IGNORED

What are your kids reading?

Grimalkin

My son is in first grade, after three girls I realize I only have a few books I think he may like. We have the HP books, some books about dogs....Animal Ark I think, what's popular with the boys? So far he is big on non-fiction early readers about sharks and giant squids and the like. I like to keep a variety of books because you never know what will catch their interest. He is not quite ready for chapter books, but I would like to get familiar with the genre,

While we are on this subject, in case people are looking for books for their kids,

My nine year old girl recently read and loved The Doll People series by Ann M. Martin (my older girls liked it too)

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine- she has several good books

Candy Apple series which is meh.

Princess Academy- don't remember author

She is starting to like the Warrior series by Erin Hunter about cats.

* I don't know if I posted this or dreamt it but I have some fuzzy memory of a guy at the bookstore telling me that Babysitter Club books are being made into a graphic novel.

my daughter is only 3 so obv she is on a different reading level than your son. but I like to share them anyway :)

the story of life (a first book about evolution)

a year around the great old oak

good night gorilla

the emperor 's egg

farmer duck

lots of things to spot around the world and the big book of things t spot.

if i had a velociraptor

rain player

maps(big picture maps with little drawing of things typical in the country)

Animalium( great for amazing her gran when is astounded that em knows what a long arm squid and what a short arm squida nd what a sponge is ;) )

On a beam of light

where the forest meets the sea

happy

the shortest day of the year : celebrating the winter solstice.

lots more

but these are the more regular read books ;)

That's great Morri, I think it could be useful for people to mention age and books their kids like so we can get some ideas. Sounds like your daughter likes lots of things! My son always got antsy at story time. He LOVED Strega Nona. Pout Pout Fish was fun for him too.

I don't have kids, but when I was growing up I loved the Magic Treehouse Series.  It would definitely appeal to any gender.  Oh, they are chapter books, but maybe you can get them to prepare for when he is ready to start those.  

Hmm... what else did I like at that age..

Boxcar Children, Series of Unfortunate Events, everything by Roald Dahl

OMG I just googled "Best childrens books 90's" which is when I was growing up, and what a treasure trove of nostalgia.  

The Stinky Cheeseman, No David, Louis Sachar

11 Year old son is reading anything he can get his hands on by Rick Riordan.  He can't wait until his grandparents get home from their vacation because they picked him up the latest book.  He'll read them over and over again. He's now obsessed with Greek and Roman gods and wants to go to Greece and Italy.  He's also going as a Greek god for Hallowe'en. He's also read all the HP books.

10 Year old son will only read Goosebumps bumps.  We went to the movie last night and throughout the movie he could tell me exactly which monster came from which book.  He's getting a Christopher Pike book in hopes that he might branch out to another author in the same genre, because until the last six months, asking him to read a book would make him cry.  

11 Year old son is reading anything he can get his hands on by Rick Riordan.  He can't wait until his grandparents get home from their vacation because they picked him up the latest book.  He'll read them over and over again. He's now obsessed with Greek and Roman gods and wants to go to Greece and Italy.  He's also going as a Greek god for Hallowe'en. He's also read all the HP books.

10 Year old son will only read Goosebumps bumps.  We went to the movie last night and throughout the movie he could tell me exactly which monster came from which book.  He's getting a Christopher Pike book in hopes that he might branch out to another author in the same genre, because until the last six months, asking him to read a book would make him cry.  

My 11 year old is obsessed w/Rick Riordan books too.  She also reads the Warrior series by Erin Hunter, but only the cat series, she doesn't care for the other branches at all.  She loves the Familiar series by Epstein and Jacobson.  Oh, and she just started reading graphic novels and LOVES them, mainly the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.

I can't believe I forgot about Magic Treehouse.Derp. Goosebumps have been around forever! Glad they are still around.

My 10yo is also obsessed with Rick Riordan books. She just finished the last available book in the Heroes of Olympus series and she says there's another one coming out soon. 

The NERDS series by Michael Buckley, about a group of super spy kids, who seem to be typical nerds at school, is big in our house.

My 12 year old is obsessed with Rick Riordan. He turned her from a non-reader to a voracious reader.

My 11 year old really liked Escape from Mr Lemoncello's Library.

My 8 year old like Minecraft guide books, Pusheen, The Stink Books, and graphic novels.

We just gave a friend's 6 year old lots of Junie B Jones books (I hate them but the kids seem to like them).

I have relented on the Junie B. books. I used to be a bit of a snob about it, but I had it easy with my older kids who took to reading like a duck to water. My nine year old is starting to enjoy it now. My son read a Biscuit book to me last night and I read Diary of a Worm to him. A fun read.

When my kids were younger they loved that Warrior series about cats, the Lemony Snicket books, and the Narnia series.  I read aloud to them a lot when they were wee ones, even after they could read they loved for me to read in the evenings.  That was their first exposure to Tolkien, we read The Hobbit aloud.  

The Little House series and The Secret Garden were big favorites too.

Archived