IGNORED

More fundie bride weirdness

Daenerys

I think it looks absolutely ridiculous when older brides wear the whole Cinderella/Princess-bride outfit with a big white dress and a veil. That looks great on younger brides and very much like mutton dressed as lamb if you are not.

And since the crown and veil actually are symbols for virginity, I think it looks very strange when a mother of 18 is wearing it. :shock:

I'm 37 now and definately have given up the thought of a white dress and my mother's lovely lace veil if I get married. Would have looked great ten, or even five, years ago, but not on a soon-to-be middle aged woman with an unbotoxed naturally aged face.

If I get married, I want a knee-lenght grey lace dress with a coat over and a funny hat à la princess Beatrice or something like that. Seems more appropriate for my age and style.

Just to inject some reality, white wedding dresses have nothing to do with purity. They became popular as an ostentatious display of wealth for being so impractical that they could only be worn once.

We can thank Queen Victoria for that.

I find it hilarious that every single episode of Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta has a bride and her family wanting a white wedding dress to show 'purity'. Then they'll choose some fairy tale stripper gown. Shake it virgin baby!

I'm 37 now and definately have given up the thought of a white dress and my mother's lovely lace veil if I get married. Would have looked great ten, or even five, years ago, but not on a soon-to-be middle aged woman with an unbotoxed naturally aged face.

If I get married, I want a knee-lenght grey lace dress with a coat over and a funny hat à la princess Beatrice or something like that. Seems more appropriate for my age and style.

Clementine, I felt the same way when I got married. I was about 5 months pregnant and thought I'd look funny walking down the isle in a white wedding dress. So, I bought a really pretty green (knit) dress with cream trim. I think I looked pretty good considering by belly was getting out there. (And, in my case, I got married at city hall. So, I skipped the church wedding.)

Just to inject some reality, white wedding dresses have nothing to do with purity. They became popular as an ostentatious display of wealth for being so impractical that they could only be worn once.

Yeah, no one wore white until Queen Victoria set that trend. Even 100 years ago it was very normal not to have a white wedding dress. That's one reason why I hate it when people say that when a couple has already lived together or it's the woman's second marriage the bride shouldn't wear white. It's also really sexist; why should the state of the bride's virginity be on display but not the groom's?

Clementine, I felt the same way when I got married. I was about 5 months pregnant and thought I'd look funny walking down the isle in a white wedding dress. So, I bought a really pretty green (knit) dress with cream trim. I think I looked pretty good considering by belly was getting out there. (And, in my case, I got married at city hall. So, I skipped the church wedding.)

Ooh, Chrystal, that dress sounds pretty! Would you want to show us -with all identifying features blurred out, of course?

Did you continue to wear your dress on other occasions? Like, a random Tuesday? ;)

Ha, I love bride craziness on one hand cause it's so OTT and hate it on the other hand cause it's an example of the stresses society puts women under.

Clementine, your idea sounds great. When my mum and dad got married she was 21 and he was 30. It was a registry office job, he wore a suit and she had a sort of pink twinset thing on (it was 1979). Afterwards they went to the pub, my dad had a couple of pints and my mum white wine spritzers, then they went home. Nice and simple. ;)

Crystal-J, your dress sounds beautiful and I am glad that I am not the only one who has "given up" on a big white wedding dress.

Clementine, your idea sounds great. When my mum and dad got married she was 21 and he was 30. It was a registry office job, he wore a suit and she had a sort of pink twinset thing on (it was 1979). Afterwards they went to the pub, my dad had a couple of pints and my mum white wine spritzers, then they went home. Nice and simple. ;)

JesusFightClub, that sounds just like my kind of wedding! :)

We can thank Queen Victoria for that.

I find it hilarious that every single episode of Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta has a bride and her family wanting a white wedding dress to show 'purity'. Then they'll choose some fairy tale stripper gown. Shake it virgin baby!

Like Courtney Stodden's?

When Del Greco and I married, we had both been married before and I'd had the big white wedding. A very small wedding would have been nice, but there were people I would have had to invite that were not welcome so we eloped. For my dress, I went to Little India and bought a peachy pink skirt and blouse outfit trimmed with lace and gold called a lengha choli. The judge came to our house, the only witnesses were the cats, and we went for a romantic italian dinner afterwards.

That whole episode was a disaster! It made me feel so bad for the people working there and the other people shopping there. If you've read my comments on other blogs, you know that I am extremely tolerant of kids doing annoying things in public, but this crosses a line even for me. This is a time when the little kids should not have been dragged along.

I think so too. Those wee ones were expected to sit nicely for an indeterminate amount of time for no good reason at all (unless you count ratings). Not only is it miserable for them, it makes the experience less fun for everybody. I tried to "pop in" to a Victoria's Secret once, while my husband waited with our boys, who were in the double stroller. One of them thought a stack of black satin bras were yarmulkes, and tried to put one on his head.

These were little guys who could sit through church services, behave in a restaurant, and generally do okay in a public setting. There's just something about having kids wait while mommy tries on a few things that seems to up the boredom quotient.

I think the whole white=purity thing is funny since white started being THE color to show wealth not purity. If I ever did a vow renewel I wouldn't wear a big white wedding dress because it just seems weird to me.

p If I ever did a vow renewel I wouldn't wear a big white wedding dress because it just seems weird to me.

Wedding vow renewals are fairly common in the Catholic church. I have never known any wife to wear a wedding dress. That is just too bizarre.

Nell

In real life, Michelle and Jim Bob had a buffet dinner (or something similar--very low key and inexpensive) with friends and family in June for their 25th anniversary (or so I heard from TWOP). It was TLC's idea to do the vow renewal so they could have the tie-in with Say Yes to the Dress.

When my kids were young, and we went to a place where they had to sit and wait, I always bought something to entertain them with like small toys and books. Why didn't the Duggars do something like that?

Because it makes better television to watch the howler monkeys squirm. Fame whoring means you put your spawn in situations where they're bored so you can make money/play "Princess Bride". When Her Maj was little, I loved those little puzzles that are in packages not much bigger that a deck of cards. By the time dinner arrived, the puzzle was put together and the in-laws were awed by Her Maj's incredible skill with spatial relationships.

Okay... so all the kissing on television is modest? I guess I don't get the whole modesty-thing.

Wow, what's up with all those piqué polo shirts? Everyone in the family has them and wears them? Oh my eyes, my eyes :shock:

Okay... so all the kissing on television is modest? I guess I don't get the whole modesty-thing.

Wow, what's up with all those piqué polo shirts? Everyone in the family has them and wears them? Oh my eyes, my eyes :shock:

I don't get that either. It really doesn't make sense to me.

Archived