IGNORED

Opus Dei

emmyfair

I think my old boss was OD. He was obsessed with pre vatican 2 stuff, and would get in this insane arguments with me about the roles of women in the Church. My grandfather is a priest, who growing up I thought was conservative and even he couldn't hold a light to this guy.

I don't understand how to Vatican does crack down on them as a cult. I know people that consider themselves OD and seem to be 'normal' otherwise, but they have always struck me as a little...off. I would think that the Vatican would do whatever possible to keep the Church from getting MORE bad publicity.

My grandfather is a priest, who growing up I thought was conservative and even he couldn't hold a light to this guy.

What kind of priest? Catholic priests cannot be married. Orthodox, like Greek or Russian can. Episcopal priests can also be married.

Nell

A man can be ordained later on in life if he is widowed or if a married priest converts from Orthodox or Episcopalian, he can still be married.

A man can be ordained later on in life if he is widowed or if a married priest converts from Orthodox or Episcopalian, he can still be married.

True, also Lutheran pastors who convert. But this is fairly new. We have one or two in our archdiocese. I can't figure out why married priests who convert from one of those religions can make good priests but men ordained as Catholic priests from the onset cannot get married.

Nell

There a a lot of things that Catholics do that do not make sense. But now, at least married deacons are allowed.

But if their wife dies they cannot remarry.

Nell

She could have meant ex-priets, too. So many priests & nuns left the clergy in the '70s, they're kind of everywhere. I have a very devout Catholic friends whose parents are an ex-nun and ex-priest, and every once in a while some old hippie mentions time in the priesthood and surprises the hell out of me.

She could have meant ex-priets, too. So many priests & nuns left the clergy in the '70s, they're kind of everywhere. I have a very devout Catholic friends whose parents are an ex-nun and ex-priest, and every once in a while some old hippie mentions time in the priesthood and surprises the hell out of me.

You're right, forgot about that even though I know some who left.

Nell

Archived