IGNORED

Sick cat

Sola

I'm so sorry. Watching your beloved feline headship be sick is the absolute worst. I'm glad things are going ok for right now, and enjoy your time with her. Sending hugs from another kitty mommy.

• 2 months later...

So sorry to hear about kitty. I hope she is with you and is continuing to do well. I once had an old cat with kidney disease. She crashed about a year before she actually died. I was able to keep her going and happy for another year. If you need some advice, let me know. I've been through it before.

Glad to hear your kitty is feeling better. Her coloring is beautiful. My first cat lived to the ripe old age of 19, and was the best cat to grow up with--they are truly the best animals :wink-kitty: (mea culpa to dog lovers)

I almost didn't post, because I lost my 15-year-old baby five weeks ago. my other four cats are still adjusting to her absence.

she had respiratory issues, and like you, I wanted her to pass at home. (I had to put down 2 cats within a month of each other 2 years ago) yes, it was easier for me that she "went on her own terms," so I didn't have to worry that I was waiting too long or not long enough, and her passing was fast and appeared peaceful. she had been sleeping on my pillow all night, then woke up at 5 am, jumped to the floor, and three minutes later was gone.

Please know that you're making wise choices for your kitty, and that her entire life has been better because of you. I hope she continues to improve.

Aw, thank you so much, everyone! She's still doing well. Yay potassium supplements! I've told her that she should stay around as long as she's happy and not in pain. I also told her she wasn't allowed to die last week when I was out of town for my wedding, and she apparently listened. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about others' losses. It's amazing how much they get into our hearts, and so hard when it's time for them to go. As much as I'll always want more time with my pets, I appreciate that the shorter lifespan means that I can be there with them their whole life.

:group-hug:

• 2 weeks later...

I hope your baby is continuing to do well. I lost my baby kitty 3 years ago to renal failure and it was horrible, so I fully understand how you feel.

About a month after she died, I did go to an animal rescue and selected another kitty headship. He was just 5 weeks old and basically grew up on my shoulder and bosom. Now that he's 3 years old he can't fit up there anymore but still tries. just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you. I can't have to the two-legged children so furbabies are all I have.

I did keep Mia's ashes though, so she is always with us.

Furbabies, I'm sorry to hear about losing your cat. It's awesome that you found a new headship! My cat used to get on my shoulders like that. When she was full grown she started jumping up onto my shoulders when I was sitting at my computer, draping herself across my neck like a kitty scarf. :)

She's still doing well! I'm really happy, but she does seem to be winding down a bit.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad your cat recovered. She looks very pretty, she's wearing her age well.

My cat is also 18 and counting, except we're about done with the and-counting part. He was just diagnosed with the big C and it's too aggressive and blah blah blah to treat so he's home and I'm basically doing kitty hospice care at home until his quality of life is such that blah blah blah. It's terribly sad so I've started drinking a lot and that helps.

Fucking cats. Why do they make us love them so much? Because they're assholes, that's why. Giant, furry, loveable old assholes. Cry!

I am so glad your beautiful kitty recovered. I lost my oldest cat in 2012 at 20 years old. He was 3 weeks shy of 21. I still miss him every day.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my cat is still fundamentally OK, but she has a new, disgusting problem.

Seriously, disgusting feline TMI that I'm only sharing because I don't know you people in real life.

"Spite poop" has already been in the vocabulary in my house for a while. Sometimes, my cat will let us know she's angry about something by pooping one piece of regular poop in an obvious place. But now we have a new term, which began when my husband came upstairs and casually informed me that my cat "had exploded."

The first time this happened, I did not know what to expect at all and it was way worse than I'd imagined. It's like all of the food in her body needs to leave it, immediately, in whatever form it's currently in and by the closest orifice. She'll be OK and walking around, then suddenly start uncontrollably and violently throwing up and squirting poop everywhere. It's like the Ryan's Steakhouse story, but without the apologies and cleaning it up herself. She's so clearly miserable that my heart breaks for her.

It's happened about four times now. The vet thinks it's a worsening of her IBD, for which she's already on a special diet. Now she gets a probiotic in her food along with the potassium.

She managed to combine these two lovely things once by exploding, then squeezing through the baby gate, going down two flights of stairs, creeping into the back corner of my husband's office, pooping, and covering it with a CD jewel case. Amazing.

She sleeps with us, and every time I hear her digestive tract making any kind of noise I get nervous. :D

In less disgusting news, she's not able to groom herself to her usual standard so I've been doing it for her. I like to brush her while she's eating because she's so preoccupied with it (now that she's on a schedule instead of all-day access to food) that she'll deal with being brushed for a few minutes past her normal tolerance point. The funny part is that she's formed an association and will walk over to the food bowl now if I start brushing her. :D

She's been a lot more interactive and cuddly lately (and she's a champion cuddler), so despite her disgusting problem she's humming along just fine healthwise for the time being.

I'm sorry, I feel like I totally shouldn't laugh but I can't help it. Gross shit cracks my ass up! But your poor kitty, she's probably feeling like crap (pun... intended?). I'm glad to hear that otherwise, she's doing well.

We had some Poop Issues That Shall No Longer Be Discussed when I was making catfood soup for my recently departed kitty... not from him, but from my fucking dog who could not help himself from pushing my cat aside to snarf up all the "yummy delicious" catfood soup. It sucked. It already sucks to have a sick pet but then to deal with poop constantly... ugh!

I laugh about it, too. Later. ;)

We've got a 19 year old cat who is going downhill, so I understand the rollercoaster of emotions that come with the good and bad days. Your kitty is beautiful and she is extremely fortunate to have people who are devoted to making the most of the time she has left.

Archived