and her friends think I'm unnecessarily angry.

5 hours ago, Fascinated said:

My husband and I were in LV just two weeks ago. Every time we walked along the strip we paid attention to the vehicles. The strip would be an ideal candidate for a car attack - there are always hundreds of people waiting to cross busy intersections. But, I was not on the lookout for a gun-toting madman. This is horrific.  So many families going through hell today.  

There was a car attack, just last year. A woman drove her car onto the sidewalk in front of Planet Hollywood. 

Being on the lookout for a gun-toting madman wouldn't have done much. He was in a hotel across the street. It was pretty clear from the videos that no one had any idea where the shots were coming from. So terrifying. People did what they thought was best, which was to duck. But it didn't matter because they were out in the open and the shots reigned down on them.

The perps brother said he had no known political ties.

There is a video of someone saying that before the concert a lady was telling people they were all going to die tonight. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

He stuck to the script, which means very little emotion in his voice.

Give it time for his real feelings to come out. He can't ever hide them for long.

My prediction, he is going to get criticized BIGLY for ignoring Puerto Rico. He is going to lash out on Twitter and say something stupid like how he had to go to LV because they are American. Reporters will ask Sarah to explain why the President doesn't realize the people of PR are Americans. She will babble incoherently and not answer. Trump will grudgingly go to PR when it is way too late. 

ETA: And he will try to use this to lower gun laws. Won't make a lot of sense, but he will do it anyway. 

12 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

*Ban fireworks
*Arm more people

I ranted at one of these people. The ban fireworks lady who had quite a detailed explanation of how since some people initially thought the gunfire was fireworks, we'll be safer if we ban fireworks. She and her friends think I'm unnecessarily angry.

Wow. That list is some sort of special. Sure, instead of banning guns, let's just lower the potential victim pool. Yup. That'll do it. Luckily, so far at least, my Facebook feed has been nothing but sympathy for the victims. I'll optimistically give it a day before I add to the dent in my forehead from the desk banging I'll have to do to keep from verbally strangling some of my relatives.

15 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

*Ban fireworks
*Arm more people

As much as I would love to ban fireworks, I'm not sure it would do much to help with our gun problem. 

Limiting size of events is stupid and also causes more problems - mostly economic. 

Arming more people will do nothing in these situations. Especially this situation. I was surprised that no one whipped out guns until I remembered that guns are usually banned from concerts. Ugh. 

This is terrible. Everything sucks. 

As much as I would love to ban fireworks, I'm not sure it would do much to help with our gun problem. 

Limiting size of events is stupid and also causes more problems - mostly economic. 

Arming more people will do nothing in these situations. Especially this situation. I was surprised that no one whipped out guns until I remembered that guns are usually banned from concerts. Ugh. 

This is terrible. Everything sucks. 

The ban fireworks nonsense is from a former office holder in the state Democratic Party and it is a bunch of liberals completely trashing me for saying that it would do nothing to end mass shootings. Apparently that is a "dangerous" and " angry" opinion

Plus some of them are trying to change the discussion to how fireworks affect those with ptsd which is not relevant to what I responded to.

I can't even right now.

I like how in Germany you can only buy firework during a few days before New Years. 
(EDIT: Not because of mass shootings, but it is harmful for wild animals, pets and bad for the environment, so during New Years is enough. Add the idiot teenagers who like to throw them against themselves and loose various limbs doing so.)

I just found this on Twitter. So true sadly. 

Spoiler

screen.JPG.57ad681f4b42174a9a6e89a6af1dbeb8.JPG

@Gobbles. In most US States you can only buy them at limited times. (Most not all... Missouri sells them year round or close to it, so if your state does too, I get that).

The argument this woman is making is that since some people present said that they initially thought the sound of gunshots was fireworks, banning them will make sure people being attacked won't be confused. Then it turned into firecrackers normalizes gunfire and makes shooters. Now it has turned into all shooters have PTSD and are probably just reacting to fireworks.

The first is just a reduce victims idea. The second makes no sense and many other aspects of our culture make violence seem acceptable. And there is zero data for the last one.

And none of these people want to talk about gun control. It makes me sick.

4 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

@Gobbles. In most US States you can only buy them at limited times. (Most not all... Missouri sells them year round or close to it, so if your state does too, I get 

It's so weird how much firework regulations vary. Indiana has them for sale everywhere. Michigan only has firecrackers and sparklers but people go to Indiana to buy Roman Candles and big explosive devices. Here in the great white North, I think it varies by borough. I've never been a huge fireworks person so I don't really know. They are illegal in my city anyway. 

It wouldn't have helped in this Vegas situation, anyway. Are these people even aware of the facts or did they only read headlines?

1 minute ago, louisa05 said:

The argument this woman is making is that since some people present said that they initially thought the sound of gunshots was fireworks, banning them will make sure people being attacked won't be confused. Then it turned into firecrackers normalizes gunfire and makes shooters. Now it has turned into all shooters have PTSD and are probably just reacting to fireworks.

Oh okay. I get it that a single or a few fire works may sound like shooting. I remember that the volunteers who care for the asylum seekers here were told to talk with them about it. Coming from a war area and "shooting" might cause anxiety or fear, especially with smaller children.

But shooters reaction to firework with a shooting? WTF. 

You have got to be fucking kidding me! What the everloving FUCK?????

Gun Control Advocates Are Speaking Up About a Bill Making it Easier to Buy a Silencer

Spoiler

In the wake of the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, advocates of stricter gun control are criticizing a Republican bill to make it easier to buy silencers.

As news still trickled in about the Sunday night's shooting at Route 91 Harvest Festival at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was one of a number of gun control supporters who raised concerns about the proposed legislation.

"The crowd fled at the sound of gunshots," she tweeted on Monday morning. "Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer."

The bill, known as the Sportsmen's Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act, is a large package that nominally serves to "enhance opportunities" to hunt and fish on federal land. But it also includes provisions that will abbreviate the costly background check required to buy suppressors, often popularly referred to as silencers. State and local taxes and registration requirements on these devices would also be nullified.

The effort to deregulate suppressors is a pet project of Rep. Jeff Duncan, a Republican from South Carolina, who says that he wants to help American hunters avoid hearing loss.

"This legislation is about safety – plain and simple," Duncan said in a statementwhen introducing the suppressor bill that was folded into the SHARE Act. He noted that his own hearing "has been damaged because of gun noise."

Despite the "silencer" name or the depiction in TV and movies, suppressors do not make gunshots silent. Even with a suppressor in place, an AR-15 rifle is roughly as loud as a jackhammer.

Still, debate over the measure was halted this summer, after House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was gravely wounded in a shooting at a congressional baseball game in June. Scalise returned to the House floor last week to applause; afterwards, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi criticized House Republicans for returning to the silencer debate so shortly after his return.

The bill was expected to come up for a vote as soon as this week.

"This legislation is about safety – plain and simple"

Because loss of hearing is so much worse that loss of life, right?

My great uncle piloted landing craft at Normandy on D-Day. Every year on and around the 4th, he spent his time in his basement playing his organ as loudly as possible. One year he was hospitalized and so distraught that the nurses had to find noise canceling headphone for him.

But PTSD and fireworks is now being explained to me and any response I post to any of this nonsense is chalked up to my alleged need to "have the last word in spite of" my "general ignorance ". And no offense to any Baby Boomers here, but this discussion includes the explanation that that generation understands everything and the rest of us know nothing. There are times when I strongly feel we'll be better off when the Boomers just shut it. (Any present thinking company excluded).

Hold up, Puerto Ricans can't vote for president??? What the hell, someone please clue in this ignorant Canadian, how are these people represented?!

Short answer, they’re not. I wrote a longer answer in the Hurricane Maria thread. I’d link you but I’m on tapa with one bar of edge.

Pure evil? Did fuck face ever call that terrorist in Virginia that?

@AnywhereButHere, actually we'd be going back to the days of the Wild Wild Old Western.  Despite the impression you can get from old westerns, the Old West actually had some pretty strict gun control.  For example, it was typical for sheriffs to demand that guns be surrendered at the town line.  Adam Ruins Everything has a  show on this.

40 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Because loss of hearing is so much worse that loss of life, right?

No, but they are legal in places with stricter gun laws. They should be encouraged here, not prohibited

This is not the time to push that through, though. Read the room, legislators. 

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Human life apparently means nothing to the gun lobbyists. 

Or the Congressional whores who love their money.

Or the gun nuts who have personal armories.

Or anyone who voted for tRump.

Archived