IGNORED

‘Mock nativity’ scene removed from Texas Capitol

47of74

Texas officials show what such delicate snowflakes they all are;

AUSTIN – A “mock nativity” scene placed in the Texas State Capitol by the Freedom From Religion Foundation was removed Tuesday after Gov. Greg Abbott urged the State Preservation Board to take it down.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said in a statement he supported the order to remove it, stating it violated “the State Preservation Board's regulations for Capitol displays and purposefully mocks the religious beliefs of others.”

The display shows Benjamin Franklin, the Statue of Liberty, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington around a manger containing the Bill of Rights.

According to KVUE's news partner the Austin American-Statesman, Abbott complained in his letter to the Preservation Board that the "exhibit places the Bill of Rights in a manger and shows three founding fathers and the Statue of Liberty worshiping one of America’s founding documents as a replacement for Jesus Christ. This juvenile parody violates the Preservation Board’s regulations and should be removed immediately.”

Here's a picture of the "juvenile parody"...

scene.jpg

I see a missed opportunity to spin this as proof 'Merica is a Christian nation founded on Christian values because even the heathens know the Savior's birth story.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don't see how this display is offensive. Am I missing something, other than Christian privilege?

Nope.

Except... Texas.

*apologies to Texans of reasonable and logical mind

I was expecting this to be something like a zombie nativity, but I am not really getting what is so offensive about this. It actually looks like it would be used to show that this was founded as a Christian nation. 

It took me a minute to even see the nativity. 

If anything, it should be removed for being a terrible parody. 

10 hours ago, roddma said:

So I guess the Statue of Liberty is Jesus? I dont see the Nativity either

The "Nativity" is the Bill of Rights, which is the partially rolled up piece of paper in the manger. I believe they're trying to make a point about how the US was not founded as a Christian nation and that publicly funded Nativity scenes are a violation of separation between church and state (full disclosure: I'm a member of the Freedom from Religion Foundation in real life).

On 12/24/2015 at 6:53 PM, doggie said:

Bunch of butt hurt wanna be Christians

I thought of something the character of Q once said on the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where the Borg were introduced.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed."

I think the same applies here.  If these butthurt little wannabe Christians like Abbott can't take something like this they should go home and crawl under their beds.

Archived