IGNORED

Need picnic recipe for a crowd

MarblesMom

Hello fellow FJ chefs:

I am headed to a family reunion picnic this weekend and need to bring a dish to share.  I am so over potato salad, pasta salad and the like.  

Does anyone have a go-to, fairly simple recipe for something other than the typical picnic food?   

TIA :D

this is kind of dessert-y, and you have to like cottage cheese, but I've had success with it: 

California Jello 

combine in large bowl:  16 oz cool whip, 16 oz cottage cheese, 2 cans mandarin oranges (drained), and 2 packages orange sugar free jello mix*.  optional--small can of well-drained crushed pineapple.  chill for about half an hour.  this is a double batch.

*just throw in the powder; and be sure to use sugar free--the regular kind doesn't blend right. 

you can choose the fat-content and curd size, and swap out the oranges for strawberries or raspberries.  I've also used lime jello with oranges. 

have fun this weekend!!

I'm not sure if it counts as "typical" picnic food, but I like bean dips and cut veggies. You can expand a hummus recipe, a white bean spread, or a black bean spread with almost no fuss. 

This is an easy and tasty white bean dip that could be quickly multiplied:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-dip-with-pita-chips-recipe.html

(I always use dried parsley)

I tend to like to take things that are lighter and healthier because the food tends to be so heavy and mayo based. 

I've also used this brownie recipe with great success and it feeds a lot- multiple pans wouldn't be too fussy:

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/04/lunch-lady-brownies.html

Kind of more of the same but I make a hot potato salad with dinner sometimes that's also really good cold. Instead of a mayo base I dress it with vinagrette, whatever kind sounds good at the time. I use a ton so the potatoes can soak it all up. It's delicious and a nice change of pace 

Thanks, everyone! :D  I think I am set now.  I knew I would find inspiration here.

Garbanzo (Chick Pea) Salad

• cooked garbanzo beans (canned with salt added is fine--drain water first)
  • carrots peeled and sliced in rounds, raw or steamed briefly. (not canned)
  • lime and olive oil dressing (2 parts olive oil to one part fresh lime juice, minced garlic, oregano, white pepper and salt to taste) OR oridinary Italian dressing.
  • chopped green onions
  • chopped parsley or cilantro
  • bed of fresh spinach (or your salad green of choice) OPTIONAL

You want about two or three carrot rounds (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) for each 1/2 cup of cooked garbanzos.  

Mix the carrots, garbanzos and the green onions in enough dressing to coat and flavor.  Ideally, leave overnight in the fridge.  Add the parsley about an hour before serving.   

You can serve on a bowl of green spinach for a more "complete" contribution or just serve the bean salad.

It is usually appreciated by vegans (I know too many) but it also goes really well with ham and barbecue.

This Fumi Salad was always a go to for all our church functions:

Fumi Salad

This is an excellent salad to take to potlucks.

Try adding shredded chicken for a hardier dish.

1 med head green cabbage  ( To make it faster I use 2 pkg of coleslaw mix)

8 green onions

2 oz pkg slivered almonds

1/2-cup sesame seeds

2 pkg. Top Ramen noodles (any flavor) Throw the flavor packets out, just use the noodles. 

Dressing

4 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper (fresh ground)

½ cup seasoned rice vinegar (Nakano)

1/2-cup salad oil

1/4-cup sesame oil

Cut cabbage and green onions.  Toast almonds and sesame seeds.  Put noodles in a zip-lock bag and crush. Discard flavor packets.

Dressing:  Combine the sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved, then add oil and whisk until blended.  

Combine cabbage and onion in bowl and toss with dressing.  Just before serving add almonds, sesame seeds and noodles so noodles remain crunchy.

Serves: 8-10

@anniebgood we LOVE this salad!  We call it Brian's Salad, for some reason.  I know it will be there for our enjoyment, in all its glory! (Seriously, folks, if you haven't tried this recipe before - DO IT.)

@MarblesMom I can't tell you how many I've made over the last 30 years or so. Wedding receptions that were potluck, church suppers and my daughter took it work for her co-workers. I think it was called Fumi Salad because of the large Japanese population in the next town over and someone got it from a friend. 

And for every smorgasbord our church had, until they stopped due to the age of the ladies group, I was the only person who made cabbage rolls.The only person in our family that would eat them was my Hungarian stepdad, but it always went over well at church. 

Oooh cabbage rolls sound good!  

I made "Orange Fluff" (cottage cheese salad) and the brownies and they were .... devoured!  Thanks again for the recipes.

My go to is a black bean corn salsa. 

Standard chopped salsa- tomatoes, onion. Garlic, jalapeño, cilantro then add black beans, defrosted frozen corn, chopped red pepper, andlime juice or cider vinegar in a pinch. 

I like it cuz it won't spoil in the sun, and it's a healthy but still tasty option. I think I want to try some of the recipes here.

Eta: I just realized you already made fluff! I bet that was awesome too. 

On June 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM, catlady said:

this is kind of dessert-y, and you have to like cottage cheese, but I've had success with it: 

California Jello 

combine in large bowl:  16 oz cool whip, 16 oz cottage cheese, 2 cans mandarin oranges (drained), and 2 packages orange sugar free jello mix*.  optional--small can of well-drained crushed pineapple.  chill for about half an hour.  this is a double batch.

*just throw in the powder; and be sure to use sugar free--the regular kind doesn't blend right. 

you can choose the fat-content and curd size, and swap out the oranges for strawberries or raspberries.  I've also used lime jello with oranges. 

have fun this weekend!!

I haven't had this in years, now I am craving it!

Archived