IGNORED

Boy Scouts USA going fundie?

fundiefun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't girlie, but it significantly less high adventure than BSA. Which is unfortunate for them because they lose so many to venturing and sea scouts.

Treemom, I'm curious what you mean by adventure, because as a Girl Scout I did tons of camping, hiking, white water rafting, canoeing, orienteering type things (of course, I realize that these might not be nearly so common throughout the organization as it was in the troops I was in, and the activities that I described might not be what you mean by adventure).

Treemom, I'm curious what you mean by adventure, because as a Girl Scout I did tons of camping, hiking, white water rafting, canoeing, orienteering type things (of course, I realize that these might not be nearly so common throughout the organization as it was in the troops I was in, and the activities that I described might not be what you mean by adventure).

Actually I meant high adventure. A good example is BSA Philmont. That level of high adventure is much more uncommon and difficult for Girl Scouts to obtain. Of course in certain areas it will be easier or harder than average. By and large however Girls Scouts are offered less opporunity to do the SCUBA Diving, Technical climbs, hiking at altitude, etc.

Which is why BSA Venturing has been really sucessful, as much for the Boys who want it as the girls and young women who join. It offers something that GUSA just isn't doing. And you could argue there are a lot of reasons for that, not ones that GUSA is whole in control of.

ETA: This is not meant as a criticism against GUSA really because I realize the varied reasons that Girl Scouts don't have the same amount of access to things. But the truth is they have an easier time if they join BSA Venturing or Sea Scouts than they do if they try to find it through the GUSA traditional channels.

Archived