IGNORED

"Model teacher" berates 1st grader and rips up homework

Rachel333

51 minutes ago, lawlifelgbt said:

I also had another, later bad teacher experience. In this case, I don't think he was TRYING to be bad, but results matter more. He taught 6th grade gym.

Not only were we running the mile nearly every week (and this was before my mom's mandatory gym time forced me into shape, so I was slow and mocked- in fact, working out regularly made running more physically comfortable but did nothing to decrease my mile time), and other really strenuous stuff that made us stinky and self-conscious for the rest of the day since it was a midday class and there weren't proper showers or time to freshen up, he knew I was terrible at gym. And he singled me out for it once. The class was playing some sort of activity game indoors, with groups competing to, IDK, win and get out of the next mile run or something? Anyway, to get points everyone had to complete the activity. But, he said to my group "Well, the other groups need to all get it, but" (looks right at me) "lawlife's group only needs to TRY them." I was paired with kids with a variety of skills, so they all knew he meant the rule change for me. And the other groups were mostly within hearing range, and some of the guys in my group immediately laughed about this and told others. I was so embarrassed, and hated gym for ages, until a college class where we could try different activities, no groups made at random and no competition.

I mean, arguably he meant well, but wouldn't it have been better to quietly watch and award points for trying without announcing it, or even just let me lose? Having my group mad at me would have been better than the whole class knowing I was so bad at gym and making fun of me.

I still hate you, Mr. F.

The gym teacher I had in 4th-6th grade used to pick three of us and make us sit out of the games "so we wouldn't bring down any of the teams". The other girl was overweight. The boy was just not very coordinated or athletic. And I had bad knees and feet from growing unevenly (in seventh grade physical, it was discovered by a new and better doctor that one leg was nearly  3/4 of an inch shorter than the other putting pressure on my knees and ankles...a lift in one shoe and better made athletic shoes with added supports in the arch and heel allowed me to not have pain trying to do PE in jr high and high school). 

I'm not surprised by the teacher turnover. Burnout rate is crazy.

A lot of these no excuses charter's have very high attrition rates as families pull their kids out and no one replaces them. It's much easier to get a high test scores when you have a core group of kids who have been bullied within an inch of their lives

Archived