IGNORED

Supreme Court Abortion Decision

Cleopatra7

There will be no exceptions for rape or incest:

Oklahoma state lawmakers passed a bill on Thursday that would make it a felony for doctors to provide abortions, unless a woman's life is in danger or she has had a miscarriage that needs to be removed. There are no exceptions for rape, incest, or the woman's health.

Related What Donald Trump, and most Republicans, don't understand about abortion "exceptions"

The bill defines abortion as "unprofessional conduct" for a physician, which means that performing one could be grounds for losing your medical license. Oklahoma's existing felony abortion law punishes non-physician care providers with up to three years in prison for performing an abortion. The new law, however, would include physicians for performing abortions.

So if you're a doctor, you risk both losing your medical license and going to jail if you provide abortions. In practical terms, that means the new bill is a total ban on abortion.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/26/11510874/oklahoma-abortion-outlaw-felony-doctors

Good to see that OK has solved poverty, crime, reformed its educational system, gotten health care for its citizens and has pristine infrastructure. I mean, that's the only way it's legislatures could be fucking around passing plainly unconstitutional laws that will require buckets of tax payer funds to litigate and ultimately lose in court. Right?

I hope the women of Oklahoma respond the way the women of Indiana have to our new anti-abortion bill, by mobilizing to vote those assholes out of office. We already defeated two people who wrote the bill in the primary!

11 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I hope the women of Oklahoma respond the way the women of Indiana have to our new anti-abortion bill, by mobilizing to vote those assholes out of office. We already defeated two people who wrote the bill in the primary!

Most of the women here probably won't. This state has this amazing ability to silence anyone who dare to think differently. Actually almost every politicians in this state will not listen to a voter if the voter sides on different things. I got about 8-10 emails responses from one polictian from Oklahoma who blantely didn't read what I wrote and in one it felt like he was calling me a maroon for my stance. Only one polictian I have contacted actually responded with a reply that was clear he read what I wrote and did not see me as an imbecile.

Also if you are willing to do any digging you'll find that Oklahoma has probably passed multiples bills that could be found unconstitutional just this year. There is also another measure going through to teach every student in the state about "an abortion-free society".

22 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Now if we can get that douchecanoe Pence out of office.....

For such "fiscal conservatives" they sure piss away lot of money. :562479528aee8_32(4):Why don't they outlaw vasectomies and anti impotence drugs? Yeah, that will be a cold day in hell when that will happen.

11 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

Now if we can get that douchecanoe Pence out of office.....

I know people who actually voted for Pence who are activity fundraising and campaigning for his opponent because they're so angry about the anti-abortion bill. Multiple people, in fact. It gives me so much hope. 

On 5/21/2016 at 1:03 AM, RoseWilder said:

I know people who actually voted for Pence who are activity fundraising and campaigning for his opponent because they're so angry about the anti-abortion bill. Multiple people, in fact. It gives me so much hope. 

Almost everyone I know, wants him out of the Governor's office. Between his anti-abortion bill, and his religious freedom bill last year.....

I had to ask MrSnazzy last night, if Pence has done anything beneficial for the state, because those two things, are the only thing I see.

Unfortunately, our Governor only vetoed due to a technicality.  Of course, our legislature will probably attempt to override the veto by May 27th.  They try to wear us down each session, we will never give them a free pass, they will have to work hard to defend their hate and discrimination. We must continue to organize, and attempt to vote them out, every.single.election.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2016/05/21/3780610/oklahoma-abortion-felony-veto/

Fallin made clear that her issue with the measure, Senate Bill 1552, was entirely with its less-than-specific phrasing.

“Although Senate Bill 1552 excludes a mother’s threat of self-harm from the exception preserving the life of the mother, Senate Bill 1552 does not define ‘necessary to preserve the life of the mother,'” she wrote in her veto message. “The absence of any definition, analysis or medical standard renders this exception vague, indefinite and vulnerable to subjective interpretation and application.” Fallin added that state court precedent requires that laws be clear enough “that all persons of ordinary intelligence” can understand them.

In other words, Fallin objected only to the fact that there might be cases where it was not clear that the procedure was necessary to save a life.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/gov-mary-fallin-vetoes-controversial-abortion-bill/article_62a5074f-a8ed-5357-8401-b844daa478d1.html

An attempted veto override between now and the required end of the session on May 27 is “obviously something that will be discussed and I hope we pursue it,” he said.

An override attempt would have to start in the Senate.

The Legislature can override a veto with a two-thirds majority in both chambers, 68 votes in the House and 32 in the Senate.

Senate Bill 1552 passed in the Senate by a vote of 33-12, while the vote in the House was 59-9 with 33 members excused.

This is why we need pro-choice Supreme Court justices.

But remember, guys. There's NO difference between the democrats and republicans. NO difference at all.

I re-watched and re-read "The Handmaid's Tale" recently because of all these attempts to use religion to control women's choices. So far, they have been thwarted by the Supreme Court, but it would take only two appointments to change that. It's worrying to me and "The Handmaid's Tale" has never seemed more relevant as a cautionary tale to those who think the religious threat against women's autonomy is no big deal. It is a big deal and I want the next Supreme Court to rule decisively to eliminate this threat.

• 5 weeks later...

Is anyone else here watching Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt?  The Supreme Court will hand down its decision on Monday at 10am, and it could essentially make Roe v. Wade a moot point.  Who cares if you technically have a right to a legal abortion if the politicians in your state can just pass endless TRAP laws until all of the clinics have to close?  That right becomes meaningless if you can't exercise it.  In other words, SCOTUS: why Presidential elections REALLY FUCKING MATTER.

@dramallama: please excuse me, but just *where* do you get off on allowing adult women (any economic class) to permit authority over their own bodies? You are completely UnGodly, you know? We gurly-types are but helpless femme wimmens, and apparently we don't have DaMajorBrainzzzzz to decide what to do in case of an unwanted pregnancy.

You need to speak to our (Male) headships and humbly beg for their opinions---and let them make the decisions!

Personally, I think abortion is a very troubling choice--but some women do feel elective termination of pregnancy is best, all things considered.  

ELECTIVE ABORTION ON DEMAND, AND WITHOUT APOLOGY!

Today's SCOTUS ruling sets a precedence, so something like this could be appealed if it goes through. It might be deemed unconstitutional given how they ruled today.

After the Supreme Court did their thing on Texas now they've told Mississipi and Wisconsin to get lost on their abortion restrictions by not hearing their appeals;

rawstory.com/2016/06/supreme-court-rejects-two-new-abortion-cases/

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday let stand lower court rulings that blocked restrictions on doctors who perform abortions in Mississippi and Wisconsin a day after the court struck down a similar measure in Texas.

The laws in both states required doctors to have “admitting privileges,” a type of difficult-to-obtain formal affiliation, with a hospital within 30 miles (48 km) of the abortion clinic. Both were put on hold by lower courts. The Mississippi law would have shut down the only clinic in the state if it had gone into effect.

The laws in Texas, Mississippi and Wisconsin are among the numerous measures enacted in conservative U.S. states that impose a variety of restrictions on abortion.

With its ruling on Monday, the court gave its most stout endorsement of abortion rights since 1992. Conservative Justice Anthony Kennedy joined the court’s four liberals in the 5-3 decision.

Ha ha.  Up yours Scott Wanker.

Abortion--the deliberate ending of a pregnancy---is sad, by any road I know.  If you hate abortion like the holy saints hate sin, then work like heck to make it superfluous!---which means lots of good, reliable, easily-accessible contraception, and a whole hell of a lot of Very Caring and Tolerant people for backups. (YAY!, fostering people! Eleventy!):happy-cheerleaderkid:

For everyone who weeps in the night and who begs to hold a borned-child in their arms: may I ask my Admittedly Weird Deity to look in on you and send grace, strength, blessings, and everything else needful and wonderful?--may you have your heart's wish, and maybe be open to caring for, uuuuuh, kids with challenges, as the Eternal gives you grace and strength?

But nonetheless: abortion on demand, and without apology.

Archived