IGNORED

Can you help a Fascinated heathen understand?

Fascinated

I went to a Southern Baptist church once where there was a massive fight over the Apostles Creed. One group said it is okay to say in church and the other said that it wasn't because not only did it use the ebil word Catholic but it says Jesus went to hell. 

Christy is still one of my favorite books and I was a bit obsessed with the show at one point. I was crushed when they took it off the air. 

in my ifb circles, i was also taught jesus went to heaven. iirc, as far as i was personally taught, the only time he even got close to hell is when he was to cast the devil into the lake of fire in revelation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my cousin got married for the first time it was in a Lutheran church.  Something my Grandpa picked up on was that they used the word Catholic during the creed and he mentioned it during the reception (I went to the reception but not the service itself).

Of course the first thing us Protestants will say about the word Catholic in the creed is that it refers to the original meaning of the word - universal - and not the Roman Catholic Church.

It was carefully explained to me that using the lower case catholic made it OK and not Papist.

I went to a Southern Baptist church once where there was a massive fight over the Apostles Creed. One group said it is okay to say in church and the other said that it wasn't because not only did it use the ebil word Catholic but it says Jesus went to hell. 

Christy is still one of my favorite books and I was a bit obsessed with the show at one point. I was crushed when they took it off the air. 

I was taught that the word "Catholic" in the Apostles Creed meant the universal church--the Bride of Christ.

I'm a big Christy fan, myself.  I actually got to hear the son of the real life "Christy" and "the minister" speak at a church one time.  He is, of course, an older man in his later 60s or in his 70s.  

I was taught that the word "Catholic" in the Apostles Creed meant the universal church--the Bride of Christ.

I'm a big Christy fan, myself.  I actually got to hear the son of the real life "Christy" and "the minister" speak at a church one time.  He is, of course, an older man in his later 60s or in his 70s.  

I didn't hear the Apostles Creed until visiting my boyfriend's Methodist church.  I was amazed to hear the line about believing in the Catholic church.  He told me that the M. Church branched from the C. Church way back when.  

Christy was my favorite book for ages.  As a child I tried to be Anne of Green Gables, as an older teen and young adult I wanted to be Christy.

Wow, this is news to me. I thought it was pretty much accepted by Catholics and Protestants that Jesus descended into hell. Then again, the Catholic interpretation of this is that Jesus liberated the characters from the Hebrew Bible from "the limbo of the fathers" into heaven, since they weren't able to get in before because of original sin, despite being righteous. Since Protestants don't believe in Purgatory, I guess it might make that passage a bit difficult to digest.

Wow, this is news to me. I thought it was pretty much accepted by Catholics and Protestants that Jesus descended into hell. Then again, the Catholic interpretation of this is that Jesus liberated the characters from the Hebrew Bible from "the limbo of the fathers" into heaven, since they weren't able to get in before because of original sin, despite being righteous. Since Protestants don't believe in Purgatory, I guess it might make that passage a bit difficult to digest.

At least some Protestants believe the above as well. I was raised in a Baptist church, and while I don't think it was official church teaching, some people believed in what you refer to as "the limbo of the fathers," although I never heard it called that.

From a non-religious perspective, Abraham's story was written for the Israelites who entered Canaan with all its "interesting" religious practises. And it was meant to ban the Israelites to take over these practises, especially the sacrifice of a first born son; therefore the story's dramatic nature and everything. The message had to be clear, "If you kill your child, you do not please your God, you betray your God."

The Israelites took over some of Canaan's idols and rituals anyway, of course.

Exactly.  Much of the OT doesn't make sense unless you read it in the context of a religious power struggle with the Canaanites, and understand the extent to which the two groups were connected.

we live in a culture that privileges the Christian narrative above all others, so it seems normal to most people. As an aside, I don't find C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" to be very compelling, and I think the only reason it does for many people is because we live in a culture that considers Christianity to be the default religion, so they are automatically predisposed to accept its claims. I imagine that in Turkey there is probably a "Mere Islam" book and a "Mere Hinduism" book in India.

It's interesting how many people assume "proving the existence of God" is the same as "proving the Bible is true." Just establishing that a God exists does not mean that God in any way resembles the Christian God. Or that any currently established religion is true. 

Archived