IGNORED

New Chick tract!

I occasionally remember that Chick tracts exist, hop over to chick.com, and find a new one. :dance: How beautiful my life is.

Here's the latest, after I was reminded by duplessis3 in the My Good Deed for the Day thread:

Still No Revival? (Unbroken because they're rather huge and don't engage with individual groups afaik.)

Featuring stalwart reasoning and some shocking revelations:

chick1.png

Oh. My. God. There was something called "The Inquisition"? Why have I never, ever heard of this? Or seen it repeatedly referenced in popular culture and historical discussions? ... Did I used to know, and the Pope sucked it out of my mind? Is the Pope a "Silent"?!

conspiracyp.jpg

What don't they want us to know?

chick2.png

chick25.png

I first heard of Chick tracts a few years ago when a commenter posted a link to them on the Maxwell blog.

The Maxwells later took down the response, but obviously they agreed with it originally to post it at all.

The chick tract site can provide hours and hours of reading (and snarking).

A quick comment before my computer shuts off again! Arggh!

That alien guy with the pope fish hat (Chick tracts say that means something evil, too) looks healthier than the current Pope, I think.

How one limited human being can peer into the heart of another in order to tell the state of that person's being or fate is beyond me. Not that I'm gung ho on confession or praying to people other than God or holding on to salvation through works. (Gothard's got more to worry about than the Pope or any Catholic does in terms of theology.) But come on. It says believe in Jesus (the right one) and confess with your mouth and you're saved. That doesn't mean that you don't have other stuff to work on, but the basics are the basics.

They wouldn't even come close to converting the educated Catholics I know with these tracts. Chick tracts are pretty much considered a joke among Catholics, really.

How one limited human being can peer into the heart of another in order to tell the state of that person's being or fate is beyond me.

Catholics don't believe that priests -- or even the pope, for that matter -- can peer into another person's heart or soul. I'm not exactly a good, practicing Catholic at the moment (I'm more agnostic right now, to be honest), but I've studied Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Christianity in general, and I'm 100% sure Catholicism doesn't teach that.

I can't but laugh at Chick tracks. Has anyone gotten one for Halloween as a tot? I remember my sister and I received them one Halloween years ago from a couple sitting on their porch. In lieu of spooky decorations, they had a TV set up playing a video depicting the crucifixion of Jesus. They also gave out orange hostess cakes. Rrrright.... needless to say, they thoroughly failed in their attempt to convert me. I did eat the cupcake though.

I can't but laugh at Chick tracks. Has anyone gotten one for Halloween as a tot? I remember my sister and I received them one Halloween years ago from a couple sitting on their porch. In lieu of spooky decorations, they had a TV set up playing a video depicting the crucifixion of Jesus. They also gave out orange hostess cakes. Rrrright.... needless to say, they thoroughly failed in their attempt to convert me. I did eat the cupcake though.

My older sons have gotten tracts for halloween, we took them away along with the unwrapped candy, cough drops and the condom one of them got. Just because someone gave our little beggers something doesn't mean we have to allow them to have it. Instead we them keep all the candy, stickers, toothbrushes, pencils ect and took only a small handfull of snickers and such.

They wouldn't even come close to converting the educated any Catholics I knowat all with these tracts. Chick tracts are pretty much considered a joke among Catholicshuman beings, really.

Fixed that for you :D :D I'd believe that some of the artists involved don't believe half of what they're espousing and find it all very lulzy, but I really hope rumours that it's all a giant joke aren't true. I need it to be true that at least the man who started it believes all this half-baked bull.

'Jesus hates Catholics'. Great sense of history, Jack.

On the other hand, I should go easy on Chick. In a way, he was my total gateway fundie back in the day. My Catholic friend and I still have a giggle over his tracts now and again.

My older sons have gotten tracts for halloween, we took them away along with the unwrapped candy, cough drops and the condom one of them got. Just because someone gave our little beggers something doesn't mean we have to allow them to have it. Instead we them keep all the candy, stickers, toothbrushes, pencils ect and took only a small handfull of snickers and such.

As children when we trick-or-treated we gave out tracts as a "thank you" to the people giving us candy. We would go house to house, and when they gave us candy we gave them back a tract.

We only did this when we were really young, because as we got older we went to more houses and I guess my parents didn't want to pay for/steal from church all those tracts. Then eventually we had to stop trick-or-treating because it is apparently evil.

That whole "trick or treating is evil" crap is such bullshit. My sister won't let her children trick or treat for that very reason. So, they look longingly out the window at all the other children having fun and wonder why they can't have fun also. What a sad childhood. Trick or treating is just a bunch of kids dressing in costumes and getting free candy. It's innocent fun unless you twist it to mean something it was never meant to mean. Fundies have some serious issues.

With all of the conspiracies the Vatican is involved in (according to chick) where do they find the time to do all of their good works?

The majority of the anti-catholic chick tracts are based on information by Alberto Rivera who is a lying con-man who claims to be an ex-secretly ordained Bishop that the Jesuits sent out to destroy the Protestants! When no record was found of him ever being ordained even a priest (he was married with 2 kids while he was supposedly living a life of celibacy as a Jesuit priest) he claimed a big conspiracy from Rome to silence him from exposing the Church as the "whore" and the pope as the "antichrist". Catholic AND Protestant scholars say that his lack of knowledge of Catholic liturgical tradition is indicative that he was never a priest.

Quite frankly fundamentalists when they criticize Catholicism screams of jealousy, they will never have the numbers of the Church and they know it. IMO God would never let the devil be so successful! I believe the mainline Protestants are full of good people, true believers who may not agree with some of the teachings of Catholicism, but still respect them as their brothers and sisters in Christ.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but those stupid untruthful tracts make my blood boil. They don't even make sense if you have one shred of common sense in you.

I believe the mainline Protestants are full of good people, true believers who may not agree with some of the teachings of Catholicism, but still respect them as their brothers and sisters in Christ.

That's a good summary of the feelings of this Protestant.

Remember when each religion had some kind of violent conflict with a different religion? That must mean Catholics are bad!

There are people who show up to the local farmers market to hand out tracts. Once, I saw a guy try to hand them to a group of college guys walking by. When the group ignored him, he threw a tract at them and it hit one guy in the shoulder.

Archived