IGNORED

Joey and Rory celebrity fundies

CinderJana

I don't have 75 posts so I was told post here. Joey and Rory are celebrity fudies, I liked them on can you duet but I had no idea that they were this religious. I ran across their blog today and have not finished yet I am very sorry that Joey is dying of cervical cancer.

http://thislifeilive.com/scenes/

I've seen their show on RFDTV before, and find them slightly irritating, but I didn't know they were findies. That's so sad that Joey's got cervical cancer, though.

are they fundies? they're christians, obviously, by the look of their blog, but christian doesn't always equal fundie. it looks like the women wear pants and when they got married he already had two daughters (divorced? widower? can't seem to find that bit of info).

they also sing bluegrass country music that isn't christian...not very typical of the fundies we know. maybe they're just conservative christians?

i remember seeing the news trending on fb when they were stopping her chemo treatments. pretty sad situation overall.

They are more on the conservative Christian side of things, but I would definitely not label them as fundie. I am so heartbroken for both them and their adorable baby girl. :my_sad:

I should have thought before I posted earlier. They are in the conservative Christian group, not fundie. Sometimes it's hard to remember to switch from popular usage of the term "fundamentalist" (which is kind of a catch-all) and apply the definition used here.

Okay maybe fundie-lite they are definitely odd, I've been reading their blog and other things they said, publish, for several hours. They don't vaccinate, they've forsaken a lot of modern technology in their personal life they did a homebirth knowing that they had a high risk breach pregnancy and one use of our favorite duggar catchphrases among other things

Okay correction they did not have any ultrasounds or prenatal care which is still off and there's plenty more where that came from

Okay maybe fundie-lite they are definitely odd, I've been reading their blog and other things they said, publish, for several hours. They don't vaccinate, they've forsaken a lot of modern technology in their personal life they did a homebirth knowing that they had a high risk breach pregnancy and one of our favorite duggar catchphrases among other things

Thanks for this info I didn't know about the vaccine thing. I saw a video of Joey giving birth. & I read in a story after their daughter's birth that they didn't see a doctor or had any ultrasounds. 

This woman is dying, very much sooner rather than later. At the very least, could you be a little bit kind and spare her the snarking. Not all of your information is correct anyway, but I am not going to even get into nitpicking it apart.

I mean, really? If you were in her shoes, how would you feel?

Yes, I know FJ is a snark board, but we are better than this.

Okay maybe fundie-lite they are definitely odd, I've been reading their blog and other things they said, publish, for several hours. They don't vaccinate, they've forsaken a lot of modern technology in their personal life they did a homebirth knowing that they had a high risk breach pregnancy and one use of our favorite duggar catchphrases among other things

Okay correction they did not have any ultrasounds or prenatal care which is still off and there's plenty more where that came from

those things don't necessarily equal

fundie...plenty of new age crunchy types do the same.

i'd honestly never heard of them before, but i'm not into country music so i'm not a good judge on country music artists outside of the big names. it sounds like they pretty much did everything the doc recommended but it just wasn't enough. i hope the family finds benefit from hospice care.

It's probably because I'm and nurse and I have played a part in the process of so many people as they die, but I feel that us FJers should show grace, and only have compassion, to those who are dying- regardless of whether they're fundie or fundie-lite.  There was plenty of time to snark on them long before a terminal diagnosis was announced; and that time to snark on them has come and gone.  There is a little girl who is going to lose her Mama very soon, and that is heartbreaking.  

My impression from reading the blog is that Joey has a preference for natural approaches to medical care but not necessarily for fundie reasons. Rory posted a blog post about a bad experience they had with a doctor who kind of ranted at them for not being more aggressive about getting medical interventions when their daughter was born (the daughter has Downs syndrome and the doctor was upset they didn't immediately have her checked for cardiac defects) : 

http://thislifeilive.com/heart-check/

I also thought that the blog post where he talked about their decision to stop treatment was quite honest and brave...including acknowledging that it was no comfort to him to think that this was part of "God's plan" : 
http://thislifeilive.com/enough/ 

Myself, I am very into modern medicine and would never do a home birth, but I can see why they made the choices they made. 

I do wonder if maybe an ob/gyn would have caught the cervical cancer sooner if Joey had seen an ob for her pregnancy, but sometimes awful things like that happen for no reason at all unfortunately and for all we know seeing an ob during the pregnancy would not have changed the outcome.  

I don't see anything snark worthy about them. They seem like nice people who are in the middle of an awful tragedy. I felt very bad for them when I heard that such a young mother had to face the terrible suffering of cancer treatment so soon after having a baby. It's even worse now that it has become clear that those awful treatments weren't enough to stop the cancer. It sounds like she really doesn't have much time left. :( 

"Bible and a Belt" song was appalling to me.

I do feel bad for them, and especially for their daughter.  A good friend just lost her mother to an absurdly aggressive cancer (dead 2 weeks after diagnosis), and they are reeling from the loss.  It's a real tragedy.

I don't wish their current situation on them, or anyone. It's tragic, and painful and unbelievably sad. Little Indiana is going to lose her mother, Rory his wife, and the family a sister, daughter, aunt and the two older daughters are losing the only person that seems to have been a mother to them. Just awful.

However, that song is dreadful. Lyrics are here: http://www.metrolyrics.com/a-bible-and-a-belt-lyrics-joey-and-rory.html.

But here's a sample:

One my mama read to me
Till I was well into my teens
And I thought all the other one was for
Was to hold up daddys jeans
Till I told a lie and learned
It had another purpose too
And behind the shed, my daddy said
it hurts me more than you?

One led us to heaven
And the other hurt like hell
Those were the days when kids were raised
With a bible and a belt

Charming indeed. 

By modern standards, that's certainly not an okay way to raise your kids, but I also think that it is fairly common for Southern United States folks from Rory's generation (I think he's a little older than Joey) to think that the "whuppings" they got as a child were an acceptable form of discipline or even necessary to make them behave like decent people. IMO, it's a cultural thing. I would not really expect older Southerners to understand why modern people consider it child abuse. To them, it was "normal" and they do not perceive themselves as being harmed by it. 

This woman is dying, very much sooner rather than later. At the very least, could you be a little bit kind and spare her the snarking. Not all of your information is correct anyway, but I am not going to even get into nitpicking itapart.

I mean, really? If you were in her shoes, how would you feel?

Yes, I know FJ is a snark board, but we are better than this.

By modern standards, that's certainly not an okay way to raise your kids, but I also think that it is fairly common for Southern United States folks from Rory's generation (I think he's a little older than Joey) to think that the "whuppings" they got as a child were an acceptable form of discipline or even necessary to make them behave like decent people. IMO, it's a cultural thing. I would not really expect older Southerners to understand why modern people consider it child abuse. To them, it was "normal" and they do not perceive themselves as being harmed by it. 

I feel that us FJers should show grace, and only have compassion, to those who are dying- regardless of whether they're fundie or fundie-lite.  There was plenty of time to snark on them long before a terminal diagnosis was announced; and that time to snark on them has come an

My thoughts Exactly. I have been following them for quite some time and while I may/may not agree with their way of life, it is unfair and unjustifiable to Snark on this woman in her current condition (basically waiting to die). Her child is thriving and her husband is honoring his wife's every dying wish, while dealing with this situation with as much grace, and rooting himself in comfort in his chosen faith, for which are all entitled to do. Faith, not Cult. there is a difference.

Coldwinterskies, He is indeed older than her, perhaps 10 years or so, she just turned 40, he's 50 or 51.

Archived