IGNORED

How to get some experience writing online?

Vex

Hi guys,

I'm kind of at my wit's end. I'm studying one class at a time and the end is nowhere in sight. I'm physically disabled and have mental health issues that prevent me from working but I don't want to sit here doing nothing with my life.

I've always loved to write, and I've always done well academically with all facets of writing so I was thinking maybe I could hone my skills online and maybe see if I can eventually make it into a job on a small scale. It wouldn't have to pay, I'd just like to write somewhere and build up a portfolio with non-paying samples of published work so I can one day and apply for paying jobs.

I just have absolutely no idea how to go about it. I love creative writing but haven't done it in years. I'm probably better suited to writing articles than short stories (I would need to work on my creative writing with peers reviewing my work, whereas I get feedback all the time from my university about my papers). Writing is such a competitive and over-saturated field online but I'm not looking to become a blogger or work for big sites. I'm not even looking for a job that pays.

Any ideas on how I can go about this? I know I need sample work, but I have no idea what constitutes a sample.

• 7 months later...

I'm not really sure how to get started with that, outside of being a blogger. But I did have a blog a few years ago (and I just started a new one) and it really helped me. It's a good way to learn to  write for an audience on a smaller scale before moving up to something bigger. 

Sorry that I can't be of much help beyond that. 

Archived