IGNORED

Kayleigh McEnany: Press Secretary Number Four

GreyhoundFan

Gee, why am I not surprised?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

She packs a whole lot of stupid into 25 seconds.

• WTF 5

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That's his best?

That's not as good a message as you think it is, sweetie.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

What I recognize is that Trump is a narcissistic whiner who probably needs someone to tie his shoes for him.

I recognize that many people are looking at this administration as a money and power grab, with their own selfish desires being given free rein.  They've happily let Trump surround himself with yes men, and do their best to manipulate him, but each time they have to tell him "no", they lose a bit more control over him.  I bet that many of them are starting to sweat, wondering if they are his next target.  But instead of banding together for the good of the country, they're not sure if they can let go of the corrupt free-for-all they're participating in.  

Some seem to be going all in, determined to keep Trump in power.  Others dither, not sure they like where this is going, but not willing to take a stand.  Maybe they're waiting for someone else to emerge and put a stop to the madness.  But they must know that if the winds change and a Democrat wins the election, Trump might ignite civil war to stay in power.  Will he go after them in a purge?  How soon before his private army stops taking people off the streets and eventually letting them go, instead of taking people who are never seen again?

But if Trump fails and is forced out, they are likely to be forced out as well, and they don't want to have their power taken from them.  They don't want to have to deal with the fallout.  They're cowards who just want to keep on the side of power.  They won't actively work against Trump, won't resign and let others fight the battle, and don't want to go home and cower in their homes reviled and shamed.  They feel trapped.  Maybe some of them are quietly consolidating their wealth and using their connections to determine where to flee.

I recognize that Trump is a laughingstock and the world is watching to see what happens next.

I recognize that I'm feeling embarrassed and ashamed, and wondering just how we got to this point.

So Kayleigh, you keep smugly prattling off the party line.  You're still young and pretty enough to stay on der Führer's good side.  What else are you willing to do to stay there?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Flossie said:

What I recognize is that Trump is a narcissistic whiner who probably needs someone to tie his shoes for him.

I recognize that many people are looking at this administration as a money and power grab, with their own selfish desires being given free rein.  They've happily let Trump surround himself with yes men, and do their best to manipulate him, but each time they have to tell him "no", they lose a bit more control over him.  I bet that many of them are starting to sweat, wondering if they are his next target.  But instead of banding together for the good of the country, they're not sure if they can let go of the corrupt free-for-all they're participating in.  

Some seem to be going all in, determined to keep Trump in power.  Others dither, not sure they like where this is going, but not willing to take a stand.  Maybe they're waiting for someone else to emerge and put a stop to the madness.  But they must know that if the winds change and a Democrat wins the election, Trump might ignite civil war to stay in power.  Will he go after them in a purge?  How soon before his private army stops taking people off the streets and eventually letting them go, instead of taking people who are never seen again?

But if Trump fails and is forced out, they are likely to be forced out as well, and they don't want to have their power taken from them.  They don't want to have to deal with the fallout.  They're cowards who just want to keep on the side of power.  They won't actively work against Trump, won't resign and let others fight the battle, and don't want to go home and cower in their homes reviled and shamed.  They feel trapped.  Maybe some of them are quietly consolidating their wealth and using their connections to determine where to flee.

I recognize that Trump is a laughingstock and the world is watching to see what happens next.

I recognize that I'm feeling embarrassed and ashamed, and wondering just how we got to this point.

So Kayleigh, you keep smugly prattling off the party line.  You're still young and pretty enough to stay on der Führer's good side.  What else are you willing to do to stay there?

I love this comment. You hit the nail on the head. Never have we had “leader” of this obvious ilk, and it is interesting to watch those in his current identified “party” Squirm and deal with the association. As a left leaning independent, I am in the front row with my popcorn, while quietly thanking the Lord that Trump doesn’t currently identify as a left leaner, because I’m not sure party Dems would be dealing any better. What Trump has done is take advantage of everyone with the exception of the silver spoon billionaire crowd. I think that the Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz’s of the world silently realize it. 

I also agree he is an embarrassment to our country and on the world stage. And as a frequent foreign traveler, if his name comes up, which it often does in conversation, I make it be known that neither I nor the majority of Americans voted for him.

• Upvote 8

@Flossie, what an excellent summary! 

I'm reminded of the monkey trap story.   

To capture a monkey, drill a hole in a coconut and put rice (or whatever the monkey really likes) inside. The monkey reaches in and grabs it, can't get it's clenched fist back out through the hole but won't let go, so it's trapped. 

That's where the GOP is today.  They have their hand in the coconut and can't let go of what's inside. 

Mitch McConnell has held up funds for states to use to improve election security, signaling he has zero belief in election integrity. 

Voter suppression is in full swing.  The Post Office (THE POST OFFICE!) is being dismantled to impede mail-in voting. Most in-person voting will be done on hackable voting machines. And on and on. 

The ONLY time I put on my tin-foil conspiracy hat is to contemplate that Mitch McConnell refused to entertain Merrick Garland as a Supreme Court nominee because he knew the fix was in and that Trump would be elected

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

She says all this crap with a straight face:

• WTF 4

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

She says all this crap with a straight face:

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

George Orwell

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

"Kayleigh McEnany is the camera-perfect embodiment of Trump’s message: Everything is fine"

Spoiler

The press secretary for the Trump White House has hit maximum gloss. Kayleigh McEnany is the spokesperson that an image obsessed-president has longed for but who had proved to be terribly elusive.

McEnany has settled into the job. Her style has become familiar to the public: She does not particularly like sleeves. She prefers bold colors.

She strides onto the podium with great confidence holding her binder of — what? They are bits of free-floating information that she matches with a reporter’s query in a game of high-wire Mad Libs. She believes that a fusillade of data points and exaggerations is a perfectly fine way to not answer a question.

McEnany is Trumpism delivered with a smiling, telegenic unruffled aplomb at a time when there’s very little to smile about and quite a lot to be ruffled by. She is the picture-perfect face in an administration filled with funhouse mirrors. Everything is great. Everything is fine. She is the duck gliding across the water while her colleagues paddle furiously below the surface.

On Thursday, McEnany walks into the briefing room in her standard uniform: a sleeveless sheath, this one purple, with a little cross hanging around her neck, and lush TV-ready eyelashes. After a quick greeting to reporters, she briefly relinquishes the lectern to the room’s guests, who speak on the fresh news of the day: The White House has brokered an agreement between Israel and the United Arab Emirates. Senior adviser Jared Kushner and national security adviser Robert O’Brien offer remarks, praise the president’s leadership, muse about the Nobel Peace Prize and promise that an official White House signing ceremony is in the not-too-distant future.

O’Brien is the white-haired guy in a suit. Kushner is the ghostly presence. Listening to O’Brien, Kushner stands immobile with his arms dangling at his sides. His fingers don’t move; they don’t even twitch. They hang awkwardly, resting against a body with a stillness that belies the human need to breathe. When Kushner speaks about the significant international development, his hands take flight, moving through the air in a slow-motion, gentle pantomime. His expression doesn’t change as he talks of serious concerns. But he does laugh at a reporter’s question even though it wasn’t remotely funny. Otherwise, his brow never furrows. His face is as unperturbed as a shimmering lake.

When the questions turn to economic relief, the apparition and O’Brien depart and McEnany is back in her usual place, pointing her manicured finger at various reporters as a signal to lob their questions. In response to an inquiry about the administration reimbursing states for the deployment of the National Guard, McEnany notes, “The president supports the men and women of the National Guard.”

When asked why it’s such a problem for regular Americans to vote by mail when McEnany herself did so, she says, “I vote by absentee,” as if to suggest that her absentee ballot was delivered by carrier pigeon. And she makes sure to use “Democrat” as an adjective, as a pejorative — just like the president. It’s a way of signaling to people that she’s speaking of the opposition party — those terrible, awful public servants who want to do terrible things to good and righteous Republicans — and not the founding principles of this country.

In her most recent usage, she accused the president’s antagonists of a proposal that would, among other things, make “ballot harvesting mainstream”: “It was a Democrat wish list,” she exclaimed.

It’s a petty tic that must surely set every grammarian’s teeth on edge.

The current presidential flack is a far cry from Trump’s first. Sean Spicer was not out of central casting. He was more than willing to paint the precise word-pictures that the president desired, beginning by inflating the size of Trump inauguration crowd, but he did so looking a fright. Spicer’s gray suit was so terribly ill-fitting and poorly constructed that it became a synecdoche for the sad-sack man himself. Spicer was not a smooth talker; he tended to stumble over his words. During briefings, he had the anxious expression of someone trying to talk his way out of a lousy situation.

The upgrade was the short-lived communications director Anthony Scaramucci. He had the glamour for the big stage — the product-enhanced hair, the tailored suits, the swaggering patois — but he did not know when to stop talking. He vented to a reporter on the record and ultimately blah-blah-blahed himself out of a job.

Sarah Sanders was his successor. In her public appearances, she was disdain and impatience draped in an A-line dress and pearls. Then along came Stephanie Grisham. If a press secretary doesn’t do regular press briefings, does she even exist?

And finally, McEnany. She has an impeccable presence. She dresses in the style that mirrors that of so many television anchors. Her aesthetic blurs the line between news gatherers and this news spinner. She’s the president’s personal afternoon broadcaster. Believe her, not the dutiful folks who sit politely waiting to be recognized. McEnany is constantly aware of cameras — rarely grimacing, frowning or allowing her face to settle into any expression other than a pleasant one, even if her words are unsettling. She is the face of a White House whose singular message is: Everything is great. Everything is fine.

McEnany is out there telling the president’s story in the manner he prefers. It looks terrific on TV.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does she really think that this rude behaviour is convincing? What is she attempting here? Disdain for the press? As if we didn't know that already. But go ahead, Kayleigh, be on your worst behaviour. It just confirms what we already think of you.

I really hope that someday soon nobody will show up for these so-called press-co's. 

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

She does seem to be going for a record.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

My brain has recently started  pulling up the second verse from the theme song to the Patty Duke Show, slapping some new lyrics in, and playing them on a loop in my head.

The actual second verse is:

But they're cousins,

Identical cousins all the way.

One pair of matching bookends,

Different as night and day.

In my head I hear:

But she's Kayleigh,

Kayleigh McEnany, damn she lies!

Flips through her book of falsehoods,

Smirks as she spreads denial.

• Upvote 7

The magical imaginary health care plan...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Is this parody? It's gotta be parody, right? Right??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Is this parody? It's gotta be parody, right? Right??

He is. He wears his evil like a Broadway marquee. 

• Upvote 7

My word, Kayleigh is dumb. She doesn't know the difference between a Rhodes Scholar and someone attending Rhodes College.

Spoiler

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany inaccurately called Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett a “Rhodes Scholar” Thursday, then walked the statement back.

Barrett attended Rhodes College for her undergraduate degree before moving on to Notre Dame for her law degree. A Rhodes Scholar is someone who earns the prestigious international scholarship to study at the University of Oxford in England.

When pressed on the mix-up during a Thursday’s press briefing, McEnany first referred to her notes, saying, “That’s what I have written here.”

“She attended Rhodes College,” said a reporter, prompting McEnany to say, “Attended Rhodes College. So, my bad.”

The gaffe lit up social media, where Talking Points Memo’s Josh Marshall joked, “I was also a Rhodes Scholar because I went to graduate school in Rhode Island.”

Others pointed out that Fox News made the same error while reporting on Barrett’s nomination last week when an on-air graphic referred to her as a “Rhodes scholar.”

President Donald Trump nominated Barrett last week, eight days after Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died.

Barrett is a conservative 7th Circuit appeals judge from Indiana who has been a federal judge for three years. Early in her career she also served on George W. Bush’s legal team in the Bush v. Gore decision that handed the presidency to Bush despite his popular vote loss in 2000.

In his announcement, Trump described Barrett as a “towering intellect” who had “unyielding loyalty to the Constitution.”

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

When pressed on the mix-up during a Thursday’s press briefing, McEnany first referred to her notes, saying, “That’s what I have written here.”

If we ever got a hold of her book, we could add all sorts of fuckery for Kayleigh to read aloud to the press. :dancing-demon:

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

If we ever got a hold of her book, we could add all sorts of fuckery for Kayleigh to read aloud to the press. :dancing-demon:

I say just take her book and make her wing it. 

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

Surely Kayleigh isn't lying; she's always so honest. /sarcasm

• Upvote 5

Trump hard at work= gobbling up McD’s and slurping Diet Coke all while surfing cable TV channels.

• I Agree 4