IGNORED

A seven sister goes to college

16strong

Susannah of Seven Farmgirl Sisters is heading off to college for midwifery. She hasn't said where yet. I also didn't know that she's worked at a post office for three years. And, if any of you remember, Jessica has taken up flying and recently passed her flight exam, and Cassia is working on becoming an EMT. I really do have a soft spot for these girls, and wish the best for them.

Me three :my_shy: the girls' blog are of one the few where it seems their interactions with the outside world seems genuine. I wish the best for all of them.

Another one with a very soft spot for the Seven Sisters.  Yes, they really seem integrated into the wider community and have so much FUN!  They are not isolated, but are outgoing and friendly even though their frumpers and coverings must make people side-eye them.  I thoroughly enjoyed the "Two Sisters go to Washington DC" posts.  They were like two happy Great Dane puppies lolloping around the city and socializing with other people on the tour bus. 

They are also honest, I think.  One of them has blogged in the past about going through a depressed and suicidal period.  I hope she is doing well today.

The only time I got really annoyed with them was when they blogged about "praying away the pain" when a friend was terminally ill with cancer.  It was a few years ago and I think I have the right family.  I remember thinking that Hospice and heavy duty pain meds would be better than the seven sisters prayers.  I suppose the friend might have been on Hospice but they didn't mention it. 

Goodness.  The little boys are really growing up!

I, too, love the sisters.  I bought something for my daughter from their Etsy store a couple of years ago, and they were delightful to deal with.  I am glad to see that they continue to engage with the world.

Another fan here. It is so refreshing to see that there are parents in fundieland who don't prevent their daughters from becoming educated, functional, fulfilled individuals, in the name of some man-made "rule" (face palm).

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

[...]

The only time I got really annoyed with them was when they blogged about "praying away the pain" when a friend was terminally ill with cancer.  It was a few years ago and I think I have the right family.  I remember thinking that Hospice and heavy duty pain meds would be better than the seven sisters prayers.  I suppose the friend might have been on Hospice but they didn't mention it. 

[...]

Ah, yes. Meredith! I remember that well.

Her parents didn't let her get conventional treatment for her cancer. (The prognosis wasn't too bright. They also didn't have insurance, if I remember correctly.) But then they apparently also didn't get her (enough? any?) palliative care and she died at her home shortly after her diagnosis. It was all very sad.

I think the sisters didn't fully understand that just praying about it isn't the way such issues are usually handled ...

I have read their blog before. They do seem nice and vibrantly lively. I like that they seem to have real interests and not just baking and cooking because daddy told me to like it. Flying isn't even that common for a woman in the non-fundie world. 

2 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Where do they live? It sounds like she is going to a school in Wisconsin. 

Indiana, I believe 

OMG finally I go down a pleasant rabbit hole :my_biggrin: I didn't know about this family but I find them quite refreshing, as fundies go. 

Methinks someone in the great beyond ought to orchestrate a Fundie Daughter Swap with the Maxwells... those girls don't know how much fun they could be having!

11 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Indiana, I believe 

I hope she is going here. It's still a midwife program instead of a certified nurse midwife program but it's at least at a two year program at a college. It also has a more solid background then the Duggars education.

https://www.swtc.edu/academics/programs/health-occupations/midwife

I also enjoy the Seven Sisters. And hey, my wife's family lives in Ohio and we always go through Wisconsin/Illinois/Indiana on our way there. I would keep an eye out for the sister going to college, if she is driving back and forth! They really like their Starbucks, so I bet she would stop at one of the Oasis thingies over the Illinois tollway, like we always do. They always have a small Starbucks!

It truly makes me happy when I hear good things happening for these girls!  Count me as another with a soft spot :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Ah, yes. Meredith! I remember that well.

Her parents didn't let her get conventional treatment for her cancer. (The prognosis wasn't too bright. They also didn't have insurance, if I remember correctly.) But then they apparently also didn't get her (enough? any?) palliative care and she died at her home shortly after her diagnosis. It was all very sad.

I think the sisters didn't fully understand that just praying about it isn't the way such issues are usually handled ...

Thanks for confirming my memory.  It was really tragic.  I still find it hard to believe that her parents did not get her (any or enough) palliative care.  That is horrific.

The sisters might be better informed these days.  Isn't one of them an EMT?

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Thanks for confirming my memory.  It was really tragic.  I still find it hard to believe that her parents did not get her (any or enough) palliative care.  That is horrific.

The sisters might be better informed these days.  Isn't one of them an EMT?

Yes, Cassia is training to be an EMT, but I'm not sure that would have helped. Meredith also had a family friend who's a paramedic with her. She apparently still didn't receive morphine or anything else to help her through the suffering.

And after her death one of the sisters (can't remember who now) was jealous because Meredith is in heaven now.

Archived